Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yurt! wrote: »
    Oh come on. Everyone thinks their job is the most important yadda yadda yadda. By any definition it's a job. You're not ascetic monks seeking enlightenment; it's paid employment for a role with a few institutional bells and whistles tacked on. This ain't America, you can leave the 'brave and the proud support out troops' rhetoric at the door.

And for what it's worth, I do think the rank and file are underpaid relative to other public servants - officers are well looked after however.

I think you take your freedom for granted. The Armed forces are the guardians of the state. Not necessarily from foreign invaders but from internal forces. If a government or president goes rogue, or if the Garda goes rogue, we'll always have the armed forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I’ve not been paying a lot of attention to this, but what has she actually done wrong, other than marry someone unsavory and move to a kip Of a place? Is there actually some evidence that she has been involved in crimes other than posts on the internet?

She married a few until she found one dodgy enough to suit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So she joined a terrorist organisation, thousands of Irish have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think you take your freedom for granted.

Not in the slightest.

Fingers crossed Miggledy doesn't 'go rouge'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

So she joined a terrorist organisation, thousands of Irish have done that.
    And they faced prison or been shot. Lisa will go be spending what, about 150K of the taxpayers money per year?
    She probably burned thru over a million this year with the Army ranger wing dossing around there for months, plus dept foreign affairs time, politicians time spent on this issue, Garda time, Tusla time etc etc.

It's not like we have any need for money, as one of the most indebted nations in the world sure we are fooked anyway. No bleating about homelessness or sick kids dying though... you get Lisa instead.

• Advertisement

I’ve not been paying a lot of attention to this, but what has she actually done wrong, other than marry someone unsavory and move to a kip Of a place? Is there actually some evidence that she has been involved in crimes other than posts on the internet?

Well, this is it isn't it.
    We don't know i suppose how involved she was.
    But if all she did was marry an Isis fighter, then there should be a lot of Irish women arrested over the years!
    At the end of the day, ahe is not going to be charged with anything, I'm surprised they even arrested her, given the lack of evidence of any crime.

bubblypop wrote: »
    But if all she did was marry an Isis fighter, then there should be a lot of Irish women arrested over the years!
    At the end of the day, ahe is not going to be charged with anything, I'm surprised they even arrested her, given the lack of evidence of any crime.

Here's hoping a file had been built up on her activities since she was detained in Syria. Weren't AGS in and out of the region building a picture of what she was up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

And they faced prison or been shot. Lisa will go be spending what, about 150K of the taxpayers money per year?
    She probably burned thru over a million this year with the Army ranger wing dossing around there for months, plus dept foreign affairs time, politicians time spent on this issue, Garda time, Tusla time etc etc.

It's not like we have any need for money, as one of the most indebted nations in the world sure we are fooked anyway. No bleating about homelessness or sick kids dying though... you get Lisa instead.

So anyone who joined a terrorist organization on this island has been shot or locked up have they?

The rest of your post is just filler.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought engaging with members of terrorist organisations was a crime here?

Here's hoping a file had been built up on her activities since she was detained in Syria. Weren't AGS in and out of the region building a picture of what she was up to?

Sure what activities could she have been doing since being detained?

• Advertisement

Sure what activities could she have been doing since being detained?

I think they were interviewing other detainees with regard to her activities over the past few years, at least that's what an article I read suggested. And she was probably interviewed by other nations' security forces also. If the BBC were talking to her, you can take it that more serious actors were as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭The gray bird

She's trained by our army in using weapons theres no doubt she was training isis fighters how to use them over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

She probably burned thru over a million this year with the Army ranger wing dossing around there for months

Just to completely dismiss this point for those who may believe it. The Army Ranger Wing were not "dossing around there for months".

It was less than 2 weeks.

The point still stands, she will cost the State money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She's trained by our army in using weapons theres no doubt she was training isis fighters how to use them over there

Yes but evidence is needed to proceed with any court case. How will the DDP obtain the relevant evidence for a war torn Syria?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Friday's events in London prove that the treat lies not only with those who have been radicalized, but also the liberalized who live in a fluffy candy floss world at the expense of the innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Close but no cigar,.it was actually today at 10:30am ohhh and at Dublin airport.
    Your Welcome..
    But if it's of any consolation::your post was the first of hundreds of fake news posts in this thread :p

I did try and tell them that it was a Defence Forces charter flight as part of the UNIFIL rotation but I was shouted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

I think they were interviewing other detainees with regard to her activities over the past few years, at least that's what an article I read suggested. And she was probably interviewed by other nation's security forces also. If the BBC were talking to her, you can take it that more serious actors were as well.

I'd say that no matter what questions the Gardai ask, she will have answer's for..the Americans, the Kurd's and laterly, the Turk's. will have asked already.....and not too politely either. Not too much of " you have the right to remain silent" ect. That's a different world over there....... but unless they have managed to interview some Yazidi's, ( or other's) who actually saw Lisa committing or helping isis commit crimes, it will be very hard to find evidence to convict her of anything. And if the Yazidi's knew she had done anything, you can be sure that that there would not be an need for her to be brought home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I did try and tell them that it was a Defence Forces charter flight as part of the UNIFIL rotation but I was shouted down.

Yeah because you were wrong, and still are. It was a DOJ migrant flight not a UNIFIL rotation.

I thought engaging with members of terrorist organisations was a crime here?

Well not exactly.
    Associating with members of an unlawful organisation can be evidence against someone in a case where that person is charged with membership of an unlawful organisation themselves.

No they didn’t. There are still Irish people joining the British army, and the last time I check being married to a terrorist isn’t illegal.

Is there actually any evidence of a crime or are the government having her arrested just to be seen to be doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

elperello wrote: »
    Forcible adoption blighted this country for many years.
    We are still trying to deal with the human misery it caused.
    We are not going back there.
    Yes, you're right of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

No they didn’t. There are still Irish people joining the British army, and the last time I check being married to a terrorist isn’t illegal.

Is there actually any evidence of a crime or are the government having her arrested just to be seen to be doing it?

We all know that she will be out on the street in a few weeks due to lack of evidence against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

jmreire wrote: »
    Except that her relatives have already said that they will take care of the child...there is no talk of adoption or taken into care etc. At the end of the day, the law is the law, she is Lisa's Baby, so for sure she will have a say in the matter. Bearing in mind that as the Law stands. Lisa is innocent until proven guilty...and proving her guilty, that's going to be some task for the state. Because what ever she may have done abroad, she has not done anything wrong here in Ireland. It's quite conceivable that next week, she will be free as a bird, and reunited with her Child

Looking at aka Lisa Smiths case as objectively as is possible she willingly wanted to become and became a Muslim, wanted to adorn the Muslim garb immediately, married Muslim men, wanted to live in a country/ area that practiced the branch of Islamic faith that she believed in and all this lead to her ending up in The ISIS Calipate in Syria . And during all this time- unless she was living under a stone and of little or no intelligence/ comphrension- she was aware of the utter revolting behavior of the organization she wished to become a member / be part of. Mass beheading, throwing people off roof tops to their death, burning people alive in cages, knocking down very old structures of great historical significance , etc, etc comes to mind.
    So , she being so immersed in the whole ideology of her new ‘home’ aka the ISIS movement , I NOW WONDER WHAT HER NEXT BIG ACTION WILL BE on behalf of ISIS. There is always a first time. Some boar dies have said ‘ but she has not killed anyone as far as we know’. We will never know if she will act as a singular sleeper cell. The guy who knifed two people to death - even after he having been ‘ checked out’ and currently out on some kind of a release license
    By the British police - comes to mind.

We all know that she will be out on the street in a few weeks due to lack of evidence against her.

So therefore she did nothing illegal, but plenty wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So therefore she did nothing illegal, but plenty wrong.

Even with much stricter laws it's unclear if the Garda or DPP can obtain evidences outside of the EU and close allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sounds a bit like diminished responsibility to me. So either there will be no evidence of terrorism, or if there is, the DR defence may be claimed. Just my view of course.

She will be out in 24 hours due to no evidence, I would imagine

Sounds a bit like diminished responsibility to me. So either there will be no evidence of terrorism, or if there is, the DR defence may be claimed. Just my view of course.

There is no offence in this country of being a member of a terrorist organization in another country.

She will be out in 24 hours due to no evidence, I would imagine

Shouldn’t be long before she arranges her first killing then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've noticed that RTE insists in saying the 'so called' Islamic State.

Some definitions of 'so called' after a search:
    inappropriately named
    supposed
    alleged
    presumed
    So it seems RTE think that IS may not really exist?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement