Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use my iPhone as a media server to 16GB iPad?

Options
  • 21-11-2019 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I have an older iPad Air 16GB which is now almost 6 years old, it works perfect for what I use it for. I use it primarily watching TV for long distance commutes, trains and planes. Streaming is not an option on a train due to the pathetic data coverage and obviously not on a plane. Since it has just 2GB of free space left I have to stream to the iPad.

I currently use an older Samsung Android phone with Bubble UPnP

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en_IE

I can throw all my .mkv vids onto the memory card and the samsung will stream across by creating a hotspot to the iPad. I then watch them on VLC player on the iPad.

However this is extremely haphazard and yesterday whilst on the train to Dublin I had to restart the android phone and iPad around 3 times as it is buggy as hell.

I have an iPhone XS 256GB and I'd prefer to just upload the media files to it and use it for the streaming if possible. I always have the phone on charge anyway so it won't effect battery life.

Any apps or what would you recommend, I'm not going to buy a new iPad for what is only a few times per month usage.

Advertisement