Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training

• 22-11-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Wondering if anyone has any good tips for how to go about potty training? I was considering doing it over Christmas when I've a bit of time off, but I'll be between my house and my parents - although if I was doing it I'd try to spend one week straight in one location.

My little girl will be 2.5. She's expressed interest in using the toilet and is quite good at telling me when her nappy needs to be changed but it isn't consistent.

I'm thinking of doing it as we've another one due in June and it would be good to have her fully trained well before then. Or perhaps I should wait till the weather is warmer and let her run around a bit without a nappy?

Not sure how to embark on it, so any tips or guidance appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If you think she's ready go for it!

We were advised to skip the potty and go straight to main toilet so I got one those toilet seats with a ladder attached.... It does the job but it's not the most stable of products.

Go to penneys and stock up on pants.

We found a rewards chart worked well.

Some children take to it really easily, mine didn't. I stopped left it a few weeks and tried again. I've friends that had to do the same.

One thing you may not have considered or may not apply... Your child will be eligible for ecce scheme in September? Mine wouldn't take them unless toilet trained...so starting in July may be abit late.

My only concern about starting at Christmas is how busy the house will be. Fear of missing out causes many accidents :)

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Following this!

My 2.5 year old expressed great interest a few months ago. Started telling me when he needed to go etc.
    Bought him a potty and he sat on it a few times (did nothing) but now he has absolutely zero interest.

Yesterday when i collected him from creche the girl told me that he had done a wee on the big toilet - i was so surprised!

She said theres a kid in his room that is toilet training and my son is really interested in what he is doing.

She asked me if i wanted her to keep trying him on the toilet.

Would that be pointless though if he doesnt want to do it at home or is it a good place to start?

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    Following this!

My 2.5 year old expressed great interest a few months ago. Started telling me when he needed to go etc.
    Bought him a potty and he sat on it a few times (did nothing) but now he has absolutely zero interest.

Yesterday when i collected him from creche the girl told me that he had done a wee on the big toilet - i was so surprised!

She said theres a kid in his room that is toilet training and my son is really interested in what he is doing.

She asked me if i wanted her to keep trying him on the toilet.

Would that be pointless though if he doesnt want to do it at home or is it a good place to start?

Take all the help you can get!!!! :) if they are willing to do it and your boy is playing ball leave them to it. Mine refuses to go in preschool holds it until he gets home.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Look up the three day potty method - that worked for mine and he was dry day and night in 2.5 days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Go for it.June is a good long way away, she would get it in plenty of time.2.5 seems to be a good time for most girls.
    I could write an essay on it but honestly, stock up on some books for reading while sitting on it, have lots of patience and expect nothing much for the first couple of days.Don't go near doing it for nightime, it will come in it's own time.Daytime first.
    Also have spare bottoms in the house, a step for her to stand on, and lots of underwear.Remember a cover for the buggy and carseat seats (in particular the car seat!!!).And have Dettol wipes and a good mop and bucket!!!
    My first was endless, and probably wasn't ready.My second got it in a day and half, told.me to go away and give her privacy.They are all different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Cover your furniture! Get some of those dust sheets you use when painting. I found that once we did that, we weren't stressed if they had an accident (as it was easy to clean) and as a result the kids weren't stressed.

As others have said, have plenty of knickers. This might be harder this time of year, but if possible let her around the place with just knickers and a top. At the start that makes it easier for her to get to the toilet/ potty in time.

When we started we had pottys (I have twins so trained them together) and brought them everywhere with us, so it was the same set up where ever they went. After a few weeks we transitioned to the toilet with a toilet seat and that worked fine for us. We gave them stickers and other small treats (not food, but things like bouncy balls or crayons) for performance. The biggest thing (and it is hard to do sometimes) is to praise the successes and not give out about the failures. It takes a lot of positive reinforcement!

I found that after about 5 days it just clicked with them. It was tough (and messy) going for them until then but after the first week we haven't looked back. I would say one or other of them probably has a week accident every two weeks. It has been month since we have had a poo accident.

We haven't night time trained them yet, that is our next hurdle to climb!

Post above reminded me, we used a double mattress protector on the couch seats. A single one would have done I just had a new double in the house at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Don’t forget your car seats! Put something on them just in case. Puppy training pads or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭chases0102

OP Snap! Very similar situation here...Only child, but will have a brother or sister in April....2.5 year old, boy, and we're going to do it over Christmas. Hasn't shown any interest really - the odd request to change his nappy. Is aware of the toilet, and what it is, but seems very non-plussed about using it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Thanks for all the feedback everyone .. really helpful!

I think I'll go for it soon but I might wait until Feb and take a week off. I just think Christmas might be a bit too hectic - up and down to my parents and we're only after moving to a new house so things are still a bit of a mess. That'll still leave time for her to hopefully be fully trained or close to before the arrival of the next little one!

Great tips here though - really useful. Thanks again :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement