Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated grips wiring

Options
  • 22-11-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello,

the controller on my heated grips seems to have died, from the looks of it water got in and it corroded to death.

Its an ancient Oxford model so my thought was to get one of these Oxford HotGrips v8 Heat Controller

Now the problem is that I am not that good with electronics. The original controller comes with one red, black and white wire. While the new one would have two red and white and one black. One for each grip I guess.

Now for the big question would this work or am I about to set fire to the bike :D

Cut off the old controller
    Connect the black wire from the new controller to the old black wire
    Connect both red wires from the new controller to the single old red wire
    Connect both white wires from the new controller to the single old white wire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

SantaClaw wrote: »
    Hello,

the controller on my heated grips seems to have died, from the looks of it water got in and it corroded to death.

Its an ancient Oxford model so my thought was to get one of these Oxford HotGrips v8 Heat Controller

Now the problem is that I am not that good with electronics. The original controller comes with one red, black and white wire. While the new one would have two red and white and one black. One for each grip I guess.

Now for the big question would this work or am I about to set fire to the bike :D

Cut off the old controller
    Connect the black wire from the new controller to the old black wire
    Connect both red wires from the new controller to the single old red wire
    Connect both white wires from the new controller to the single old white wire

Personally, i'd just use the old cables to guide the new cables so all the wiring is new and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My controller broke a few weeks ago too. I'm stick of these Oxford grips always failing. I would prefer a simple on off switch but my electrical knowledge isn't good enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My controller broke a few weeks ago too. I'm stick of these Oxford grips always failing. I would prefer a simple on off switch but my electrical knowledge isn't good enough for that.

Mines installed over 4 years works as perfectly today as it did when installed. Used daily in the winter months it's a year round commuter.

How old was yours. And how many have you had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Have you oxford grips myself, no issue with the functioning of them, only downside is the left grip keeps loosening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My missus got heated gloves at the NEC show. No fiddling with bike wiring and they heat your whole hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

D3V!L wrote: »
    My missus got heated gloves at the NEC show. No fiddling with bike wiring and they heat your whole hand.

Good thinking, Keep the hands warm while you're waiting on the AA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

zubair wrote: »
    Good thinking, Keep the hands warm while you're waiting on the AA

It's funny cos it's true......

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'll have to replace gloves a lot sooner than you'll have to replace grips. Plus being wired to the bike is a PITA.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Fabio

You can open the old controller and see if you can clean it out. Did that to mine, gave me another 12 months out of it. They do fail eventually though.

Advertisement