Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Bank in Ireland is the most economically illiterate?

• 22-11-2019 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Don't like large deposits, don't like deposits to or from crypto exchanges, don't like mortgage applications even with a LTV of 26% even when admitting you can clearly afford it and your credit is fine but it's 200 miles from your work. Closing accounts because they have too much money in them.

We bailed these morons out remember.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

Don't like large deposits, don't like deposits to or from crypto exchanges, don't like mortgage applications even with a LTV of 26% even when admitting you can clearly afford it and your credit is fine but it's 200 miles from your work. Closing accounts because they have too much money in them.

The Central Bank. **** flows downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Closing accounts because they have too much money in them.

Did this happen to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Did this happen to you?

That is not for discussion here. I am stating fact when I say they write to people and demand they close their account in 7 days and remove the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dunno OP, this topic appears at first glance, to be rather advanced for After Hours discussion. Could be wrong.

I am stating fact when I say they write to people and demand they close their account in 7 days and remove the money.

Prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

The sperm bank. I’ve only ever been able to make a deposit, withdrawals aren’t allowed apparently.

Disgraceful.

Prove it.

I would say if you know anyone in one of the major banks and asked if this is done then you will have your proof. What are you looking for on after hours? scanned letters?

I would say if you know anyone in one of the major banks and asked if this is done then you will have your proof. What are you looking for on after hours? scanned letters?

Just seems a bit outrageous is all. I call BS.

Just seems a bit outrageous is all. I call BS.

Call what you like, it would not take you long to find out this is not BS.

Bank writes letter asking about funds, not satisfied write out of the blue months later a demands 7 day closure. Move funds to other irish bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Call what you like, it would not take you long to find out this is not BS.

Bank writes letter asking about funds, not satisfied write out of the blue months later a demands 7 day closure. Move funds to other irish bank.

That's because of potential money laundering. As you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Bottle Bank

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We guaranteed the deposits of those who held money in the banks, and bailed out those who had mortgages from them and were unable to make their repayments. Those who wanted to burn the bondholders were the morons, as everybody would have perished in the fire.

Crypto is not legal tender. They are doing the right thing by not engaging with it.

River banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Going by your username OP it seems like the bank doesn't want anything to do with cryptocurrency.

Going by your username OP it seems like the bank doesn't want anything to do with cryptocurrency.

Could you blame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Banks don’t want ‘crypto bros’ as customers. Bitcoin is widely used for money laundering purposes. Crypto is also used for wild speculation (known as gambling). Gamblers don’t get mortgages.

Not unique to Ireland, dude. Crypto is the sort of thing the banks can do without.

We guaranteed the deposits of those who held money in the banks, and bailed out those who had mortgages from them and were unable to make their repayments. Those who wanted to burn the bondholders were the morons, as everybody would have perished in the fire.

Crypto is not legal tender. They are doing the right thing by not engaging with it.

You sound like you work for them. Banks were private institutions, the bonds were often unsecured and capitalism, if we were capitalist would have meant they crashed and burned.

Also you seem to have glossed over so much with your explanation of what the taxpayer ponied up for.

Man shows deposit to exchanges years ago and now wants to withdraw substantially more from same exchange years later.

The funds didn't do much else other then make gains inbetween. Most normal banking nations take the deposits fine.

Banks don’t want ‘crypto bros’ as customers. Bitcoin is widely used for money laundering purposes. Crypto is also used for wild speculation (known as gambling). Gamblers don’t get mortgages.

Not unique to Ireland, dude. Crypto is the sort of thing the banks can do without.

It's actually quite unique

Man shows deposit to exchanges years ago and now wants to withdraw substantially more from same exchange years later.

The funds didn't do much else other then make gains inbetween. Most normal banking nations take the deposits fine.

Get a mortgage from the Crypto people.

• Advertisement

Get a mortgage from the Crypto people.

Actually I have closed that gap with one of them. :D It will be bought outright without them.

Actually I have closed that gap with one of them. :D It will be bought outright without them.

Are you going to commute 400 miles a day?

Are you going to commute 400 miles a day?

Nah, just weekends, like much of the country.

Except I don't rent here either.

Nah, just weekends, like much of the country.

It seems like an economically illiterate approach to try to get a mortgage when you had the funds to buy it outright. Even in these ultra low interest rate times.

It seems like an economically illiterate approach to try to get a mortgage when you had the funds to buy it outright. Even in these ultra low interest rate times.
    Nah I was 26% short and mortgages were a lower interest rate then personal loans. It's logical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Cryptocurrency enthusiast who accuses banks of being economically illiterate literally doesn't know the meaning of the word economics...
    Did you mean "financially" op?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which Bank in Ireland is the most economically illiterate?

Not this one https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blood-bank-sells-surplus-plasma-to-raise-800000-26622199.html

sabat wrote: »
    Cryptocurrency enthusiast who accuses banks of being economically illiterate literally doesn't know the meaning of the word economics...
    Did you mean "financially" op?

Man picks holes in spelling on internet. Get up champ, I know you are hurt but get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The sperm bank. I’ve only ever been able to make a deposit, withdrawals aren’t allowed apparently.

Disgraceful.

You must have some 'wad' deposited by now !

• Advertisement
Advertisement