Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive recommendation Saorview/Freesat/Netflix/Rte Player box

• 21-11-2019 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Really sorry for this question which has likely been repeated many many times here, but my head is melted looking through the forum for a definitive answer.

Any recommendations for a box with Saorview, Freesat, but with smart features e.g. ability view netflix, prime video, rte player.

A combined EPG and live-TV pause are also important

Something which could be setup by someone with very little tv/networking knowledge is strongly preferred.

Price is secondary to function and ease of use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

A new Samsung or LG Smart TV will have all the above, except Saorview & Freesat won't be a combined EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Combined epg, get an enigma box. Apps, get a smart TV or fire stick or chromecast. You're better off with 2 devices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

onrail wrote: »
    Really sorry for this question which has likely been repeated many many times here, but my head is melted looking through the forum for a definitive answer.

Any recommendations for a box with Saorview, Freesat, but with smart features e.g. ability view netflix, prime video, rte player.

Something which could be setup by someone with very little tv/networking knowledge is strongly preferred.

I do not believe such a device exists that is plug & play and forgotten afterwards.

Some TVs go a long way, but in time, based on history, those TVs will not be updated and you will be left with a rather dumb smart TV.

Some STBs go a long way but you will find some apps have varying degrees of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

I have an LG 4K TV and it has DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 tuners with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, RTÉ Player, Virgin Media Player, YouTube, Sky/Now TV and YouTube apps plus many more. The only thing it won't give you is the combined EPG for terrestrial and satellite, but it's as close as you're gonna get with everything in one device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Octagon SF8008 Combo comes close

About 100 stg. Combined Saorview & Satellite. 7 day epg. Plays H265 codec films etc Enigma2. Does Netflix.

71%2BATRBsqjL._SX466_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Nice, thanks!

Any direct experience with setup etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Nice, thanks!

Any direct experience with setup etc?

Yes. I have one.

Just remember that recording a program whilst watching another is limited to record satellite and watch saorview and vice versa.

They come in various configs (ie 2 satellite tuners or combo which is 1 saorview (dvb-t) and 1 satellite (Dvb-s2). You want the combo version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pass&move

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Can you do series link from the EPG with an E2 box like the Octagon, or is it by repeated timers at the same time daily/weekly? Thinking about taking the plunge into Enigma and leaning towards the Octagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pass&move wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread. Can you do series link from the EPG with an E2 box like the Octagon, or is it by repeated timers at the same time daily/weekly? Thinking about taking the plunge into Enigma and leaning towards the Octagon.

You can set autotimers, which work by searching for title in a time range you set (e.g. 7pm - 9pm every Monday) which works most of the time. If a show is shifted way out of it's schedule or on a different day you might miss it, and I missed one because the episode of the Last Leg had a different name (it was an election special or something). It's not as good as Sky Plus I'm afraid, unless someone has a better solution I don't know about...

Thanks, I did wonder if it was possible to do true series link, but I suppose it's pretty close. Changing from Virgin Media, so the family will be expecting something similar.
    I don't suppose it's possible to set the timer any time from midnight on Sunday to 23:59 the following Saturday, or would it grind to a halt if you had several set up like that? Still wouldn't cover a slightly different title, does it have to be an exact match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Pass&move wrote: »
    Thanks, I did wonder if it was possible to do true series link, but I suppose it's pretty close. Changing from Virgin Media, so the family will be expecting something similar.
    I don't suppose it's possible to set the timer any time from midnight on Sunday to 23:59 the following Saturday, or would it grind to a halt if you had several set up like that? Still wouldn't cover a slightly different title, does it have to be an exact match?

You have total control on the search parameters. For normal use you can just quickly accept the defaults which suit most uses. However you can specify partial matches, day or days of week /weekend, channel(s), bouquets, time range, pretty much anything you need. For example I had it set for "bake off" partial match any day only on CH4HD. that would then get both the main "bake off" show and the "extra slice" show as well. That said I also nearly got caught out with the Last Leg when they changed the show title.

Thanks, that sounds very flexible. Might even be better than series link on Virgin which was caught out a few times where the EPG wasn't updated and the program started late or early.

Advertisement