Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Black Friday - Chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Amazon Black Friday deals are really getting to me.

Seriously considering swapping all my google devices for amazon equivalent!
    2x mini's with echo dots (1 with clock)
    Home with Echo Show 8".

atm i have amazon prime (free delivery, kindle deals etc) and google music subscription to avoid ads with google homes.

before i spend my paycheck before i even have it can someone tell me im mad and that google is surperior to amazon?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I got an echo dot third gen from Amazon tried to return as I bought the echo.. contacted Amazon as usually I don't get charged when returning items especially unopened..

They told me keep the item and the refund is on the way.

Alexa constantly listening to you and getting all the glorious data is more valuable than your 22 pounds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

noodler wrote: »
    Any idea how these compare to the Sony CH700n? (Also on sale)

I bought the Sony's a few months ago for use in an office. The noise cancelling in that environment is pretty much nigh on useless. However the sound quality for what is essentially a budget pair of headphones from a major manufacturer is excellent. Battery life is also superb and they are a comfy set to use. I'm delighted with them as noise cancellation wasn't the reason for buying them, good sound quality and battery life was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Don't get it myself, seems like a load of reinventing the wheel. Mixed with laziness.

Hardly an issue of laziness. You might have no need for one but millions of others do. In my home our toddler loved hearing Google make animal noises when she was small. It was great to play a lullaby at night if it was hard to get her to sleep. Combined with a Spotify account they are a great way to get a music speaker into somewhere that's not the living room. Add in smart displays, light bulbs, a Chromecast etc and they are really brilliant little things..... if you have a use for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Hardly an issue of laziness. You might have no need for one but millions of others do. In my home our toddler loved hearing Google make animal noises when she was small. It was great to play a lullaby at night if it was hard to get her to sleep. Combined with a Spotify account they are a great way to get a music speaker into somewhere that's not the living room. Add in smart displays, light bulbs, a Chromecast etc and they are really brilliant little things..... if you have a use for them.

my little fella loves asking the smart speaker to answer hard maths questions for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Even asking Google a simple question is Dunnes, Tesco etc still open often comes in handy as you are heading out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I bought the Sony's a few months ago for use in an office. The noise cancelling in that environment is pretty much nigh on useless. However the sound quality for what is essentially a budget pair of headphones from a major manufacturer is excellent. Battery life is also superb and they are a comfy set to use. I'm delighted with them as noise cancellation wasn't the reason for buying them, good sound quality and battery life was.
    noodler wrote: »
    Any idea how these compare to the Sony CH700n? (Also on sale)

FYI these are in PC Currys for €99.99 - the amazon deal works out to be €90.86 (perhaps plus postage). I'm going to head up there as I want to try them out first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What do people use the Echo dot for ? Smart home stuff...

Is there any point in having an echo dot with a Google home (ordered and awaiting delivery of), so know next to nothing about either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is Prime Delivery not available this week? I'm only getting the option of Free Standard Delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Glenbhoy wrote: »
      Is there any point in having an echo dot with a Google home (ordered and awaiting delivery of), so know next to nothing about either!

You can just have them in different rooms and instead of saying Hey Google say Alexa when in that room. Need to set up the accessories in both apps too (Google and Alexa)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Glenbhoy wrote: »

If you're going to have multiple then it's best to stick with one type. For example, if you have several Google Homes, you can play music on all of them at once, or broadcast from one to the others. You can't do that between a Google Home and an Amazon Echo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is Prime Delivery not available this week? I'm only getting the option of Free Standard Delivery

I got prime delivery, arrived next working day

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oceanwave1

Any good TV deals? Not sure what to look for really.

I see one in Lidl have Samsung 50’ for 400 on Friday am thinking of getting it

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Caranica wrote: »
      I got prime delivery, arrived next working day

In UK or Ireland, prime in ROI is 2 day delivery, mind you, I have had instances where I ordered before lunch on a Saturday and had it delivered Monday morning, but never next day during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

everlast75 wrote: »
      FYI these are in PC Currys for €99.99 - the amazon deal works out to be €90.86 (perhaps plus postage). I'm going to head up there as I want to try them out first :)

€95 in Argos ATM!!!

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
      In UK or Ireland, prime in ROI is 2 day delivery, mind you, I have had instances where I ordered before lunch on a Saturday and had it delivered Monday morning, but never next day during the week.

I ordered Saturday night, had it Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

oceanwave1 wrote: »
      Any good TV deals? Not sure what to look for really.

I see one in Lidl have Samsung 50’ for 400 on Friday am thinking of getting it

Have they got Saorview the Lidl TV's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Pity this thread is about Amazon deals :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

All TV’s being sold nowadays has Saorview

Philips Hue White Smart Bulb 3 Pack LED Bundle £29.99

Philips Hue White Smart Bulb 3 Pack LED Bundle

Also options for GU10, E27, E14 (small screw) at £29.99 as well

Thinking abut this for gift for someone with **** internet

Just want to confirm that it works with alexa/google over bluetooth and no home hub or internet connection required to keep phone and bulbs taking if within bluetooth range?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Aquos76 wrote: »
      All TV’s being sold nowadays has Saorview

Thought I read it was against trading standards laws to sell a tv in Ireland that couldn't receive Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any good deals on PS4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭tusk

Any good deals on PS4?

Sony doing PS4 pro for 299

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I thought black friday was last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Any one know the reason a lot of products are unavailable to be delivered to Ireland or even Northern Ireland anymore. Items I have previously ordered to Parcel Wizard are all showing as not available to ship to Northern Ireland. I have tried countless different brands and all only deliver to mainland UK. Items such as Powerbanks and even Ear Phones wont deliver here any more. Its incredibly frustrating and making me reconsider even having Prime anymore, and that's coming from ordering from Amazon at least once a week via Parcel Wizard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Any one know the reason a lot of products are unavailable to be delivered to Ireland or even Northern Ireland anymore. Items I have previously ordered to Parcel Wizard are all showing as not available to ship to Northern Ireland. I have tried countless different brands and all only deliver to mainland UK. Items such as Powerbanks and even Ear Phones wont deliver here any more. Its incredibly frustrating and making me reconsider even having Prime anymore, and that's coming from ordering from Amazon at least once a week via Parcel Wizard

Battery shipping ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

sunny2004 wrote: »
      Battery shipping ?

Possibly, try address pal - good alternative and ships to UK address before an post take it to a post office near you for collection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

bfa1509 wrote: »

It's tomorrow, always the Friday after US Thanksgiving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

keane2097 wrote: »
      So far as I know this scope here is well regarded in the beginner bracket and is a comparable price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013Z42AK/?coliid=I215I9P48KYL11&colid=11T9S812IHA44&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've been close to pulling the trigger on it myself a few times over the years. I'm the farthest thing from an expert so definitely do some research.

Celestron are an excellent brand. Highly recommend this offer. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I bought the Asus Zenbook from Currys and it was delivered yesterday. I only had it on for a little while yesterday, but first impressions for anybody who is thinking of buying it:
      - Build quality is absolutely top drawer. I knew it would be good, but was surprised by how good it is
      - Lovely screen
      - Speakers are pretty decent for laptop speakers, but tinny when turned up load
      - Keyboard is lovely to type on
      - Being able to use the trackpad as a numeric pad is really handy. If you press the top right corner of the trackpad, it lights up a display to show the numeric pad
      - The backlight didn't work on the keyboard initially, but as Windows was cycling threw downloading and installing updates, one of them must have been the drivers for it, as it began working after a restart
      - I can't comment on performance yet as I only had it on for a short time and it was installing so many updates that it was running a bit slow. Once I have all updates installed over the next few days, I will get more of an idea of it
      - Overall, very happy so far

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I bought the Asus Zenbook from Currys and it was delivered yesterday. I only had it on for a little while yesterday, but first impressions for anybody who is thinking of buying it:
      - Build quality is absolutely top drawer. I knew it would be good, but was surprised by how good it is
      - Lovely screen
      - Being able to use the trackpad as a numeric pad is really handy. If you press the top right corner of the trackpad, it lights up a display to show the numeric pad
      - The backlight didn't work on the keyboard initially, but as Windows was cycling threw downloading and installing updates, one of them must have been the drivers for it, as it began working after a restart
      - I can't comment on performance yet as I only had it on for a short time and it was installing so many updates that it was running a bit slow. Once I have all updates installed over the next few days, I will get more of an idea of it

Mines being delivered today after lunch, so looking forward to getting my hands on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

bfa1509 wrote: »

Its gone Black week and a half now - the run up to Thanksgiving in the US, The Friday, the extended weekend "black" deals, and then the "cyber" Monday!

Bit like the Harvey Norman / DFS never ending sales! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bought some wifi plugs last night and they wouldnt ship to Ireland, very frustrating having to pay Parcel Wizard when you already have Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

- Lovely screen

what zenbook is this?

sorry, cant seem to find it in the thread?

Muahahaha wrote: »
      Bought some wifi plugs last night and they wouldnt ship to Ireland, very frustrating having to pay Parcel Wizard when you already have Prime

The teckin ones I bought Friday shipped to Ireland and arrived with other Amazon purchases on Monday (Prime). Saturday night purchases also arrived Monday

- Lovely screen

Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Are Amazon likely to do a Prime membership deal like they do around Prime Day? Also, anyone spotted any deals on the Nvidia Shield yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Any good deals on PS4?

Amazon has bundle deals with various games, FIFA, Death Stranding and a few others. If none of the games are interesting to you it might be better to go with the PS4 + DualShock bundle to save a few quid on the controller.

Games Bundles are £299 / approx €350

Smyths have a bundle marginally cheaper but seem to be sold out or low stock across all stores.

Sony Playstation 4 Pro 1TB White (PS4) + Death Stranding Standard Edition (Higgs Variant) (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk)

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 38 hudsonn

Not a bargain exactly but a bit of nostalgia for the old '80s kids!

Bigtrak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

hudsonn wrote: »

Bigtrak

God damn it. I always wanted one of those. Gonna have to get it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Bigtrak

I think it was the same price back in the day, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hudsonn

blastman wrote: »
      I think it was the same price back in the day, too!

I remember it being expensive, only the rich kids had them i.e. not us!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got the black Sony WF-1000XM3 earbuds on Amazon Italy. Amazon UK knocked their price down to £196 today which seems to be their lowest price according to camelcamelcamel. Still cheaper to get them in from Amazon Italy. A few Irish retailers had the silver ones for €200 but not the black ones I wanted (Amazon Italy had them). A lot of retailers kept the black ones at €250 from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I remember it being expensive, only the rich kids had them i.e. not us!

yeah, so wanted one of those and the trailer

I still remember the tv ad were Big Trak brings the dad his dinner in the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 47 morrough

Hi
      Does anyone have experience of buying an iPad through a US site using address pal? Is it worth it or would I get stung with other charges?
      Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

morrough wrote: »
      Hi
      Does anyone have experience of buying an iPad through a US site using address pal? Is it worth it or would I get stung with other charges?
      Thanks

It will cost you more once you get to import taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Skerries wrote: »
      yeah, so wanted one of those and the trailer

I still remember the tv ad were Big Trak brings the dad his dinner in the trailer

Me too , I smiled so much seeing this is back. Could only dream at the time but how I wanted it!

• Advertisement
    Advertisement