Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

tuxy wrote: »
    Lisa has no claim of citizenship to any other state, it is illegal for us to make her stateless.

Can we not just pay the fine like they do the illegal VRT? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Anybody that joins a group like ISIS has mental health issues. It is not a mitigating factor.

I’m not so sure. I used to think like that but now I accept that some people are just truly awful and want to visit terror on others and more then that, dominate and control others.
    I think that Lisa Smith thinks that she’s vastly superior in every way to most other people and that she should be controlling others and giving them orders and punishing them if they don’t comply.
    That doesn’t make her insane.
    It just makes her a very bad person.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

nthclare wrote: »
    What would you think so ?

A dog with a mallet up his hole knows she's not to be trusted.

The liberals say otherwise. She should be giving a chance as Assad would of tortured her personally.

She may of been part of a death cult and would love to see infidels die, but that's nothing that cant be hugged out of her. She may stab a few people on a bridge after been left out but lets wait and see before casting assumptions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

If she was remorseful and regretted her involvement with the Islamic state, was straight up and honest and sincere.

If she was transparent and accountable for her involvement, I'd say ok give her a chance to find her way back to society.

But I'm reading comments here,and I cannot decifer if people are being the devil's advocate or just being sympathetic towards her, and being liberal and leaning towards a leftist response rather than being practical.

I'm slightly dyslexic so I hope I'm coming across ok

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If she was remorseful and regretted her involvement with the Islamic state, was straight up and honest and sincere.

If she was transparent and accountable for her involvement, I'd say ok give her a chance to find her way back to society.

But I'm reading comments here,and I cannot decifer if people are being the devil's advocate or just being sympathetic towards her, and being liberal and leaning towards a leftist response rather than being practical.

I'm not sure who specifically referring to here but my responses have been completely practical. Somebody has to act as a counterweight to those who think internment without trial, convicting people without evidence and just general disregard for reality is an acceptable position to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

so you have evidence of her committing terrorist acts personally? you should forward it to garda HQ because i'm pretty sure they have nothing.

I didn't claim to have any evidence against her, as you perfectly well know.

Once again, we see that when people start a sentence with 'So you... ' they really are just being tiresomely dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I haven't read a single comment here defending her or even playing devil's advocate. Just comments pointing out the facts of Irish and International law.

Personally, I would have preferred we got the child out of the war zone and away from the hate filled murder advocating fascists (because that is what they are) and let Lisa face the consequences of her decision. But that was or an option, apparently, so here we are.

I didn't claim to have any evidence against her, as you perfectly well know.

Once again, we see that when people start a sentence with 'So you... ' they really are just being tiresomely dishonest.

you want to put somebody on trial when we have no evidence they have committed a crime. do i have that right at least?

I'm not sure who specifically referring to here but my responses have been completely practical. Somebody has to act as a counterweight to those who think internment without trial, convicting people without evidence and just general disregard for reality is an acceptable position to take.

I understand your position, but I think people who are in the know are more emotively charged by what went on in Syria and Iraq with IS

If she lasted as long as she did it's either sheer luck or she was a professional soldier.

I don't know if she ever became a ranger, like some of my friends have.

But she should have been well capable in the arts of war.

Art's of war I remember that line when Long Shank IE Santa threw your man out of the window of the castle in Brave Heart...

You will see responses in this thread that can’t be interpreted any other way except being sympathetic to Lisa Smith.
    These posters are people who prize their own personal liberty and rights over those of society in general.
    It’s central to being a liberal.
    “So, a few people get stabbed and a bunch of kids get blown up at a pop concert. That’s sad, but it would be much sadder imo if we set a precedent by locking dangerous people away again, because that might mean that I am restricted in doing exactly what I choose in the pursuit of my own personal fulfilment and satisfaction”.

• Advertisement

I understand your position, but I think people who are in the know are more emotively charged by what went on in Syria and Iraq with IS

In the know about what? what is it you think i am ignorant of? and they are certainly emotively charged people on this thread. unfortunately there are few intellectually charged posters.
    If she lasted as long as she did it's either sheer luck or she was a professional soldier.

I don't know if she ever became a ranger, like some of my friends have.

But she should have been well capable in the arts of war.

Art's of war I remember that line when Long Shank IE Santa threw your man out of the window of the castle in Brave Heart...

a ranger???? she was a flight attendent on the government jet for the last half of her time in the PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

ELM327 wrote: »
    Why are we stuck with our isis woman when the UK was able to revoke the citizenship of theirs?
    I thought we enacted legislation allowing citizenship here to be revoked when needed?

(Genuine factual question, I'm looking to understand why a woman with isis links who is refusing to cooperate with our authorities has to remain here)

It is against UN law to leave someone stateless. The difference with what happened in the Begum case is that she had entitlement to 3 different nationalities and held dual citizenship. By removing her UK citizenship, she still held a passport for a 2nd country and the ability to claim citizenship in another

splinter65 wrote: »
    You will see responses in this thread that can’t be interpreted any other way except being sympathetic to Lisa Smith.
    These posters are people who prize their own personal liberty and rights over those of society in general.
    “So, a few people get stabbed and a bunch of kids get blown up at a pop concert. That’s sad, but it would be much sadder imo if we set a precedent by locking dangerous people away again, because that might mean that I am restricted in doing exactly what I choose in the pursuit of my own personal fulfilment and satisfaction”.

that is about as stupid a take as i expect to see on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There is a difference between being logical and explaining the reality of the situation and being sympathetic to her. Just because I'm not advocating breaking international law does not mean I do not think she deserves to be punished.

It is against UN law to leave someone stateless. The difference with what happened in the Begum case is that she had entitlement to 3 different nationalities and held dual citizenship. By removing her UK citizenship, she still held a passport for a 2nd country and the ability to claim citizenship in another

she didnt hold dual citizenship. her bangladeshi citizenship was only notional. what other nationality did she hold?

that is about as stupid a take as i expect to see on this thread.

What stupid about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Please link to the posts sympathetic to Lisa

What stupid about it?

everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Absolutely. There’s people falling over themselves to reply to every “should have left her there” post. They literally won’t let one go.
    The lady doth protest too much and all that.

everything.

Ok. I think that all of your posts are stupid. Everything about them is stupid. As stupid as stupid can get. Inexplicably stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

she didnt hold dual citizenship. her bangladeshi citizenship was only notional. what other nationality did she hold?

The UK is claiming that she can now apply for Bangladeshi citizenship to prevent herself from being stateless. This of course is being challenged.

I’m not so sure. I used to think like that but now I accept that some people are just truly awful and want to visit terror on others and more then that, dominate and control others.
    I think that Lisa Smith thinks that she’s vastly superior in every way to most other people and that she should be controlling others and giving them orders and punishing them if they don’t comply.
    That doesn’t make her insane.
    It just makes her a very bad person.

It could however indicate Narcissistic Personality disorder which is a mental illness

In the know about what? what is it you think i am ignorant of? and they are certainly emotively charged people on this thread. unfortunately there are few intellectually charged posters.

a ranger???? she was a flight attendent on the government jet for the last half of her time in the PDF.

I know that, there's a lot of people in the Irish army who are medic's, too and have a lot of other experience in different trades.

They could be engineer's one week,then 4 weeks later slopping out in mud huts in East Timor, crawling through low lying shrub's....

Just because she was a flight attendant doesn't mean she couldn't have been a professional soldier either.

Intellectually charged poster's, to me that statement is word salad.

So you're saying that you're more intelligent than the other posters, those kind of statements are very absolute rather than being practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It could however indicate Narcissistic Personality disorder which is a mental illness

From her various interviews I'd go more with her being arrogant ,calculating and evil than mentally ill.

I don't think people are being sympathetic towards her, I do however feel that a lot of people are aware of the law as it currently stands and are extremely frustrated that the government did not get its ass in gear, considering they had plenty of time, to put appropriate legislation in place so they could actually do something

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Has there ever been a Female Irish Ranger?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Please link to the posts sympathetic to Lisa

All of the posts arguing that she’s technically not done anything wrong in a legal sense, all of the posts arguing as to why she had a right to be repatriated, can all be interpreted as sympathetic to Ms Smith.
    A natural human reaction would be to be repulsed and revolted at someone who was so attracted to the monstrous brutality of a regime like ISIS that they went to enormous lengths to be a part of it.
    And to be apprehensive about such a person being free to return to live unrestricted in the general population.
    Of course your absolutely free to feel that her civil liberties should not be curtailed in any way. That’s your right.
    But at least be honest about it.

From her various interviews I'd go more with her being arrogant ,calculating and evil than mentally ill.

I agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

She wasn't repatriated, she was deported. We had no choice but to take her as an Irish citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

All of the posts arguing that she’s technically not done anything wrong in a legal sense, all of the posts arguing as to why she had a right to be repatriated, can all be interpreted as sympathetic to Ms Smith.
    A natural human reaction would be to be repulsed and revolted at someone who was so attracted to the monstrous brutality of a regime like ISIS that they went to enormous lengths to be a part of it.
    And to be apprehensive about such a person being free to return to live unrestricted in the general population.
    Of course your absolutely free to feel that her civil liberties should not be curtailed in any way. That’s your right.
    But at least be honest about it.

So what do you want?

An echo chamber of mouth breathers trying to out Edgelord each other by describing how they would torture her?

There is other sites that cater for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement