Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I've noticed that RTE insists in saying the 'so called' Islamic State.

Some definitions of 'so called' after a search:

So it seems RTE think that IS may not really exist?

They are correct.

The "Islamic State" does not actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is no offence in this country of being a member of a terrorist organization in another country.

I wonder why she was arrested on arrival in Dublin on suspicion of terrorism offences, any ideas? Terrorism in ROI?

I thought I read somewhere that some Act or other included foreign terrorism as a crime by an Irish resident/citizen. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've noticed that RTE insists in saying the 'so called' Islamic State.

Some definitions of 'so called' after a search:

So it seems RTE think that IS may not really exist?

While isis exists as a terrorist group...they have never been recognised as a "State". Hence the "So Called" . RTE are correct.

I wonder why she was arrested on arrival in Dublin on suspicion of terrorism offences, any ideas? Terrorism in ROI?

I thought I read somewhere that some Act or other included foreign terrorism as a crime by an Irish resident/citizen. Not sure though.

You can be arrested under section 30 of the offences against the state act, for a number of offences, I would be interested myself in the offence for which she was arrested.
    The offence, here, is being a member of an unlawful organisation. That does not cover terrorist organisations outside the state.
    There are in fact only 2 unlawful organisations in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

She has been arrested. And evidence has been gathered on her since 2012. There is a fair enough chance she will be going to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

She has been arrested. And evidence has been gathered on her since 2012. There is a fair enough chance she will be going to prison.

I some how doubt she will be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

tuxy wrote: »
    Even with much stricter laws it's unclear if the Garda or DPP can obtain evidences outside of the EU and close allies.

And if they obtain evidence of a crime in another country, she can’t be tried for that here.

Oh oh, I'll have a bet the opposite way with you!

And if they obtain evidence of a crime in another country, she can’t be tried for that here.

That depends on the crime, some can.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She’ll be free tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

But sure, isn't it great all the same to see immigrants returning, eager to make a positive contribution to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Ireland has now set a potentially dangerous precedent by this move, other countries will now be told to take back a lot of radicalized Isis scum, which will reintroduce these dangerous people back into society to strike out again. Honestly they should all have been left there to face justice from the locals who the hurt, persecuted and killed.

It was very convenient for her to dismiss her citizenship when it suited to enable (if proven not participated) in Isis agenda and now they were put down hard wishes to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Flase. Extraterritorial jurisdiction has been a feature of Irish law for quite a long time...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterritorial_jurisdiction_in_Irish_law#:~:targetText=The%20state%20of%20Ireland%20asserts,1861%2C%20as%20adapted%20in%201973.P

She’ll be free tomorrow.

After a file has been sent to the DPP, i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

jmreire wrote: »
    While isis exists as a terrorist group...they have never been recognised as a "State". Hence the "So Called" . RTE are correct.
    When RTE say she went to Syria to join IS they are referring to the terrorist group and not a 'state'.
    There is nothing 'presumed' or 'alleged' or 'so called' about these terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You can be arrested under section 30 of the offences against the state act, for a number of offences, I would be interested myself in the offence for which she was arrested.
    The offence, here, is being a member of an unlawful organisation. That does not cover terrorist organisations outside the state.
    There are in fact only 2 unlawful organisations in Ireland.

What about the Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005? A CAB like SI was signed to amend this Act to cover situations like LS in March this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Is it confirmed that the child she has with her is actually her child? Wasn’t born here, nor registered here. wonder if there was even a registration of birth over there..... yet it’s an Irish citizen????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

screamer wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that the child she has with her is actually her child? Wasn’t born here, nor registered here. wonder if there was even a registration of birth over there..... yet it’s an Irish citizen????

The family took the kid in, I doubt they'd have done that with some degree of certainty to who it is.

What about the Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005? A CAB like SI was signed to amend this Act to cover situations like LS in March this year.

Yea, but they have to prove first that she did engage in those activities, I doubt they will be able to.
    And she cannot be charged with being a member of an unlawful organisation here. Like I said, there are only 2 unlawful organisations here. It will be very interesting to see, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

There is no offence in this country of being a member of a terrorist organization in another country.

Why has the government not incorporated the proverbial paragraph into Irish law as soon as the Lisa Smith saga Wes initially known about. Or even b4 that when it was known that some Irish and other citizens living here were helping out the ISIS cause
    Gov should be proactive rather than being reactive

• Advertisement

Field east wrote: »
    Why has the government not incorporated the proverbial paragraph into Irish law as soon as the Lisa Smith saga Wes initially known about. Or even b4 that when it was known that some Irish and other citizens living here were helping out the ISIS cause

For sure, it is something that government need to sort out.
    For so long we only had domestic terrorism here, times have changed, time to change the law.

screamer wrote: »

Irish parent = Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

She’ll be free tomorrow.

Bitch, she told me she was busy and had plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Field east wrote: »

Maybe because then they would have to treat every IRA member in the North or UK the same as Smith. I would assume a certain party in the Dail would have a field day if anyone even tried it. Until proof is put on the table she is no different than Gerry Adams...both claim never to have done anything wrong or to have been involved in terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ireland has now set a potentially dangerous precedent by this move, other countries will now be told to take back a lot of radicalized Isis scum, which will reintroduce these dangerous people back into society to strike out again. Honestly they should all have been left there to face justice from the locals who the hurt, persecuted and killed.

It was very convenient for her to dismiss her citizenship when it suited to enable (if proven not participated) in Isis agenda and now they were put down hard wishes to come back.

No Ireland has not. The ability to deport someone to their home country has been law for a very long time. Turkey made it very clear what they would be doing with these people that have no right to stay in Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yurt! wrote: »

By feature you mean it’s there in theory but never used in practice?

By feature you mean it’s there in theory but never used in practice?

It has been used, trying to remember the defendants name now..... Brought to court here for a murder outside the jurisdiction

Edit
    Was convicted but overturned on appeal, Gerard Mackin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No they haven't unless precedent means one of the last countries to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I doubt she will, but in a decent country she would be locked up forever or face the death penalty.

• Advertisement

I doubt she will, but in a decent country she would be locked up forever or face the death penalty.

Well, only if the decent country could actually prove she committed an offence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement