Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grizzs hunting trip

Options
  • 22-11-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭

Greets all from a part of a forest in lower Faranconia,Germany.
    Am off for a few days in Germany and Hungary, for some hunting.

This was the start this AM.A yearling wild boar sow shot at 35 meters with a 12 gauge slug Rottweil Jagd) from a Benelli M3.
    Be going onto Hungary for pheasent shooting on Monday.
    So if i interested stay tuned .
    Grizz

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Old school continental boar hunting, 12ga semi loaded with slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Old school continental boar hunting, 12ga semi loaded with slugs.

Would love to do that kind of hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sold the boar to the butcher today in Germany.
    15 euros trichinisois test before it can be sold to the public.65kilo carcass weight .50 euros nett price.

BTW for venision here in the carcass weight gutted and in the skin.3euros per kilo

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    BTW for venision here in the carcass weight gutted and in the skin.3euros per kilo

Stop would ya! If that was the case here and lads hear that it'll be like this each weekend :D

source.gif
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I presume (?) you are given guns out there or did you bring one of your own? What type and caliber? (other than the Benelli, if any)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

Cass wrote: »
    Stop would ya! If that was the case here and lads hear that it'll be like this each weekend :D

source.gif

That's not too far removed from the reality of the situation....

I was out for a stalk this evening. Sunset at 16:15. Back in the Uncles house by 17:30. I know it's Christmas, but I'm pretty sure all the lamps I could see twinkling around me weren't decorative. I heard a couple of shots going off when I was getting into the car after 18:00..... maybe they were out shooting foxes.

Regarding the price of venison. Last season, €2.70 a kilo was the going rate for an eviscerated carcass with head and hocks removed.

Nothing will change until something is done about the gravy train surrounding "approved game handling establishments". Until then, the real hunters (whatever that means) will continue to suffer.

Sorry to drag the thread off topic....

I presume (?) you are given guns out there or did you bring one of your own? What type and caliber? (other than the Benelli, if any)

Nope.Took me own.IE the M3 Benelli[pump/semi 12 ga].Rottweil Waidmannsheil slug out of a half choke barrel no problem at 30 meters. Dead on impact and clean thru the chest cavity.
    My cousin was using a HK mod 940 30.06.[His std boar buster rifle]. For the distances you are shooting over there in forest conditions,you are good to go with a shotgun or a big cal rifle.[300 Win mag /308 upwards is the minimum requirement by law] with a holo or open sights.

Travelling with guns,if you choose your route and airline it isnt a biggie.Just make sure you have plenty of time to get there.3hours almost wasnt enough on last Thurs week due to an accident on the M7.Made it with 40 mins to spare.:eek:

To be continued.

So two days later I was in Dobroz,Hungary for pheasent shooting.Place is as flat as Holland and less intresting landscape wise. Vast 2kilometer X2 kilometre arable fields surrounded by drainage ditches on all four sides,that are over grown and where the pheasants are residing.From 7;30 to 14;30 hrs we must have walked with the 3 beaters,and a Hungarian Vistula and German Wirehair Pointer at least10 miles for the grand total of 37 birds on the 1st day and 27 on day 2 64 in total averaging 2 shots per bird.
    On previous drives when we had my uncle with us.That would have been a mornings score per gun. For walked up and on a driven beat:P
    Hard earned for the effort of hopping over the Hungarian mud and carrying at least 2lbs of it on your wellies at all times.Which are the only footwear you need for the Hungarian countryside,east of Budapest.:p

One thing they are not short of out there is roe deer.At one field ,over 120 roe deer of various shapes &sizes crossed us at 100 meters distance,coming out of a very last stretch of maize that was being harvested for fodder..You could litrally pick what you fancied in a trophy buck,if you were hunting them.

Still,a good weeks holiday,that beats giving oneself skin cancer on a beach someplace while drinking ridicilous ammounts of cheap booze and wrecking the liver at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fair play Grizzly, really enjoyed reading your updates.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Not adviseable in Germany TBH.We still have a AFIK a Govt sanction ofshoot to kill permission on poachers if they resist arrest.Another reason you are permitted to cary a handgun with you while hunting.

Throwback to old German Imperial,Weimar and 3rd Reich hunting law,that no one saw fit,or "overlooked" even post war occupation to correct.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement