Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jimd2 wrote: »
    I see that they have to charge or release her by 10:25 am today. To me that is quite restrictive on the DPP and the Garda and as they were dealing with an unusual and probably very complex case.

There is a big push in the UK to change the various rules of detention and release in cases involving Islamic / terrorist related offences following the London Bridge attack last week. I think this should be considered here also.

The UK brought in some of the strictest most controversial anti terrorism laws after 7/7.

If she were in the UK she could be held for 28 days or beyond and her access to legal advise limited.

But again, evidence is needed to build a case and ultimately secure a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

tuxy wrote: »
    You normally don't have to pay for it when in custody. It's normal for the Garda to order fast food for anyone detained long enough.

Like I said, you can eat what you want, if you pay for it yourself.
    I wasn't suggesting that they just let you starve otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

just waiting for

released without charge

A file is now being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecution

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

just waiting for

released without charge

A file is now being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecution

Would you prefer if they put her in a cage and set fire to her like ISIS do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

She would probably be very helpful in instructing them in this exercise if they were going to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Miike wrote: »
    The fake broken English is the icing on the cake :pac:

That broken English is very common in Irish convert's to Islam.

Ibrahim Noonan is a pure Deise from Waterford but he speaks in that broken English.
    Now and again he break's out with the Waterford twang.

Nice guy though, I've spoken to him a few times in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

nthclare wrote: »
    That broken English is very common in Irish convert's to Islam.

Ibrahim Noonan is a pure Deise from Waterford but he speaks in that broken English.
    Now and again he break's out with the Waterford twang.

Nice guy though, I've spoken to him a few times in Galway

If they are at the ****e you just know they are weirdos, craving some attention Islam seems to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That's some leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

Being a cu nt

Jaysis, the jails would be overflowing if that was a criminal offense !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

She's due to be released in 15 minutes.
    How will we know what happens next, will there be a statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm not sure what she can be charged with.

Anyway, if the police know there is no charge in Ireland regarding being a member of a foreign terrorist organisation, well that's that then. They may have something else up their sleeve though, we don't know.

If they have decided to release her I'd say it's already done and she has gone to a safe house or wherever at 4am this morning to avoid publicity.

But I am often wrong about these things, so let us see what happens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Charged and to appear in court this morning!
    RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She is to be charged and will appear in court soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not sure what she can be charged with.

Anyway, if the police know there is no charge in Ireland regarding being a member of a foreign terrorist organisation, well that's that then.

While the Offences Against the State Act 1939 and its subsequent amendments was primarily introduced to deal with terrorism from a domestic perspective its provisions can be applied in an international context.

The Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005 was introduced in order to further enhance the State’s response to international terrorism. This Act gives effect to a number of international instruments directed to terrorism and meets commitments which the State has undertaken as part of the European Union and the broader international community, including the United Nations.

The 2005 Act also amends Irish law and, in particular, the Offences against the State Acts, to address the problem of international terrorism in a domestic context.

Specifically, Section 5 of the 2005 Act provides that a terrorist group that engages in, promotes, encourages or advocates the commission, in or outside the State, of a terrorist activity is an unlawful organisation within the meaning and for the purposes of the 1939-1998 Acts. Accordingly, the Offences against the State Acts now apply with any necessary modifications and have effect in relation to such terrorist groups.

-www.justice.ie

Báil hearing I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boggles wrote: »
    Báil hearing I imagine.

Is that when you pay money to the Dáil?

What’s she been charged with?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Prison is too good for this one

Polygamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

On the news last night that they were concentrating on her bank accounts (money transfers etc). Could she be charged with funding terrorism?

• Advertisement

Polygamy.

lol love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Assuming she is, I don't think it's confirmed it will probably be member of an unlawful organisation under Offences Against the State or something similar.

Well the goons who were saying they won't find anything on her, can eat humble pie

Polygamy.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Polygamy.

Is she on tinder?

She'd have a bit too much baggage for me in fairness........but then these days plenty of fellas wouldn't mind that she already has a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Remanded in custody with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If she's remanded in custody can she be questioned further or is that it?

Plenty of humble pie to be served to various posters on this thread

All the self appointed experts on this thread are very quiet this morning

• Advertisement

Plenty of humble pie to be served to various posters on this thread

absolutely, but sure those people will backtrack and come up with any excuse to downgrade their naivety.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement