Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Just a thought but could there be a law here already that handles the ira and that “a member of a terrorist organisation” that has seen a lot of Irish people jailed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I thought you would be down to greet her home.
    You and Margaret could take her for a coffee.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone who wants to see the law applied and doesn't necessarily want a public lynching is a Lisa Smith sympathiser.

Read the thread you bore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just a thought but could there be a law here already that handles the ira and that “a member of a terrorist organisation” that has seen a lot of Irish people jailed already.

There is it's something to do with being part of a prohibited organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yurt! wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone who wants to see the law applied and doesn't necessarily want a public lynching is a Lisa Smith sympathiser.

What would you like to see happen here?

Stheno wrote: »

Unlike other countries like the US or the UK, Ireland as far as I'm aware doesn't have an international proscribed organizations list.

Could pose a problem, and in this globalised world, it's probably high time we had one. There would probably be legal hiccups though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have read a couple of comments suggesting we were legally obliged to bring her home, FF spokesman yesterday said something similar.

I imagine the embassy in Turkey were obliged to help her and if she wound up getting a flight here we would be obliged to let her in.

But what law is there to suggest we have to facilitate her return, i.e. get her on a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

A bore. Better than trying to sound educated when you're really not. . Read the thread as-hole.

Surely this can apply to her but I very much doubt we ever hear of anything after it’s swept under the rug.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's the kid that will need to be watch as she grows up, 2 ISIS terrorists for parents the hate will be bred into her.

I watched a clip about the ISIS kids in the camps and the hate they have for the west is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The IRA was covered under an older domestic terrorist act I believe. The new one that covers people who have travelled abroad is pretty much untested.
    It will need evidence to prosecute just like any other case.

Do the DPP have the means to obtain evidence on what happened in Syria?
    I somehow doubt it.

• Advertisement

What would you like to see happen here?

A thorough investigation of her activities in Syria, for her to be held to the maximum amount of time under the law so that such a thorough investigation to take place. And the DPP to go after a prosecution like a dog with a bone.

I have my doubts as to whether we have strong enough legislation to nail her though, which is why I've advocated for such legislation in this thread.

I just hate this dull Daily Mail barstool 'tar and feather her' brigade. We're a democracy with protections against torture and unusual punishment (unlike the Islamic State, but I think it's lost on those brainiacs).

A bore. Better than trying to sound educated when you're really not. . Read the thread as-hole.

I didn't know we had a Harvard alumnus on the thread. I'm honoured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Unreal. Letting this scumbag back into the country. We truly are a soft ****ing touch. She wouldnt get back into the states or Austrailia thats for sure.

Who paid to bring her back?

Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

An absolute scandal she is allowed back into Ireland.

Unreal. Letting this scumbag back into the country. We truly are a soft ****ing touch. She wouldnt get back into the states or Austrailia thats for sure.

Joke.

You do know we had no choice in the matter right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

An absolute scandal she is allowed back into Ireland.

She’s Irish

Boggles wrote: »
    I have read a couple of comments suggesting we were legally obliged to bring her home, FF spokesman yesterday said something similar.

I imagine the embassy in Turkey were obliged to help her and if she wound up getting a flight here we would be obliged to let her in.

But what law is there to suggest we have to facilitate her return, i.e. get her on a flight?

My suspicion given she was accompanied by Turkish security is that she was deported in a vanilla fashion from Istanbul.

Similarly, when people are deported from Ireland, they are deported on commercial flights accompanied by GNIB officers.

tuxy wrote: »
    The IRA was covered under an older domestic terrorist act I believe. The new one that covers people who have travelled abroad is pretty much untested.
    It will need evidence to prosecute just like any other case.

Do the DPP have the means to obtain evidence on what happened in Syria?
    I somehow doubt it.

Would there be enough evidence from what she done before she left social media quotes etc. and some evidence from the likes of people who knew her “the lady on the joe Duffy show” . I’m far from knowledgeable on this but surely there is enough for some kind of court case.
    At least she is arrested now.

tuxy wrote: »
    You do know we had no choice in the matter right?
    You do know what IS are right?

Joke.

Unless an individual had dual nationality with another country; Aus and the USA would most certainly have to take them back. Both countries are party to international treaties preventing statelessness.

• Advertisement

Unless an individual had dual nationality with another country; Aus and the USA would most certainly have to take them back. Both countries are party to international treaties preventing statelessness.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

would’ve preferred if the govt had removed her citizenship and left her there for the rest of her life.

Would’ve served as an example to anyone else considering going.

Would there be enough evidence from what she done before she left social media quotes etc. and some evidence from the likes of people who knew her “the lady on the joe Duffy show” . I’m far from knowledgeable on this but surely there is enough for some kind of court case.
    At least she is arrested now.

No her crimes were committed outside of Ireland and any evidence would have to be rock solid, especially since this is a unique case for us. We don't have laws against thought crimes here. The evidence would have to be her actively training other IS member or recruiting, something tangible.

RTÉ saying She had 4 jihadi husbands over there apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

This thread is pure clown car stuff. Well done all for having the time to waste to even remotely care about this.
    Pity you weren’t on London Bridge on Friday. You could have explained this to the guy in the suicide vest.

would’ve preferred if the govt had removed her citizenship and left her there for the rest of her life.

Would’ve served as an example to anyone else considering going.

She was deported by Turkey, we could not stop that.

The scumdog will be flat out with the media falling over her now. Going to make a solid fortune.

Joke.

We should’ve done what the Uk did and take citizenship off her and the child

RTÉ saying She had 4 jihadi husbands over there apparently.

We know it's been covered for some time now.
    She divorced them because they were not radical enough for her.

• Advertisement

The scumdog will be flat out with the media falling over her now. Going to make a solid fortune.

I just hope ppl remember all of this circus when it comes to the next election. Thanks Leo and co. Clowns

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement