Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing a mast?

• 22-11-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I figured this would be a good place to ask where one could buy a mast. It's not for a hobby radio but to fit a Nanostation.
    The trees around our house have gotten considerably taller and I'm thinking a decent mast on the outskirts of the tree line to place the Nanostation on top would be an ideal fix.

Any help would be great.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mfield wrote: »
    Hi,

I figured this would be a good place to ask where one could buy a mast. It's not for a hobby radio but to fit a Nanostation.
    The trees around our house have gotten considerably taller and I'm thinking a decent mast on the outskirts of the tree line to place the Nanostation on top would be an ideal fix.

Any help would be great.

Thanks. :)

A mast for a nano station is a bit of overkill.

How high do you need to go? Could you put pipe on the chimney or gable end with brackets.

You can also get telescopic fibre glass poles but would need guying. I have gone 50 feet with scaffolding poles. Need to be very careful though.

Don't know of any where selling, most people get a local engineering firm to make them up. Plenty of ideas on the net.

Gb antenna in the Netherlands used to have a simple one on their website.

BTW if you use 2.4Ghz nano stations instead of 5Ghz they are less likely to attenuation with surrounding objects like trees. Depending on your location. if in a built up area 2.4 can be crowded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »

How high do you need to go? Could you put pipe on the chimney or gable end with brackets.

You can also get telescopic fibre glass poles but would need guying. I have gone 50 feet with scaffolding poles. Need to be very careful though.

Don't know of any where selling, most people get a local engineering firm to make them up. Plenty of ideas on the net.

BTW if you use 2.4Ghz nano stations instead of 5Ghz they are less likely to attenuation with surrounding objects like trees. Depending on your location. if in a built up area 2.4 can be crowded.

Just adding a couple of pics of some of the nano we have around the farm here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

orm0nd wrote: »

Thanks for the reply orm0nd and apologies for the late response.

We have the nano on the chimney at the moment, but the growth of the trees around the house is now causing problems. I’m not 100% how high it is at the moment but I’d say around 10 metres from the ground.

My thinking was to take it down from there and go outside the trees and it would solve the problem. Just how I do it, I’m unsure.

A fibreglass pole sounds like a cost effective method. The only thing is the ground could be quite rocky.

Advertisement