Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG councillors react with anger and distress at plans for social housing in Cork.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Residents-caught-in-the-firing-line-as-FF-and-FG-clash-on-social-housing-plans-in-Montenotte--6fcbe6ab-7e8e-4dd8-8e3d-d19dc94f498f-ds

Martin cleverly seeks to open up policy divide with FG over social housing. Ignoring fact that his party supported the policy for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I hope there’s room for horses as well for residents of these 54 social houses in montenotte.
    About time montenotte got some culture !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I hope there’s room for horses as well for residents of these 54 social houses in montenotte.
    About time montenotte got some culture !

Don't be silly, the horses live in the house not the residents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

He'd have my vote if I was local.

I wouldn't want to live near some social housing sink estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Where does it mention anything about horses? A government party in the midst of a housing crisis objecting to housing on ideological grounds says much about their ideology.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Where does it mention anything about horses? A government party in the midst of a housing crisis objecting to housing on ideological grounds says much about their ideology.

There is a rank stench of hypocrisy, considering Noonan cosied up to vulture fund managers not long ago...effectively presiding over eviction of families from their homes.

"Vultures, you know, carry out a very good service in the ecology."

Ironic thing is there are already lots of people with a social housing need living in Montenotte. But they are living in private rental accomadation and their landlords are getting large financial transfers.
    It says everything about FGs ideology and why their is a housing crisis.
    They are fundamentaly opposed to social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Ironic thing is there are already lots of people with a social housing need living in Montenotte. But they are living in private rental accomadation and their landlords are getting large financial transfers.
    Montenotte!!

Monocles being dropped all over the place at the prospect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The landlords of Ireland are gouging everyone these days, including the taxpayer.
    Demand and supply I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,468 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The landlords of Ireland are gouging everyone these days, including the taxpayer.
    Demand and supply I guess.

Lovely sound bite but are landlords not also taxpayers?

• Advertisement

It is hardly surprising when one thinks of the attitude to ordinary Irish people by Fine Gaels founding fathers.

“People reared in workhouses, as you are aware, are no great acquisition to the community and they have no ideas whatsoever of civic responsibilities. As a rule their highest aim is to live at the expense of the ratepayers. Consequently, it would be a decided gain if they all took it into their heads to emigrate. “

WT Cosgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

423 million in hap payments. a year?
    how high can that go? I'd rather build public houses with that money instead. maybe im old fashioned.

emo72 wrote: »
    423 million in hap payments. a year?
    how high can that go? I'd rather build public houses with that money instead. maybe im old fashioned.

If you count all the financial transfers to landlords from that and other schemes it is now closer to €900 million a year. That would build an awful lot of social housing.
    And it would still be there next year.
    The €900 million to landlords is "dead money"

john4321 wrote: »
    Lovely sound bite but are landlords not also taxpayers?

Not when they have been allowed to avoid paying tax through the use of Fine Gael introduced 110 special purpose vehicles.

Not when they have been allowed to avoid paying tax through the use of Fine Gael introduced 110 special purpose vehicles.

Good job we are not in the Accommodation forum. We would all be banned by the landlord mods.

Not a landlord myself so can you explain how a landlord renting out a single property can avoid paying tax on the income?

Not a landlord myself so can you explain how a landlord renting out a single property can avoid paying tax on the income?

These mechanisms are available to the large institutional investors known as vulture funds. Not to mere individual plebs.

These mechanisms are available to the large institutional investors known as vulture funds. Not to mere individual plebs.

The original poster said

"The landlords of Ireland are gouging everyone these days"

That's why I asked the original question. Not sure why you chose to call private landlords plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If you count all the financial transfers to landlords from that and other schemes it is now closer to €900 million a year. That would build an awful lot of social housing.
    And it would still be there next year.
    The €900 million to landlords is "dead money"

How much of that €900m is taken back in tax?

What would it cost to build and maintain houses for the amount of people covered by HAP and similar payments?

We obviously need more social housing built but when so many social tenant are in arrears I can understand the reluctance to do so.

Lots of vulture funds receive HAP payments.

However many of the over 20,000 landlords that get HAP payments avail of increased tax relief e.g. 100% relief on their mortgage interest, as an expense against rental income or many other tax avoidance mechanisms designed to assist landlords avoid tax on HAP

• Advertisement

The original poster said

"The landlords of Ireland are gouging everyone these days"

That's why I asked the original question. Not sure why you chose to call private landlords plebs.

Pleb

an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.

Pleb

an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.

I'm aware on how to use Google but thanks for posting the definition of the word. I asked why you chose to describe normal landlords as plebs.

I'm aware on how to use Google but thanks for posting the definition of the word. I asked why you chose to describe normal landlords as plebs.

Because ordinary landlords are being treated differently to larger, more powerful landlords. One could say treated differently to a patrician landlord class.

Because ordinary landlords are being treated differently to larger, more powerful landlords. One could say treated differently to a patrician landlord class.

Again nothing to do with my original question to the other poster but can I ask do you have a pension? If so have you specified that you don't want the fund invested in property.

Again nothing to do with my original question to the other poster but can I ask do you have a pension? If so have you specified that you don't want the fund invested in property.

No. I don’t have a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Don't they make up a tiny amount of landlords in Ireland?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't they make up a tiny amount of landlords in Ireland?

One fund of many owns 2,500 units in Dublin alone. Hardly tiny by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

In fairness if they're going to build social housing there should be adequate accommodation for d'horses too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

One fund of many owns 2,500 units in Dublin alone. Hardly tiny by any stretch.

That is tiny. I'll try find the statistic but I think something like 70 percent of Irish landlords own 5 properties or less.

"Vulture" funds are a small player, especially in residential.

EDIT:

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-landlords-have-multiple-properties-897316.html

"Landlords who own two properties still account for the vast majority of multiple property owners. There are 122,900 individuals registered as having two properties liable for LPT, representing 69% of all landlords with investment properties."

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    That is tiny. I'll try find the statistic but I think something like 70 percent of Irish landlords own 5 properties or less.

"Vulture" funds are a small player, especially in residential.

EDIT:

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-landlords-have-multiple-properties-897316.html

"Landlords who own two properties still account for the vast majority of multiple property owners. There are 122,900 individuals registered as having two properties liable for LPT, representing 69% of all landlords with investment properties."

The amount of tax sheltered rent which the vulture funds generate is obviously much higher than the equivalent number of ordinary landlords because of the number of units they control. So saying that 69% of landlords own 2 properties tells us little about the amount of units owned by vulture funds.

Advertisement