Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

un-extending: any demolition cost estimates?

Options
  • 22-11-2019 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi, considering buying the dreaded fixer-upper. Just wondering has anyone any idea re. ball park demolition costs when not part of an overall build job?

It's a tiny extension about 4x4m, slanty and badly built. No plans to rebuild, just seal up ope with external door. Any input gratefully received :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Get an electrician in to disconnect the electrics and make good say - €100
    Plumber as above - €100
    Buy yourself a sledge hammer - €50
    Skip hire - €200

Asisde from the above getting someone in, they'd have it down in a day, maybe another day to close up and install external door/ window, ball park I would be expect to be in less than 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fluffingtons

Doop wrote: »
    Plumber as above - €100
    Skip hire - €200

Asisde from the above getting someone in, they'd have it down in a day, maybe another day to close up and install external door/ window, ball park I would be expect to be in less than 5k

Thanks very much, that’s good informatioN. I was hoping it would be somewhere around the 5k mark.

Thanks very much, that’s good informatioN. I was hoping it would be somewhere around the 5k mark.

Also- never thought of the option of smashing it up myself... 🀔 could be an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi, considering buying the dreaded fixer-upper. Just wondering has anyone any idea re. ball park demolition costs when not part of an overall build job?

It's a tiny extension about 4x4m, slanty and badly built. No plans to rebuild, just seal up ope with external door. Any input gratefully received :)

If it's badly built are you confident in the lintel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Doop wrote: »
    Plumber as above - €100
    Skip hire - €200

The DIY approach leaves out some fairly vital calculations, unless you just want to leave a gaping hole in the side of your house

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it's badly built are you confident in the lintel?

Not sure, can’t picture the lintels off hand... would prob err on the side of no confidence in any of it... might be best to leave it to a pro

The DIY approach leaves out some fairly vital calculations, unless you just want to leave a gaping hole in the side of your house

Lol yes true. The extension is built around the original door opening onto the garden, they didn’t knock out any extra wall, left the ope fairly neat, so I’m hoping it will be just a case of fitting and sealing a new external door/making good.

We would def be getting a professional for that stage so prob makes sense to get them to do the demolition part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol yes true. The extension is built around the original door opening onto the garden, they didn’t knock out any extra wall, left the ope fairly neat, so I’m hoping it will be just a case of fitting and sealing a new external door/making good.

We would def be getting a professional for that stage so prob makes sense to get them to do the demolition part too.

Ripping down stuff is the easiest part of construction.

If you're going to have to get someone in to finish it off, then you may aswell get them to start it too.

For a job like that, I reckon most pros would have the extension dismantled and in a skip before the 11 o'clock break.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never enjoyed wall breaking. Especially well built ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement