Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Boggles wrote: »
    Is intent to join or actually join evidence that can be used in a prosecution that would lead to a conviction?

That's really the only pertinent question.

My personal opinion is I don't think she is the vulnerable sheep she is making out to be.

intent to join or even actually joining ISIS was not a crime. I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I hope she dosent end up on the Late late, I don't want to know anymore about this clown than I need to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

intent to join or even actually joining ISIS was not a crime. I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned before

Was ???

But maybe that could be changed at a stroke of a pen and backdated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I hope she dosent end up on the Late late, I don't want to know anymore about this clown than I need to

Well I won't be watching. Do you think anyone in this country would, I believe the Irish people have enough integrity to boycott such a thing. Don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I dont think anybody should be detained if there is a lack of evidence. is that a controversial opinion?

Controversial? Not at all.

But it really is not as simple as you guys are making out. Just because there may be no evidence, it doesnt give her carte blanche to say she did fcuk all over there.

Its.a discussion board, I get it but we should all be deeply concerned by Lisa Smith spending 4 or so years in ISIS. You don't walk away from that with clean hands, c'mon now.

Do you acknowledge that Lisa Smith actively pursued a life with ISIS...not Islam now, ISIS? She did

Do you know what attrocities ISIS have conducted? You should.

Do you accept that Lisa Smith (after seeking it out) knew what she was joining? She would have.

He interviews plainly demonstrate her continued support for ISIS. They do.

Do you acknowledge that despite our lack of physical evidence, Lisa Smith's ideological mindset (evidenced by her clothing attire) may not have changed since deciding to join ISIS?

Being cogniscent of the above, in addition to the unlikeliness of successful reintegration into Irish and Muslim society, you are happy for her to be set free?

Intent may not be a form of evidence but fcuk me, she is not as innocent as people want her to be.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    Was ???

was as in the event we are talking about has already happened. and we do not backdate laws. I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned before as well.

and you think that US intelligence might have information on one specific individual? I mean, they might, but unlikely.

If she had a very active role in training others then there is a reasonable change that there is some evidence. But I'm still not overly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

tuxy wrote: »
    Well I won't be watching. Do you think anyone in this country would, I believe the Irish people have enough integrity to boycott such a thing. Don't you?

Tubridy is a hopeless interviewer anyway for a serious topic, it would only be car crash tv

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have yet to see anyone of any importance or significance announce that as a fact to be fair.

Her Barrister is going along the lines of "she never joined".

So there is definitely a clue in that.

Ultimately it will be the DPP who decide and maybe precedence set if they get a conviction.

Controversial? Not at all.

But it really is not as simple as you guys are making out. Just because there may be no evidence, it doesnt give her carte blanche to say she did fcuk all over there.

Its.a discussion board, I get it but we should all be deeply concerned by Lisa Smith spending 4 or so years in ISIS. You don't walk away from that with clean hands, c'mon now.

Do you acknowledge that Lisa Smith actively pursued a life with ISIS...not Islam now, ISIS? She did

Do you accept that Lisa Smith (after seeking it out) knew what she was joining? She would have.

Do you acknowledge that despite our lack of physical evidence, Lisa Smith's ideological mindset (evidenced by her clothing attire) may not have changed since deciding to join ISIS?

Being cogniscent of the above, in addition to the unlikeliness of successful reintegration into Irish and Muslim society, you are happy for her to be set free?

Intent may not be a form of evidence but fcuk me, she is not as innocent as people want her to be.

why would i be happy for her to be set free? where are you getting that from? unfortunately i recognise the reality that she will most likely be set free unless the gardai know something and are keeping it to themselves. the information in public domain would suggest she will be set free.

• Advertisement

What benefit is it to come up with make believe fantasy answers to the problem, things that can never happen.
    It's better to keep the conversation based in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So what do you want?

An echo chamber of mouth breathers trying to out Edgelord each other by describing how they would torture her?

There is other sites that cater for that.

Well for a start it would be nice if you refrained from describing those who don’t agree with you as “mouth breathers”. You do this across thread after thread.
    Some people are very extreme in their attitude to threats to civilised society, like LS.
    Some people just think that they’d like to see a bit more control over people who pose a risk to the general public.
    To you they’re all “mouth breathers” for some reason.
    You’re narrow minded ness is shocking.

*sigh* I'll ask one more time and then i am done with this thread. I can only handle so much stupidity in one day.

what crimes do you think Lisa Smith has committed? Actual crimes, not things that you think should be crimes.

You are infering that I am stupid?

I'm sorry for being stupid and thinking membership of ISIS is a bad thing.

Im sorry for being stupid and thinking that in 4 years of being in ISIS that Lisa Smith wasnt just the cleaner.

Lets be honest, you are bowing out because you wont admit she may have killed 20 people but its all ok...theres no evidence.

I have yet to see anyone of any importance or significance announce that as a fact to be fair.

Her Barrister is going along the lines of "she never joined".

So there is definitely a clue in that.

Ultimately it will be the DPP who decide and maybe precedence set if they get a conviction.

there is a list of proscribed terrorist organisations for which simply being a member is a criminal offence. ISIS is not one of those organisations. there are other terrorists offences around providing aid, assistance and what have to to terrorists. to find her guilty of those offences requires actual evidence of her doing something. merely being in Syria while ISIS were in charge is not sufficient.

Im sorry for being stupid and thinking that in 4 years of being in ISIS that Lisa Smith wasnt just the cleaner.

Lets be honest, you are bowing out because you wont admit she may have killed 20 people but its all ok...theres no evidence.

she may have killed 20000. she may have killed 0.

What benefit is it to come up with make believe fantasy answers to the problem, things that can never happen.
    It's better to keep the conversation based in reality.

Theres no fantasy in my quoted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

nthclare wrote: »
    Was ???

You can't backdate laws FFS.

Some of the stuff being spouted on here is a perfect example of why 'hard cases make bad law'.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Well for a start it would be nice if you refrained from describing those who don’t agree with you as “mouth breathers”. You do this across thread after thread.
    Some people are very extreme in their attitude to threats to civilised society, like LS.
    Some people just think that they’d like to see a bit more control over people who pose a risk to the general public.
    To you they’re all “mouth breathers” for some reason.
    You’re narrow minded ness is shocking.

and how they respond to those threats is the very definition of mouth-breather.

Theres no fantasy in my quoted post.

Within the constraints of Irish law, what do you believe should be done at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Within the constraints of Irish law, what do you believe should be done at this stage?

This is the key question.

It's not about what we wish would happen, or what we think the law should be, it's about what the law is right now, and, under current law, what might or might not materialise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

there is a list of proscribed terrorist organisations for which simply being a member is a criminal offence. ISIS is not one of those organisations. there are other terrorists offences around providing aid, assistance and what have to to terrorists. to find her guilty of those offences requires actual evidence of her doing something. merely being in Syria while ISIS were in charge is not sufficient.

Again though, it's not really a fact until it's tested ultimately by the courts.

It could come down to something as mundane as ISIS needed women to keep the fighters "happy" and to produce children. Assistance.

I wouldn't be confident enough ruling out a conviction based on our untested current legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

How can they admit someone may have done something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'd say she'll be sentenced to live in Muirhevnamor, Dundalk, which may or may not be preferable to Kurdish jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

How can they admit someone may have done something?

I admit that Lisa Smith may be history's greatest monster.

But I don't see any evidence that she committed a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The fact that she got back here in one piece is evidence enough that she was useful to or assisted them.

Is intent to join or actually join evidence that can be used in a prosecution that would lead to a conviction?

That's really the only pertinent question.

My personal opinion is I don't think she is the vulnerable sheep she is making out to be.

Having no legal expertise, I cant personally say.

If the judiciary do not take intent and capability into account in cases, then that would be surprising.

Im sure intent on its own is not going to secure a conviction but we dont know what AGS has or does not have.

and you think that US intelligence might have information on one specific individual? I mean, they might, but unlikely.

Well yeah, thats how intelligence works, its highly likely.

The fact that she got back here in one piece is evidence enough that she was useful to or assisted them.

Do you think that may be the extent of evidence against her?
    It's good that the Gardaí are holding her for another 24 hours, it looks like they are doing all they can to present a usable file for the DPP but I do worry that it will not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

This German ISIS bride got 5 years

https://www.dw.com/en/german-islamic-state-bride-jailed-for-5-years/a-49482891

"

News
    German 'Islamic State' bride jailed for 5 years

Sabine S. traveled to Syria and Iraq to marry an Islamic State (IS) fighter and praised jihadi life in several blogs. She left her two children in Berlin after becoming radicalized.

Sabine S arrives in court (picture-alliance/dpa/M. Murat)

A 32-year-old German woman on Friday was sentenced to five years in prison for being a member of the "Islamic State" (IS) terrorist organization.
    At the start of the trial, the defendant said: "I wanted to live under Islamic law, but not fight." She subsequently renounced her membership of the group."

Who does that remind you of?

• Advertisement

she may have killed 20000. she may have killed 0.

I respect your.opinion and I don't want to getbinto petty tit for tat but it's very very unlikely that she did not assist ISIS in some form. For a trained soldier NOT to show another person how to maintain or use a weapon is unimaginable.

She actively sought out and joined ISIS....nobody does that just to be a baby maker and a cleaner....in a ****hole.of a country that is being bombed to the hilt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement