Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 standalone build question

Options
  • 22-11-2019 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have a spare desktop that I don't need anymore. I was thinking of wiping it and doing a fresh install of Windows 10, as I have a neighbour who needs a new computer. He's in his 70's, doesn't have internet & doesn't want it. He writes a lot in his spare time & uses spreadsheets for managing his finances, so MS Office is a must-have, which I can install for him. He also likes playing old games (mainly MS-DOS ones). That's all he uses his computer for, so there's no need for it to be on the internet in the first place.

The question I'm asking how do you install Windows 10 as a purely offline system?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm pretty sure you don't. Both Windows and Office 365 are completely internet dependent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FSO_Polonez

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you don't. Both Windows and Office 365 are completely internet dependent.

Thanks for clarifying, I though so but wasn't 100 percent sure. Would Win 7 be preferable then? I know that it's end of life in a matter of days, but if it's not on the internet then surely lack of support is irrelevant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Thanks for clarifying, I though so but wasn't 100 percent sure.

Download windows from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

It will allow you to create a bootable USB.

Plug into your PC and away you go, just follow instructions. If it asks you to format hard drive, do it.

Have the usb stick in the PC when you power it on, you might have to select bootable USB from bios.

For office just download open office . It's basically identical Microsoft office and it's free.

You can use windows 10 fine without internet

2pacshakur wrote: »

It will allow you to create a bootable USB

Thanks for providing the link. Can you activate it without internet connectivity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Thanks for providing the link. Can you activate it without internet connectivity?

What happens with windows 10 is a watermark appears at the bottom right of screen which is barely noticeable and will prompt you every so often to activate it.

But if you have internet connectivity yourself you can get a key off eBay and use that to activate. This does require an internet connection

Once it's activated it's always activated. Do you internet connection yourself? Could just activate it before handing over

• Advertisement

2pacshakur wrote: »

It will allow you to create a bootable USB.

Plug into your PC and away you go, just follow instructions. If it asks you to format hard drive, do it.

Have the usb stick in the PC when you power it on, you might have to select bootable USB from bios.

For office just download open office . It's basically identical Microsoft office and it's free.

You can use windows 10 fine without internet

Thanks, I'll give this a go over the weekend...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You might be better with Libre Office or some other Open Office variant than MS Office here. Works very much like older versions of MS Office, is not cloud based, and is free.

All sorted now. Activated Win10 on my wifi at home & installed LibreOffice along with the DOS-emulator & some games which my neighbour is more than happy with. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Advertisement