Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone switch to formula at 4 months and regret it?

• 21-11-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I am breastfeeding my 3 month old baby at the minute and really like it. I know I really don’t want to be breastfeeding by the time I go back to work which will be at probably the 8 month mark. I know the recommendation is that it is best to give Breastmilk for the first 6 months. I was just thinking the longer I leave it the harder it will be to transition my baby off my breast as she definitely uses it for comfort as well as feeding. I think I would be happy to get to the 4/4.5 month mark and then move to formula. It would allow me more freedom myself and would allow my baby get used to being minded by other people (members of my family). Currently I am expressing and people can mind her but even for my husband she can get quite cranky when I am not there. I was just wondering if there is anyone else who breastfed up to 4/5 months and regretted switching to formula? I would like to hear the reasons why you regretted it if so. Any experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sarah, I have BF for the first few weeks and then run into trouble.I am not sure why it happens but it seems my let down comes very very fast and my babies have started to pull off the breast a lot around the 4 week mark, resulting in a lot of wind for them, and my supply not being built.up, particularly around the 6 week mark.So I have exclusively fed/combi fed from birth, then had to transition to pumping and formula, then fully to formula on all three of mine within the first few months.

You regret it in the sense that the guilt is bad the first while.I don't know if it is hormones or what it is, but it I felt terrible for the first few weeks.Even when I had tried to solve it with lactation consultants and everything, I just felt oh god I am giving them formula after working so hard on BF for the first few weeks and all the rest.I still believe breast feeding is best and I have nothing but respect for women who manage it longer term, especially with other kids in the house.

But three babies later I have reached a place where I feel...it's your choice.100% your choice.Do what works for you but take it slowly because there is a hormonal aspect to it.I see nothing wrong with continuing to feed...I know plenty of people who continue to feed once back at work, or feed up to 6 months then transition just fine after that.And I know some who transitioned to formula at 12 week, and that worked fine for them.If you wanted to give your husband a chance to do a feed you could always try one formula or pumped feed a day at the same time like 7 pm or whatever, to give you that breathing space.But it is entirely your choice and while it does feel like a huge thing now (and I do remember how that feels) In a few months time, it will be fairly minor.But it's your baby, you are mum, so do what works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Sarah, the most important thing is that baby's fed, the second is that mammy is happy and healthy.

Yes scientifically breastfeeding is probably a bit better but it's not the whole picture. You have given your baby such an amazing start in life already. So you do you and don't worry about anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

There will always be a guilt thing when you finish up breastfeeding but you have given your baby a great start. You powered on through the most difficult parts but if you feel like it is time to move baby onto formula, then do. I had to finish breastfeeding earlier than I would have liked on both my kids (one at 4 months and one at 5 weeks) due to medication/ health but the freedom it gave me was incredible. Even just being able to sit down without a baby attached to me or shower without baby crying for me was so beneficial to my mental health. It is way more draining than people think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You don't need to give up breastfeeding going back to work. I fed all mine on return to work. They adjusted quickly. We combination fed our first due to ****ty advice from nurses and bottle feeding is such a faff. I wish I had weaned her off the bottle of formula and just breastfed. If you like breastfeeding why stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I breastfed my eldest up until six months and then switched to formula. I think at the time I thought that’s what you were meant to do.
    I do now somewhat regret weaning before 12 mths. Bottles were a bit of a faff, and formula didn’t really agree with him, he was very constipated for ages.
    That said, once we got used to the bottles, and the constipation settled, he was grand, and I wouldn’t say he was any different to my other babies who never had formula. Do whatever suits you best, that’s the best for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I breastfed my first until around 7 months then fully weaned before I went back to work at 8 months. She adjusted fine and is a totally happy baby, but somehow I still feel bad about it! At the time I didn't think breastfeeding and going back to work was really an option for me and it probably realistically wasn't given the location of my work etc. It would have been a real logistical challenge. I'm now pregnant with my second and hoping to breastfeed again but this time I'm also hoping to be in a position where I can take a bit more time off work and then hopefully be able to breastfeed for longer, but I'm going to see how it goes.

Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up over it. We are riddled with guilt as mums, it seems we can never do enough! Just do what feels right for you and try and remember why you made whatever decision you make.

Edit: I did find the move to formula a pain though. Bottles are annoying and all the sterilizing etc. I'm not sure I would have been able to cope with it any earlier i.e when baby was drinking more.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭suilegorma

Bf actually gets easier with time! At the start there's getting established, cluster feeds etc. Then comes the easy part, feeds space out more, it's easier to feed out and about. And you don't have to do a thing at night except latch baby on. I could not have been dealing with bottles, temps, mixing, sterilising etc. Plus always having to be organised out and about or on hols. My take is if you've done the bit at the start, you deserve the nice bit when they are older. You definitely won't have to wean before going back to work, and bf is a lovely way to reconnect in the morning & evening. I get that you'd like some time alone, but even feeding before you go, on your return you'd easily get a couple of hours away without needing to pump. Babies can be cranky for people other than their mothers regardless of feeding method !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

suilegorma wrote: »
    Bf actually gets easier with time! At the start there's getting established, cluster feeds etc. Then comes the easy part, feeds space out more, it's easier to feed out and about. And you don't have to do a thing at night except latch baby on. I could not have been dealing with bottles, temps, mixing, sterilising etc. Plus always having to be organised out and about or on hols. My take is if you've done the bit at the start, you deserve the nice bit when they are older. You definitely won't have to wean before going back to work, and bf is a lovely way to reconnect in the morning & evening. I get that you'd like some time alone, but even feeding before you go, on your return you'd easily get a couple of hours away without needing to pump. Babies can be cranky for people other than their mothers regardless of feeding method !

I would second all of this, I found breastfeeding to only really become enjoyable after three months. Now, at 13 months, it’s easy, convenient, and just a lovely bonding experience everyday. I went back to work after 5 months so that isn’t necessarily an obstacle. Good luck with it, whatever your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I think you are only getting to the lovely easy part now and it would be a shame to stop so soon until you have experienced the real benefit. If you have holidays or breaks away coming up or even Christmas, breastfeeding is so convenient. I formula fed the first due to lack of bf support and breastfed the next two. Breastfeeding is so much easier as you always have your boobs with you and you aren’t on a schedule. However I never felt trapped by breastfeeding as I am quite happy staying close to my babies for the first year. I obviously would leave for a few hours here and there and had a couple of nights out but always preferred to have them with me to be honest. I had to go away for a night on my own when baby #2 was 8 months old. She didn’t take a bottle but was eating ok so daddy made it work. That was the only slightly stressful thing and I didn’t even want to go away but had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Breastfeeding didn't work out for me, but I've a few close family members who breastfed (or combination fed) successfully for a year or more even after returning to work. Generally by the year mark the babies were feeding first thing in the morning and again at bedtime, and happy enough to take beakers of water or cows milk or expressed breast milk at creche. With the mums I'm thinking of, they just breastfed on demand until the child naturally grew out of looking for it. My advice would be, if you enjoy breastfeeding, keep it up as long as you can and just do what feels right for you. Breastfeeding is actually so much more convenient in terms of not worrying about constantly sterilising and preparing bottles - so if you can get away with avoiding all that, I definitely would if I were you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement