Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for older person w exceptional reception

Options
  • 22-11-2019 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Need some advice for an elderly relative.

They live in the middle of nowhere with shocking reception, even our 4G phones struggle sometimes.
    No network seems great, Eir or Three.

What they need:
    1. Phone with really good reception
    2. Older style phone - buttons no touchscreen.

They’re in their 80s and trying to get them to use an android or apple or clone just won’t cut it so any of the really powerful GSM phones just wont do. D’internet has no interest, and once in the house the 4 to 6 foot wall will make reception even more sluggish.

I’d had a look last night at 3
    Nokia 800 Tough - but not seeing anything on signal strength
    Nokia 2720 Flip - again nothing on the signal
    Dora phone - but have read some really bad reviews there.

Any suggestions that might help out here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The reception problem is going to keep defeating you, even if you find a phone with a keypad and display you are happy with.

Here is an option.

Install an old style fixed line phone. (You could also install a cordless phone alongside.)

Connect it to the mobile network using a gateway box like this.

https://www.dobrytech.com/products/3g-gsm-to-landline-pstn-converter-fwt/

The gateway box can be installed in a window or somewhere in the house with good reception. If really needed, you could probably fit an external antenna.

I have not set this up myself but it should work.

The link is just the first example of a gateway box I found that might be suitable. I am sure there are others.

It is worth investing a bit of time and money in this because it can obviously make a massive difference to this older person’s mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Need some advice for an elderly relative.

They live in the middle of nowhere with shocking reception, even our 4G phones struggle sometimes.
    No network seems great, Eir or Three.

What they need:
    1. Phone with really good reception
    2. Older style phone - buttons no touchscreen.

They’re in their 80s and trying to get them to use an android or apple or clone just won’t cut it so any of the really powerful GSM phones just wont do. D’internet has no interest, and once in the house the 4 to 6 foot wall will make reception even more sluggish.

I’d had a look last night at 3
    Nokia 800 Tough - but not seeing anything on signal strength
    Nokia 2720 Flip - again nothing on the signal
    Dora phone - but have read some really bad reviews there.

Any suggestions that might help out here?

I don't know your relative, so I probably shouldn't make assumptions. However, I think that the notion that elderly people are better served by non-Smart phones is worth challenging. Dumb feature phones are extremely fiddly for elderly people to use - the displays and buttons are too small, and the menus are difficult to navigate. Trying to edit a phone-book entry or send a text message is far more difficult than on a Smart phone. Doro have made an effort to improve the ergonomics, but I would argue that the advantages of Smart phones outweigh the disadvantages, particularly for the elderly. There is also a selection of apps and launchers that allow you "dumb down" a Smart phone to make it easier to use. These are specifically tailored for the elderly and visually impaired. I haven't used one of these apps recently, but you might try ("Simple Launcher" or "Big Launcher").

With a Smart phone, you could assist your relative by helping to manage their phonebook remotely through Google contacts, and if they lose the phone, they won't lose their phone book. If they don't mind being tracked, you could also use GPS tracking to allow family to locate the relative in an emergency, or their phone, if they lose it.

Make sure that your phone and operator support HD Voice, as the sound quality is much clearer, for the hard-of-hearing. Even some non Smart-phones support this. Eir & Vodafone support HD Voice.

Finally, with a Smart phone you can solve the coverage problem. You need to pick a model that supports WiFi Calling (assuming your relative has Broadband/WiFi). The Smart phone switches over to WiFi when in the home, so you are not at the mercy of the local mobile coverage. AFAIK Eir is still the only operator to fully support WiFi calling, and it is only on their normal bill-pay plans (not pre-pay or GoMo). Vodafone have a limited version, but it doesn't support texting, or use abroad).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers both

No landline, so no home WiFi etc.
    Even their TV is from a local provided with a mast on a hill. Where they are is very isolated.

I had suggested a smart phone before - with the data deals it would be ideal but they’re not having any of it. Saying that I don’t recall even getting a 3G signal down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Invest in a certified (thus legal) repeater. Itll cost you a few hundred but will assuming there is reception on the chimney give rock solid reception as will any visitors. Thick walls dont matter as it retransmits inside the dwelling.

https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/mobile-phone-signal-booster-kits-for-homes

For safety reasons alone IMO its vital. Rural telephone lines are taken out on the regular in the Jan/Feb storms and cannot be relied on, the high site is far less likely to go down. If you need an ambulance you can't wait 3-5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Perfect - thanks all
    Huge help as always:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just survey the site for reception first.

Advertisement