Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This lad missing. Why such a weird article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

emo72 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/aman-brid-singh-chopra-missing-clare-4901473-Nov2019/

Why are comments barred or deleted.
    He's an Afghan lad. And it just seems weird to me. He doesn't look like a teen-ager in the photo, but granted, he may look older than he actually is.

What's going on here?

Why such a bad photo? Looks like a scan of a printed photograph or a passport.

Even the most recluse person must have better photos saved on someone's phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

What's the problem? He's an Afghan teenager with two Indian surnames and prenaturally lush facial hair who fled the war and made it all the way here unaccompanied. Perfectly believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Sorry could not comment after posting the link.

In UK, Sweeden etc when "child" migrants have undergone medical testing, they are no longer children.

Naturally this will cause issues. Child migrants do not go through the same security as adults, are also often placed in Foster care etc. Are also less likely to face deportation.

Being female and not having any brothers I'm not to familiar with male puberty. What's the odds on an irish teen having a full beard by 15/16

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I actually have the number of Ennis Garda station written down in front of me, going to ring them when I go outside and have reception as I saw a fella very similar looking to him yesterday in Cork city.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Odd article alright.

dunno why but I don’t think we are getting the full story here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Kilkishen is the last bastion of earth, lonely,wet and full of pot kettle lake's, old castle's fort's and ruins.

Us northern Clare people don't dare cross the frontier and dare to climb that wall of division, although my dad once went there for the golden Owl...

There be local natives roaming those wetlands, he who dares get off his steed in kilkishen is indeed a brave man.

Hopefully he's ok and as far away as possible from that dreadful place.
    I'd run from it too, gets tricky around the Sixmilebridge border as they're a rival tribe,but they welcome visitors in a more civilized way.

It took a man from India to put it on the map,and hopefully he'll be found safe and sound.

Maybe just maybe Kilkishen will gain from this, whether it be possible I don't know...

If he's in Cork maybe he's in the right place, its diverse and inclusive, the real Capital

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

:D:D:D!!
    TEENAGER!!!

F*ck off media, no one believes your lies and bullsh1t anymore... no one.

:D:D:D!!
    TEENAGER!!!

F*ck off media, no one believes your lies and bullsh1t anymore... no one.

Imho juvenile means age 11-14. Definitely would not be compatible with a picture of a man with a beard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Anyway, we shouldn't be all so bigoted, Sean O Rourke told me he is a Clare man as much as any Clare native is .... so there!!

Checkmate racists!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Anyway, we shouldn't be all so bigoted, Sean O Rourke told me he is a Clare man as much as any Clare native is .... so there!!

Checkmate racists!

Let him suggest that to the Kilkishen tribesmen, they're very staunch and territorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They didn't mention his age anywhere in the article. They just describe him as a "juvenile" and a "teenager". Usually when a teenager is missing they say something like "16 year old missing".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Imho juvenile means age 11-14.

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Boggles wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

It is odd they don't give an age.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Cause they know something about it is dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Are you all just assuming the missing persons gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Odd article alright.

dunno why but I don’t think we are getting the full story here

Am i missing something - what's so odd about the article?

Apart from the obvious big hairy man is clearly not a child thing that is!:D:D

I'm a bit conflicted on the whole refugee issue. I mean sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do to get on. If i was from some god forsaken shít hole like Afghanastan, i'd do anything required to get out of it. I've told plenty of porkies to suit my needs over the years as it is.....but come on now - if you're trying to pass yourself off as a child, at least have a god damn shave.

He should be deported for stupidity alone, there are enough home grown idiots in this country, we don't need to be importing any more of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The same thing happened in Roundwood in Wicklow.
    Discrete short stories appearing in a couple of publications about some lads missing from Roundwood.
    Names given and pictures of supposed minors.

Then nothing.

https://www.thejournal.ie/adem-shehu-wicklow-roundwood-4401219-Dec2018/

https://www.thejournal.ie/wicklow-teen-missing-3274093-Mar2017/

They sure as hell weren't locals, but that was not mentioned.
    It was Wicklow teens missing.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The comments are closed because the commentariat on the Journal are even worse than some of the nobbers here. I'd imagine the whole comment section was 'He joyned (sic) Isis the dirty rat' and all that kind of crap.

Illiterate dregs of society.

Boggles wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

What would you class as a juvenile.

The definition of a juvenile is very young/ childish. In my opinion a juvenile teenager would indicate pre teen / younger teenage years

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    The same thing happened in Roundwood in Wicklow.
    Discrete short stories appearing in a couple of publications about some lads missing from Roundwood.
    Names given and pictures of supposed minors.

Then nothing.

https://www.thejournal.ie/adem-shehu-wicklow-roundwood-4401219-Dec2018/

https://www.thejournal.ie/wicklow-teen-missing-3274093-Mar2017/

They sure as hell weren't locals, but that was not mentioned.
    It was Wicklow teens missing.

Now those lads in those pics appear to be quite young

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What would you class as a juvenile.

It's not in my remit to class it.

The definition of a juvenile is very young/ childish. In my opinion a juvenile teenager would indicate pre teen / younger teenage years

The literal definition.
    relating to a young person who is not yet old enough to be considered an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

From my time in GAA, a juvenile player was Under-16. After that they are considered minors. Actually if i ever referred to one of them as a juvenile they would take issue with it, as they consider themselves young men.

From this picture, if this guy ran on a GAA pitch as an U-16 both he and the club would be laughed out the gate.
    Add in the fact that this picture was possibly taken a year or maybe more ago.
    What's all this pussy-footing about with these folks in modern day Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If someone handed me that snap and asked me to estimate his age I’d say rough guess 23/24 bracket. Def not any younger to my eyes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afghans systematically report as underage for preferential treatment and sped-up process. They can easily be as old as 30 but report as 15

Often they are used by older women working in the asylum system and cannot refuse as they think they'll get deported then.

DL2jEUyWkAAmJHm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

He's an Afghan lad. And it just seems weird to me. He doesn't look like a teen-ager in the photo, but granted, he may look older than he actually is.

What's going on here?
    I suspect that because, as least formally, he's deemed to be a child that the Gardaí have to, at least formally, treat the case as if it actually involved a missing child.

And I suspect you'll find their own procedures for dealing with missing children include issuing a media release at some point.

Hence the slightly disconnected story.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What's going on here?

Thejournal just look at every story before hitting post, and if they know the public are going to rightfully call it out or say things against their bias then its easier to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend everythings allright.

Ive basically used it as a barometer right now, if the comments are closed then the subject of the story is either involved in an ongoing courtcase or would be quite rightly exposed as a criminal or scammer in the comments section.

That theyve closed the comments section on this means even the bleeding heart behind thejournal keyboard knows he’s pulling a trick and just dont want that pointed out to those who cant see it

biko wrote: »
    Afghans systematically report as underage for preferential treatment and sped-up process. They can easily be as old as 30 but report as 15

Often they are used by older women working in the asylum system and cannot refuse as they think they'll get deported then.

DL2jEUyWkAAmJHm.jpg
    Guy in the top right is considering going back to the warzone

Guy in the top right is considering going back to the warzone

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

With his surname and the headwear in the photo, one would suspect he's an Indian Sikh. There are Sikhs in Afghanistan as far as I know, but they're few and far between. We probably have more Sikhs in Dublin than Kabul.

Advertisement