Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Lets hope they have solid evidence provided by America who interviewed her twice in the camp in Syria.

brucky wrote: »
    Has her daughter been taken into care, are TUSLA aware that her 2 year old daughter could be at risk of FGM?

Daughter is in the care of relatives probably under the supervision of Tusla.

Poor little mite must be so scared of all the strangers.

Has her daughter been taken into care, are TUSLA aware that her 2 year old daughter could be at risk of FGM?

The daughter is being cared for by relatives and monitored by TUSLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do we have the option to revisit the death penalty via referendum for this instance? That's the only thing those barbarian idiots understand.

For clarification, the idiots being referred to are limited to members of a terrorist organization and like minded individuals who are set on destroying the west, and is not racist or sectarian in any way,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Daughter is in the care of relatives probably under the supervision of Tusla.

Much better than where she has come from all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

tuxy wrote: »
    Lets hope they have solid evidence provided by America who interviewed her twice in the camp in Syria.

Well it wasnt just the US and not just twice.

ELM327 wrote: »

I don’t know. If she is with relatives, she will always know who her mother is. Will she be angry at the world on behalf of her mother?

Do we have the option to revisit the death penalty via referendum for this instance? That's the only thing those barbarian idiots understand.

For clarification, the idiots being referred to are limited to members of a terrorist organization and like minded individuals who are set on destroying the west, and is not racist or sectarian in any way,

Not unless we leave the EU and then we could reintroduce it by referendum but it couldn't be applied retrospectively.
    I don't see the benefit of possibly creating a martyr but whatever floats your boat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Well, it has to be more comfortable than a tent in the desert with explosions going off and mental ISIS wifes beating non-ISIS kids, stabbing Kurdish guards and encouraging kids to believe in the Jihad.

On the other hand....Dundalk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Her daughter was placed in the care of her family by TUSLA. Do ISIS practice FGM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Exactly and for me, that's the crux of the whole thing. From an altruistic and moral stand point I think the Irish government is doing the right thing in bringing that baby to Ireland. The problem is that she comes as a double package with her mother. You couldn’t take one without the other really.

We now have the big problem of what to do with Lisa Smith but I still think the right decision was made to ensure that baby can get a chance at life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any anagram lovers?

LT. ISIS HAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

That article seems out of date. The section 6 seems to relate to the charge she was arrested under, not the official charge in court which I now expect to be section 13 of the 2005 Act. They probably have enough to charge her under this due to historical bank records. There may be further charges under sections 4,5 or 6, but evidence will be more complicated for those charges.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Her daughter was placed in the care of her family by TUSLA. Do ISIS practice FGM?

There were some limited reports of it happening in Iraq, why do you ask?

Wow, I am surprised, but maybe as someone mentioned that got some evidence from the Americans.
    It's a real test case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

FGM ISIS https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/isis-ordering-female-genital-mutilation-in-iraq-city-un-says-1.1876905 Its a cultural thing, like getting married as a child, lots of wonderful things associated with such cultures that can enrich the life of others in different societies.

Dante7 wrote: »
    That article seems out of date. The section 6 seems to relate to the charge she was arrested under, not the official charge in court which I now expect to be section 13 of the 2005 Act. They probably have enough to charge her under this due to historical bank records. There may be further charges under sections 4,5 or 6, but evidence will be more complicated for those charges.

There are no charges under section 4 or 5.
    The offence is under section 6.
    Will be interesting to see her charge today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Section Six (1)(i) of the Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005 which makes it an offence to join a foreign unlawful organisation."

will be tough for her to wriggle out of that one!

although, with all the media coverage, is it even possible for her to receive a fair trial? she might go that route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

well certainly but a not guilty verdict would be something in her favour

Yes legally, but in public opinion, she will always be an isis terrorist,,,with all that implies. She will now find herself living in a very hostile society, free or jailed, she is in for a tough time either way. And I for one won't have any sympathy for her.
    My only concern now is that (1) She is found guilty, and (2 )is that it carry's a long jail sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bubblypop wrote: »
    Tbf, people are innocent until proven guilty.
    Internment is never an answer & only ever makes more recruits for the organisation that is interned.

Yeah, the mass Japanese bombings of USA in the 40s prove that. Oh wait, that never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

will be tough for her to wriggle out of that one!

Her lawyer has already been out saying she just wanted to live in an Islamic State, not to join ISIS.

As for the fair trial, I think this will be in front of the Special Criminal Cpurt, no jury to be influenced. The three Judges are supposed to be immune to that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Boggles wrote: »
    If she is found not guilty will it change your mind about her?

You seem quite sympathetic towards her. Big fan of ISIS are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

FGM ISIS https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/isis-ordering-female-genital-mutilation-in-iraq-city-un-says-1.1876905 Its a cultural thing, like getting married as a child, lots of wonderful things associated with such cultures that can enrich the life of others in different societies.

None of which we neither need or want here in Ireland....

bubblypop wrote: »
    Wow, I am surprised, but maybe as someone mentioned that got some evidence from the Americans.
    It's a real test case though.

AFAIK it's a section 13 charge based on her past financial records.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Her lawyer has already been out saying she just wanted to live in an Islamic State, not to join ISIS.

As for the fair trial, I think this will be in front of the Special Criminal Cpurt, no jury to be influenced. The three Judges are supposed to be immune to that stuff.

How can people set up a State within a State. You would have to set up alternative Courts, schools, etc that only teach Islamic law, sounds like she should have gone to the UK to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Were there actually people who wanted her to go free?
    I mostly saw posts concerned that they may not have enough evidence.

I agree. No one said they wanted her to go free.

People raised concerns that the current laws may not be strong enough to actually pin something on her.

How can people set up a State within a State. You would have to set up alternative Courts, schools, etc that only teach Islamic law, sounds like she should have gone to the UK to me

If that's what she keeps insisting then her solicitor will have to go along with it even if it has little chance of holding up in court.

She's been refused bail anyway and remanded in custody, segregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There were some limited reports of it happening in Iraq, why do you ask?

I asked because another poster asked if TUSLA were aware if Lisa's daughter was at risk of FGM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Just catching up on this now.....was thinking;

1. Were her family or maybe a certain member of her family in on the plan. Get her home in the belief she would walk free, take the kid and then put her infront of the courts to face the music. Potential terrorist on trial, Irish child in safety...

2. You would have to say if they get her on trial it was a job done well by the government, Germans finding it very hard to get wives of fighters infront of the courts.

Have been told locally in Dundalk she insisted on certain promises before she agreed to return with the child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement