Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to have in mind to sell

Options
  • 22-11-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am planning to sell my house briefly, and I would like to know things that I should have in mind - it is my first time.

The house is in pretty good shape, I spent some quite bit of money improving it, but we had some issues with the pipes, and I have one bathroom and a little bit of the living room ceiling with marks of water. I am planning to paint those. Or do the retail sellers offer someone to fix some small issues like these before starting the sell?

Regarding retail sellers. I see around that most of people choose Flynn, Sherry Fitzgerald, DNG... is there a reason behind? Are they more competitive?

Also, I won't use that furniture anymore - is it worth to offer the furniture included in the price?

Any advice that you can give me? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

akesha wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am planning to sell my house briefly, and I would like to know things that I should have in mind - it is my first time.

The house is in pretty good shape, I spent some quite bit of money improving it, but we had some issues with the pipes, and I have one bathroom and a little bit of the living room ceiling with marks of water. I am planning to paint those. Or do the retail sellers offer someone to fix some small issues like these before starting the sell?

Regarding retail sellers. I see around that most of people choose Flynn, Sherry Fitzgerald, DNG... is there a reason behind? Are they more competitive?

Also, I won't use that furniture anymore - is it worth to offer the furniture included in the price?

Any advice that you can give me? Thanks!

A sale normally includes the white goods (fridge, dishwasher, washing machine etc.) Sofa, chairs and dining set aren't usually included. Most people wont want your old sofa. I doubt you will get anymore money based on the fact you are including it, it actually may be a hassle for your new buyers to dispose of it.

Estate agents do not paint, they may reccomend you do certain work. Best advice is go with an established estate agent and bring them into the house and they will tell you what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭akesha

I asked the local retailer to come and see the place a couple of months ago, but they didn't tell me to do anything in the house. Actually they told me it was quite better than the other houses in the market (I upgraded floors, doors, light switches, most of the sockets, new staircase, it is pretty new painted, upgraded boiler, thermostats, buzz and cameras with nest, it has a projector with a huge screen...). It was basically modernised a lot.

So my plan is to paint those little parts with marks, hire a general cleaning, and we are good to go. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get rid of as much as can.Give old book,s ,cd,s , clothe,s to charity shops.
    Put ornaments and photo,s away .
    You need to make the house look uncluttered .
    furniture makes very little difference either way,
    people buy a house based on location, size, no of bedrooms, size ,
    does it have a nice garden, new kitchen .
    A old 1bed house in rathmines is worth more than a new 3bed house in coolock.
    people have different taste,
    the buyer may not like your furniture .
    I gave away most of my old furniture when i was moving.
    http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

rather than take it with me .

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Brief your solicitor before putting it on the market so they can prep Title* and be in a position to issue a contract asap after going sale agreed.

*E.g. if Title is not registered, get a land registry map done now; checking all planning and building reg documents; LPT compliance, etc.

Advertisement