Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG councillors react with anger and distress at plans for social housing in Cork.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

my penis is dripping when I think of how well I would live as a landlord, skimming, raising the rent, walking into other peoples homes to inspect, pulling up the blinds and leaning on the window sill like I own the place, toby, ah ha, toby toby, the slats in the bed are broken , you did too much bonking, Tony time to dust down the paperbacks, place your tongue under my testicles, william. The rent is going up by fifteen pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Andreas77 wrote: »
    my penis is dripping when I think of how well I would live as a landlord, skimming, raising the rent, walking into other peoples homes to inspect, pulling up the blinds and leaning on the window sill like I own the place, toby, ah ha, toby toby, the slats in the bed are broken , you did too much bonking, Tony time to dust down the paperbacks, place your tongue under my testicles, william. The rent is going up by fifteen pounds

Ah yes Stumpet City. A much underrated classic.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Private landlords are scum

Despite the fact that - in the absence of any coherent and equitable social housing policy from local authorities and the goverment - private landlords provide housing for many tenants that can't afford to buy a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Montenotte!!

Monocles being dropped all over the place at the prospect.

TBF its down towards the Garda station so basically Mayfield.

Pretty ordinary people living in the area.

People are pretty pissed locally because it was given planning for 40 odd private houses with a mix of some social housing but for some reason the Council have decided to block convert the whole lot to social housing.

Best guess is the developer is pushing for a once off payment from the Council (effectively the Government) rather than houses being sold on the market 1 by 1.

There's a huge shortage of private housing and room to build new housing in the area.

Also a lot of close to retirement people who were hoping it'd entice their kids to stay close.

Like most news articles these days the clickbait headline doesn't give the full picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Despite the fact that - in the absence of any coherent and equitable social housing policy from local authorities and the goverment - private landlords provide housing for many tenants that can't afford to buy a house.

They shouldn't be allowed to own a property for rental in the first place. Nobody should be allowed to own more than twice as much as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It is hardly surprising when one thinks of the attitude to ordinary Irish people by Fine Gaels founding fathers.

“People reared in workhouses, as you are aware, are no great acquisition to the community and they have no ideas whatsoever of civic responsibilities. As a rule their highest aim is to live at the expense of the ratepayers. Consequently, it would be a decided gain if they all took it into their heads to emigrate. “

WT Cosgrave

Brian Lenihan Snr. said something similar many years ago.

Something along the lines of "We need a few million to emigrate just to give the country a chance of working".

Brian Lenihan Snr. said something similar many years ago.

Something along the lines of "We need a few million to emigrate just to give the country a chance of working".

What he said was “We can’t all live on a small island”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Fair play for having the patience to try and reason with such shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    What he said was “We can’t all live on a small island”.

He was right whatever way he said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Montenotte!!

Monocles being dropped all over the place at the prospect.
    Not to mention good port being spilt on the carpet

• Advertisement

Montesnotty was usurped long ago by Rochestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes

currently approx. 14% for pre 2013 entrants as well as PRSI/USC as State pension is "incorporated into the pension"

those since 2013 are on the Single Scheme which is a more complicated pension based on average yearly income
    There is a rank stench of hypocrisy, considering Noonan cosied up to vulture fund managers not long ago...effectively presiding over eviction of families from their homes.

"Vultures, you know, carry out a very good service in the ecology."

Unless you're a hardcore p1ss take merchant, you won't loose your home to a bank in this country, the scandal is that they don't repossess near enough

How much of that €900m is taken back in tax?

What would it cost to build and maintain houses for the amount of people covered by HAP and similar payments?

We obviously need more social housing built but when so many social tenant are in arrears I can understand the reluctance to do so.

A third of local authority tenants are in arrears despite the very modest rent charged, do they face eviction?, no chance

HAP is the cheaper option for the state, councils have no interest in being in the business of maintaining properties for people who respect nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Ironic thing is there are already lots of people with a social housing need living in Montenotte. But they are living in private rental accomadation and their landlords are getting large financial transfers.
    It says everything about FGs ideology and why their is a housing crisis.
    They are fundamentaly opposed to social housing.

This doesn’t tally with their soft on traveller crime approach or giving travellers special status . Like a lot of the PC brigade travellers are great people until they move in to your area . People in rural Ireland have been terrorized for years , let montenotte get their share as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We obviously need more social housing built but when so many social tenant are in arrears I can understand the reluctance to do so.

the arrears of current social housing tenants is very nearly as important an issue as building more social housing.

there HAS to be consequences for not paying your absolutely tiny social housing rent. why they cant stop it at source i dont understand.

the arrears of current social housing tenants is very nearly as important an issue as building more social housing.

there HAS to be consequences for not paying your absolutely tiny social housing rent. why they cant stop it at source i dont understand.

You won't see an rte prime time special on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

If you count all the financial transfers to landlords from that and other schemes it is now closer to €900 million a year. That would build an awful lot of social housing.
    And it would still be there next year.
    The €900 million to landlords is "dead money"

When I read of the tens of millions in rental arrears in local authority housing and the inability to get/seek evictions, then I can clearly see why any Govt would want to pass the social housing risk for on to the private sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Agreed, it’s outrageous that people are falling behind on their rent. It’s obvious a certain cohort have decided to prioritise other spending over rent, safe in the knowledge that there’ll be no repercussions.

Deduct it at source and change the law to make evictions easier if the tenant refuses to engage with the local authority or landlord.

Added bonus is that it’ll free up some housing stock for those in emergency accommodation. Won’t make a difference to the actual number of people “homeless” but I’d say anyone coming out of emergency accommodation will make bloody sure their rent is paid to avoid going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Agreed, it’s outrageous that people are falling behind on their rent. It’s obvious a certain cohort have decided to prioritise other spending over rent, safe in the knowledge that there’ll be no repercussions.

It's outrageous that a certain political party are not providing social housing.
    It’s obvious a certain cohort have decided to prioritise giving nearly a billion Euro a year to their landlord friends, safe in the knowledge that there’ll be no repercussions.

So what happens when people are evicted from social housing for non payment of rent? They are either turfed out on the street or housed in emergency accommodation only to go back on the housing list.

For some people, using the rent money to pay other bills is the only access to credit they have.

• Advertisement

It's outrageous that a certain political party are not providing social housing.
    It’s obvious a certain cohort have decided to prioritise giving nearly a billion Euro a year to their landlord friends, safe in the knowledge that there’ll be no repercussions.

Ah would ya stop, they had to change the law to force private landlords to accept HAP.

Truth is housing social tenants is a bad investment and the state is doing very well out of shifting that risk into the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: AH -> CA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I hope there’s room for horses as well for residents of these 54 social houses in montenotte.
    About time montenotte got some culture !

What about the often forgotten taxpayers, f*** them because of a few travellers etc.?

The real scandal is only 10% is social. Obvious case of snobbery from people probably started out in a ditch. Fine Gael don't understand or don't care about the housing crisis.

Ah would ya stop, they had to change the law to force private landlords to accept HAP.

Truth is housing social tenants is a bad investment and the state is doing very well out of shifting that risk into the private sector.

A bad investment is paying for hotels.

Basically a bad investment for the tax payer is okay once private business is kept happy. Proof? Worsening housing crisis breaking records year on year.

KerranJast wrote: »
    TBF its down towards the Garda station so basically Mayfield.

Pretty ordinary people living in the area.

People are pretty pissed locally because it was given planning for 40 odd private houses with a mix of some social housing but for some reason the Council have decided to block convert the whole lot to social housing.

Best guess is the developer is pushing for a once off payment from the Council (effectively the Government) rather than houses being sold on the market 1 by 1.

There's a huge shortage of private housing and room to build new housing in the area.

Also a lot of close to retirement people who were hoping it'd entice their kids to stay close.

Like most news articles these days the clickbait headline doesn't give the full picture.
    Yip. It is Mayfield through and through - but saying it's Montenotte helps to make it juicier.

A bad investment is paying for hotels.

Agreed. But is it worse than borrowing to build social housing; the rent on which will eventually fall into arrears?
    Basically a bad investment for the tax payer is okay once private business is kept happy. Proof? Worsening housing crisis breaking records year on year.

You've made this up.

Agreed. But is it worse than borrowing to build social housing; the rent on which will eventually fall into arrears?

Still cheaper if they pay zero rent when compared to a hotel or buying over building.
    You've made this up.

No it's true, we have a housing crisis were the only people doing well out of it are private business, vulture funds we rent and buy off, sometimes property we sold them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Still cheaper if they pay zero rent when compared to a hotel or buying over building.

It has been explained to you many many times why and how you are getting this wrong.
    No it's true, we have a housing crisis were the only people doing well out of it are private business, vulture funds we rent and buy off, sometimes property we sold them in the first place.

If you have a pension scheme, many of them are invested in your so-called vulture funds. So you are talking about everyday ordinary workers, not vulture funds.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It has been explained to you many many times why and how you are getting this wrong.

Building en masse is cheaper than buying. That's how developers and contractors make a living by building and selling. The Owners of the companies aren't digging ditches themselves.

Which is cheaper, letting a family stay rent free in a property we own on our land or paying for a hotel? You dodged this elsewhere.

You go ahead so, I'm all ears.
    Also please supply your alternate idea. Thanks.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you have a pension scheme, many of them are invested in your so-called vulture funds. So you are talking about everyday ordinary workers, not vulture funds.

What crap. Who makes up the investors doesn't make them any less vulture funds. It's not all people preparing for retirement either. You can be sure Noonan is up to his neck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement