Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick kitten

• 22-11-2019 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about kittens or cats and it would appear neither does the vet.
    My mother in law got a kitten two weeks ago for her granddaughter. Kitten was in great form for the first few days but she stopped eating and drinking. She was brought to the vet last week and was given injections and sent home and was hopefully going to improve. We are on day 6 today and the kitten is not eating and hasn’t done at all in 6 days, she is walking outside and taking a little sip of water but nothing really of note. She is very poorly. MIL rang the vet and he said he doesn’t know and if there is no improvement by Saturday, to bring kitten back to be put down.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I know nothing about kittens or cats and it would appear neither does the vet.
    My mother in law got a kitten two weeks ago for her granddaughter. Kitten was in great form for the first few days but she stopped eating and drinking. She was brought to the vet last week and was given injections and sent home and was hopefully going to improve. We are on day 6 today and the kitten is not eating and hasn’t done at all in 6 days, she is walking outside and taking a little sip of water but nothing really of note. She is very poorly. MIL rang the vet and he said he doesn’t know and if there is no improvement by Saturday, to bring kitten back to be put down.

Any ideas?

Vet shouldn’t have given vaccinations if the kitten was unwell.

Move to another vet and request proper tests to see what’s wrong?

Where did your mother in law get the kitten OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Not vaccinations, she brought him to the vet because he was sick. Injections were because it wasn’t eating or drinking. I think she got it from a woman she knew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Not vaccinations, she brought him to the vet because he was sick. Injections were because it wasn’t eating or drinking. I think she got it from a woman she knew

ahh ok my mistake... apologies what about trying another Vet? the current vet doesn't sound very good.. if he has no idea what's wrong and the fact that he is suggesting euthanasia without knowing what's wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Definitely try another vet ASAP and try keep the poor thing hydrated too. When my baby rabbit was ill, I had to make her drink water every half an hour throughout the night. The longer the kitten goes without eating or drinking regularly, the quicker her organs will shut down.

The emergency vet told us to keep getting the water into her until we got her to our normal vet the next morning because her kidneys would be shutting down otherwise. I’d ring a vet ASAP and see if they can see her today. Most do walk-in appointments anyway.

Are you based in Dublin, OP? Bull Wall Veterinary Clinic is fantastic. UCD have a good vet hospital too but you can be faced with a long waiting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Definitely try another vet ASAP and try keep the poor thing hydrated too. When my baby rabbit was ill, I had to make her drink water every half an hour throughout the night. The longer the kitten goes without eating or drinking regularly, the quicker her organs will shut down.

The emergency vet told us to keep getting the water into her until we got her to our normal vet the next morning because her kidneys would be shutting down otherwise. I’d ring a vet ASAP and see if they can see her today. Most do walk-in appointments anyway.

Are you based in Dublin, OP? Bull Wall Veterinary Clinic is fantastic. UCD have a good vet hospital too but you can be faced with a long waiting times.

How old is the kitten? And yes re fluids; I have kept kittens alive with syringing water gently into them .

• Advertisement

OP what news please? Thank you.
    You can make a simple rehydration fluid; a tbs sugar and a tsp salt in a pint of water.

Kitten is approx 8 weeks old. It passed a little bit of blood last night. Kitten is being brought to different vet today. Hopefully it will be good news. Still refusing all food

Kitten is approx 8 weeks old. It passed a little bit of blood last night. Kitten is being brought to different vet today. Hopefully it will be good news. Still refusing all food

So it left its mother around 6 weeks? imo too early. Let us hope the vet can help

Kitten brought back to another vet. Vet completely stumped but said little kitten was fighting hard to stay with us. Kitten is being kept over the weekend and decision on Monday if she’s improving or if she’s got to go to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

has any of the vets commented on the kittens overall condition as in very obvious distended stomach

as young kittens can have a very heavy worm burden which can play havoc with their general health

• Advertisement

Shoesday is away on holiday …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

It's definitely a fighter, most little kittens wouldn't have lasted so long. I hope it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Its doing very well and best of luck, fingers crossed for you.

I got a kitten couple of weeks back and it was sick within the week (only 6 weeks old when I got it according to vet assessment - was told it was 8 weeks) - was in vets for a week on IVs etc but couldn't make it.

Very hard lesson learned, kittens are being taken from their litters just too early - go to a cat rehoming charity - it'll be a better outcome for the animal and less heartache.

Little kitten passed away Sunday evening, have no idea what happened to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Little kitten passed away Sunday evening, have no idea what happened to her

I'm not surprised to hear this. I hope at least it wasn't in pain.

Left its mother far too early. People think that as soon as a kitten can /will eat cat food it is ready to go.

It is not.

The best outlook is for them to stay with their mother until 12 weeks . That is what we always did. Fully weaned and emotionally independent.

They get far more than nourishment from mother's milk.

But most here know that!

Poor kittens pay the price.

rest in peace, little one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Thats awful. Feline anorexia can set in very quickly if a cat is unable to eat for any reason, and I would agree it sounds like the poor kitten was taken form its mother too soon.

Irrespective of this the 'care' from the vet is appalling and cruel, and I would be making complaints to the practice manager and likely taking this further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Thats awful. Feline anorexia can set in very quickly if a cat is unable to eat for any reason, and I would agree it sounds like the poor kitten was taken form its mother too soon.

Irrespective of this the 'care' from the vet is appalling and cruel, and I would be making complaints to the practice manager and likely taking this further.

Very sweeping statement about the vets care without knowing all the facts. The OP has said very little about the vet other than the fact they couldnt pinpoint what was wrong with the kitten. Sometimes thats just the way it goes....tiny animals get very sick very quickly and it may take a range of extensive tests or even a post mortem to find out the exact cause.
    I dont know where in the OPs statements that you can say the vets care was ‘cruel’???

Shoesday, so sorry about your little kitten. Sounds like it may have already been sick before you got it.

Advertisement