Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Her parents did no such thing. And we have no idea who in the family is taking care of the baby. Could be a sibling/cousin/ Aunt/Uncle. Nor do we know what conditions they have to adhere to re who the child can and cannot be in contact with. That's what TUSLA are for.

Your confidence in Tusla's ability to oversee this unfortunate child's upbringing is endearingly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

you dont have to take an oath with most jobs

I would say this is why its even worse, she basically took an oath and then turned her back on it and the country when she went and joined ISIS.

I know the family friend on here is using her service as a defense of her but i don't think it is. She took the military training from a neutral country and turned it into something fairly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

you dont have to take an oath with most jobs
    You don't have to take the job.

You don't but when you do take it and you take that oath you are stuck with allot more ****ty terms and conditions than a normal job and you cannot just leave it either.

Thats not how a national army works.

elperello wrote: »
    You may not realise it but you are insulting members of our Defence Forces.
    That's their issue if they take insult.
    I suggest you look up the Oath they take on joining.
    Don't care. They don't have to do it.
    The type of opinion you are espousing is unfortunately all too common in Ireland, in other countries more respect is shown.
    The OTT crap done in other countries, such as next door and the US, is becoming too common. Respect, in any form of life, is earned, not handed out willy-nilly such as what you are suggesting.
    Someone from the Gardai, Nursing, Defense Forces, Fire Brigade, Doctor, insert job..... who merits respect, I will respect. Not just because of their job title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i can't see joining a group which is hostile to Ireland and has killed the citizens of our EU colleagues as anything but treasonous. her being an ex DF member is actually irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This thread is about LS you waded in and said membership of the Defence Forces was just a job.
    It's not and it has been explained to you.
    Please don't continue to insult some of our best.

I wish my job was a permanent piss up, oath or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

This thread is about LS you waded in and said membership of the Defence Forces was just a job.

True. And they are paid like **** as well.

Calhoun wrote: »
    You don't but when you do take it and you take that oath you are stuck with allot more ****ty terms and conditions than a normal job and you cannot just leave it either.

Thats not how a national army works.
    If they take it, that's their choice and that's what they sign up to.
    I know someone who was in the defense forces and did come under fire when working abroad under the flag of the UN. I respect the bravery he showed and what he had to endure. I just don't hand that respect out to all en masse due to their job title and chosen field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes it is. They work. They get paid. They can quit. It's a job.

No, it's not " Just a job"...you are given order's and you obey them. You are ordered what to do, where and and when to do it, you work the time's you are ordered to. Not to mention that some of the Country's you may be sent to "work" in are not exactly the safest place's on earth.
    Nope, it's not just a "Job".

Relax. It's a job. We don't all have to submit to your idealism.

If they take it, that's their choice and that's what they sign up to.
    I know someone who was in the defense forces and did come under fire when working abroad under the flag of the UN. I respect the bravery he showed and what he had to endure. I just don't hand that respect out to all en masse due to their job title and chosen field.

I would look at it from the perspective though that those who insist that respect be shown for services rendered to the country also must accept that what she did with her training and even going to the likes of ISIS was a spit in the face of it.

So not only does she not deserve respect for her service but she must be judged even harsher than a normal citizen who has gone abroad to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Oh come on. Everyone thinks their job is the most important yadda yadda yadda. By any definition it's a job. You're not ascetic monks seeking enlightenment; it's paid employment for a role with a few institutional bells and whistles tacked on. This ain't America, you can leave the 'brave and the proud support out troops' rhetoric at the door.

And for what it's worth, I do think the rank and file are underpaid relative to other public servants - officers are well looked after however.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Oh come on. Everyone thinks their job is the most important yadda yadda yadda. By any definition it's a job. You're not ascetic monks seeking enlightenment; it's paid employment for a role with a few institutional bells and whistles tacked on. This ain't America, you can leave the 'brave and the proud support out troops' rhetoric at the door.

And for what it's worth, I do think the rank and file are underpaid relative to other public servants - officers are well looked after however.
    I certainly agree with that. If the state wants to hire them, then they should pay them a decent wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

LUK AFTA ARE EOIN FURST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Even the Mosque in Dundalk don't want her says another white Muslim girl from there:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1201/1096317-lisa-smith-carol-duffy/

But at the bottom of the article it also says "if she comes into worship we can't stop her"
    Make your mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Even the Mosque in Dundalk don't want her says another white Muslim girl from there:

But at the bottom of the article it also says "if she comes into worship we can't stop her"
    Make your mind up.

Freedom of religion is in the Irish constitution under fundamental rights.
    She could not be removed from a mosque unless she was doing something illegal.

Make your mind up.

Big difference between “don’t want” and “can’t stop”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Make your mind up.

They - going on a previous interview - can block her from the various activities based around the mosque, but can't block her from worship per se.

This is a fairly thorough talk with one of the senior figures covering that and other related issues

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/former-friend-lisa-smith-talks-smiths-imminent-return-ireland

Didn't listen? - They weren't sorry she left, and are unhappy at the thought of her return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Legally she could enter, but on the other hand a legal level of peaceful protest could be displayed to her, whereby it would be somewhat impractical (but still possible) to attend.

Sure give it just a few weeks/months and they'll all be chillaxing with more conversons on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Getting a feeling that going to the mosque will be the least of LS's problems.

She is possibly a fair weather Muslim anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s not though. Vradkar is looking after his own affairs to the detriment of the rest of us.

By sticking to agreements made in the EU and not breaking international law? I think that’s the minimum he should do.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Has anyone heard that Lisa Smith was flown into Baldonnel on Tuesday?

Close but no cigar,.it was actually today at 10:30am ohhh and at Dublin airport.
    Your Welcome..
    But if it's of any consolation::your post was the first of hundreds of fake news posts in this thread :p

Getting a feeling that going to the mosque will be the least of LS's problems.

She is possibly a fair weather Muslim anyway.

So far she had stuck to her Islamic guns ......a factor that will play a big part in where ( if any) place she will frequent in the near future.. Whereas the English Girl, Begum, has backed off the hardline isis stance...she is no longer as ardent a fan, it seem's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’ve not been paying a lot of attention to this, but what has she actually done wrong, other than marry someone unsavory and move to a kip Of a place? Is there actually some evidence that she has been involved in crimes other than posts on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

jmreire wrote: »
    So far she had stuck to her Islamic guns ......a factor that will play a big part in where ( if any) place she will frequent in the near future.. Whereas the English Girl, Begum, has backed off the hardline isis stance...she is no longer as ardent a fan, it seem's.

I would think that she, and the like of her, would say Mass now to get back to western home comforts and out of that situation they put themselves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Great to have her home. Her and Michaela McCollum should do a big brother type show for rte. Maybe a challenge where they both have to investigate each other to see who is still a baddy.

I’d pay a subscription to that stuff. Put the garlic importer an ex Ira bomber and Malcolm MacArthur(because it sounds like michaela McCollum) in there as well for a love island twist.

I’ve not been paying a lot of attention to this, but what has she actually done wrong, other than marry someone unsavory and move to a kip Of a place? Is there actually some evidence that she has been involved in crimes other than posts on the internet?

Sure it can be said that we all makes mistakes, especially in our youth,fair enough. But Lisa cannot use this as an excuse.
    First, she was a mature women when she made the decision to join isis...the marriage bit would have been secondary, as an unmarried woman in the islamic state would not be well received....and it would have severely limited her movements.She would have to have a male guardian with her at all times outside the house.
    Second, isis was well established in their caliphate when she joined, and their atrocities were well documented.Whether she actively took part in committing these atrocities or not remain's to be seen ( and proven ) Even if she did not commit any killing etc. as she claims, how any right thinking person could deliberately think about, let alone join such a murderous organization as isis is beyond normal rational thinking.
    In Germany ( and other Country's )...even joining a terrorist organization is in itself a jailable offence. And if you have committed any killing's or terrorist offence's, the sentence will be that much greater.

• Advertisement

Ah, ya know, only knowingly joined of the most evil, barbaric death cults in history. Lisa was recruited online, at a time when their videos of torture and beheadings were all over the internet (and often used as a recruitment aid). She knew exactly what she was signing up for -- to assist establish and extend the 'caliphate'. When asked afterwards "was it all worth it?", she replied "No. Because we didn't succeed".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement