Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident with a cyclist - do I need a solicitor

Options
  • 22-11-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

So recently I was involved in an accident with a cyclist. As I was driving I needed to change lanes to make a left turn, i check around me, indicate and start moving moving into the left lane. Meanwhile the cyclist cycling ahead of me apparently had the same idea and wanted to move into the left lane but he never indicated this resulting in my car clipping into the back of his bike as we both had the unfortunate timing of moving into the left lane at the same time. The poor cyclist did have a bad fall but that was due to the crazy rain that evening. Both the car and bike were undamaged. An ambulance was rang for the cyclist who claimed he had hurt his leg. I rang the garda who took over 40 minutes to arrive by which time all witnesses had moved on (once again crazy rain) . The cyclist is now claiming against me and has a solicitor involved. My insurance company are investigating but it doesn't look too good for me as I never informed them of the accident (as I was not at fault I didnt see the need) . They also said since I hit him from the back that its my fault even if CTV footage shows he failed to indicate. Is this true ?? It seems insane to me. I am wondering how much could this cyclist possibly be looking to claim and should I get my own solicitor ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

This is what insurance is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

let your insurance deal with it, i dont think you need an independent solicitor unless insurance says they
    wont pay claim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

patrice11 wrote: »
    Hello,

So recently I was involved in an accident with a cyclist. As I was driving I needed to change lanes to make a left turn, i check around me, indicate and start moving moving into the left lane. Meanwhile the cyclist cycling ahead of me apparently had the same idea and wanted to move into the left lane but he never indicated this resulting in my car clipping into the back of his bike as we both had the unfortunate timing of moving into the left lane at the same time. The poor cyclist did have a bad fall but that was due to the crazy rain that evening. Both the car and bike were undamaged. An ambulance was rang for the cyclist who claimed he had hurt his leg. I rang the garda who took over 40 minutes to arrive by which time all witnesses had moved on (once again crazy rain) . The cyclist is now claiming against me and has a solicitor involved. My insurance company are investigating but it doesn't look too good for me as I never informed them of the accident (as I was not at fault I didnt see the need) . They also said since I hit him from the back that its my fault even if CTV footage shows he failed to indicate. Is this true ?? It seems insane to me. I am wondering how much could this cyclist possibly be looking to claim and should I get my own solicitor ?

Sounds like its 100% your fault regardless of whether he indicated to move or not. Wasting your time and money getting a solicitor. Let your insurance company deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

patrice11 wrote: »
    Hello,

He may not have indicated but you were clearly far too close to a cyclist who couldn't see you.

100% your fault I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Yes just let the insurance deal with the claim, rear ending is almost always assigned 100 percent blame so dead to rights.

Whatever they are awarded, their solicitor gets between 40-60%, its unlikely you can contest blame even with a solicitor involved plus there would be significant cost involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's no different to you running into the back of another car.
    Even if the CCTV did show the cyclist not indicating, you didn't give enough space to go around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Can't give legal advice beyond the good advice already given which is to deal with your insurers, so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement