Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to give back my council house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 molly.007

Which council and is it one of those old 1950s ones you see about? If you can afford to hand it back you most certainly shouldn't have one

Hi cryptocurrency if I could afford to hand it back ,I would have fixed the problems already, but unfortunately I’m stuck trying to get mould off the walls but thank you kindly for your reply

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I hope you have been contacting them on a very regular basis and not just the once two years ago.
    Take plenty of clear photographs and go to your housing office and tell them about the issues. Make sure to make a note of the date you were there and who you spoke with. Keep contacting them.
    Contact your local councillor or T.D. show them the pictures or get them to visit your house and hopefully they will move things along quicker for you.
    Hi k flyer thanks for your reply sick of getting on to the council they send someone out but never follow up they promise the moon and the stars but nothing is ever done have all the photos and dates but it seems it’s falling on deaf ears every time I speak to someone in the council

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

Do other houses have issues in the estate thst you are aware of?
    There has been funding to retrofit council accommodation but not sure if the deep retrofit scheme has used that up.
    If you have respiratory conditions such as asthma etc the hse can make a referral to warmth and wellbeing scheme to cover cost.
    However leaks from toilet sound like main issue. I lived in a very damp house for a while .like you there were underlying issues which needed to be solved. Everything else is just papering over cracks.
    Try local councillor , tds with elections coming up they will be keener to help.

Do other houses have issues in the estate thst you are aware of?
    There has been funding to retrofit council accommodation but not sure if the deep retrofit scheme has used that up.
    If you have respiratory conditions such as asthma etc the hse can make a referral to warmth and wellbeing scheme to cover cost.
    However leaks from toilet sound like main issue. I lived in a very damp house for a while .like you there were underlying issues which needed to be solved. Everything else is just papering over cracks.
    Try local councillor , tds with elections coming up they will be keener to help.

Hi head the ball thank you kindly for your reply I will try a td and see will that help

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

I'll take your house and you can have my room in my mams 30€ a week food Bill's included,I'm 44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

2013Lara wrote: »
    Get yourself the best electric dehumidifier you can afford. I recommend the 20L Meaco which is about 300euro. Low energy so not too expensive to run. Obviously the cause needs to be looked at. And you need to ventilate and heat the house properly but the dehumidifier could completely solve any mould/condensation issues while you wait for the council to fix the cause.

I was going to post this! A dehumidifier is essential and yes will remove the damp. I used one for years in a very damp house. The amount of water it drew in was amazing.

Did not pay anything like the one you suggest. Mine was around E60 and perfectly good; argos still have that price.

It will ease the issues and give you more strength to tackle the council!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

triona1 wrote: »
    I'll take your house and you can have my room in my mams 30€ a week food Bill's included,I'm 44

holy crap, bargain alert! To OP, I had a mould problem and got rid of it using anti mould spray from Lidl. Maybe check out Woodies or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The other big offender is cooking... (you need an extractor fan), just having a pot on simmer for a hour makes a huge amount of water vapour, which condenses on cold surfaces..

That won't do much to fix leaky pipes though, I think I'd be ringing/calling to the council daily to get them to send out a plumber...
    Get to know the person/people answering the phone, be friendly.. But insist on updates,insist on talking to who ever is allocating the work.. Good luck with it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

triona1 wrote: »

Hi triona I’m also 44 and my husband is 46 I’m not looking to jump the queue or get a new house I’m fully aware there is a housing crisis and I do hope people out there get homes for there family I’m just so frustrated that the council are Leaving people live in these mouldy and damp conditions and get away with it . Everyone one deserves the right to a clean home No matter what the circumstances
    Thank you kindly for your reply I hope you get sorted soon
    Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Not all damp problems are the same. What works for some on here will not work for all. Without knowing the actual causes. Set up a Flickr account and take as many photos as you can of problem areas, photos of the drainage outside etc.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Could the damp problems be down to the way the house is used, rather than any structural fault?

I've seen plenty of occurances where lower income tenants will block room vents in order to keep drafts out, not realising the problem they are causing by doing that.

Put on top of that drying clothes on clothes horses / rads etc due to not owning or wanting to use a tumble dryer.

Also, these tenants tend to be sickly, or older, or both, and need to have internal temperatures above average to feel comfortable.

These cause huge amounts of moisture to build up in internal climate, and when the heavily moisture laden vapour his a cold surface (wall) it condenses into water.
    This is more obvious at thermal bridges (junctions usually) which are colder than the rest of the surface.

This can happen in any age band dwelling.

So I wonder was this investigated,

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Could the damp problems be down to the way the house is used, rather than any structural fault?

I've seen plenty of occurances where lower income tenants will block room vents in order to keep drafts out, not realising the problem they are causing by doing that.

Put on top of that drying clothes on clothes horses / rads etc due to not owning or wanting to use a tumble dryer.

Also, these tenants tend to be sickly, or older, or both, and need to have internal temperatures above average to feel comfortable.

These cause huge amounts of moisture to build up in internal climate, and when the heavily moisture laden vapour his a cold surface (wall) it condenses into water.
    This is more obvious at thermal bridges (junctions usually) which are colder than the rest of the surface.

This can happen in any age band dwelling.

So I wonder was this investigated,

Hi sydthebet
    I’m waiting still for an engineer to find a cause for the problem ,In one of the bedrooms there is like weeds growing out on the outside of that bedroom wall .i use a weed killer to get rid of it but it just continues to grow ,so I don’t know would that be one cause of the problem ,that room would be the worst room in the house. I leave the window open on a daily basis and put heating on in the evening to dry out the house ,I have no wall vents all my vents are in my windows my dryer is in my shed so that’s where I would dry all my clothes it’s just a vicious circle
    Thank you kindly for your reply

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you go to woodies you can get a product called HG Mould Spray. My apartment was plagued with mould and this was the best thing I ever got, it even removed the stains on the wall. It did come back eventually (it always does) but I definitely got way longer before it started to appear.

Also I saw someone mentioned further up the thread about a Meaco dehumidifier - if you live in a damp property one of these is essential IMO. Yes, they are expensive, but the amount it'll save you in heartache is worth it. I spent a fortune on dehumidifiers over the years and they would only do so much, and when it got too cold they didn't work. The Meaco ones are dessicant so they work even in very low temperatures.

Between the HG spray and the Meaco dehumidifier, the mould is finally under control for the first time in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Molly.007 definately get a dehumidifier. Few tips. Got domestos mild and mildew spray to wash the walls.air the house everyday with windows open.. For at least an hour.
    The guttering could be blocked with moss and water running down the walls outside.
    When you are cooking open the window or door. Extractor is not enough. Put lids on pots when you cook as steam will travel. Will save on electricity.
    If you have a condenser dryer(vented into the room) maybe change to outside vented room.
    Also check all the vents. I had a tenant and black mood appeared on the ceiling and walls in the bedroom. Vents blocked with socks. They did not open one window in the 4years they were there. Hinges frozen solid. No heating put on at all. Gas bill was just over the standing charge and a bit for cooking. Found out when I put gas in my name.
    When they left I went into the attic and found a rip in the felt at the chimney. they had put cardboard down to soak up the damage in the attic.
    We never had mould when we lived there.
    You can buy a 60euro dehumidifier but may cost you in electricity. Just check the rating. I got one for my mum and it is put in as it has a washing setting. Clothes dry in half the time. Will check the name. Very little change on the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Dehumidifier
    The one I bought on Amazon was eco air dd122fw-mk5. It is on sale today for £169.20. Hardly any effect on electric and there is a high damp setting, washing clothes setting and works in very low temperatures. Got this as the house is in Clare and can get very cold in those parts of the country. You can really smelll the difference in the house. Mum had a leak and the damp was there for a while before she moved in. Leak fixed and damp smell now gone with the help of the dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheEyeonyrBack

molly.007 wrote: »
    Thank you kindly for your advice I will try the tree tea oil

No worries, I have mould in my bathroom and managed to get rid of it in the last two years with this simple receipe:
    https://www.mouldinhomes.com/removing-mould-with-tea-tree-oil/

Let me know if you fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mould is usually caused by lack of ventilation /blocked vents and drying clothes inside. A dehumidifier might solve the problem.

Giving up a home is pretty drastic imo.

molly.007 wrote: »
    sick of getting on to the council they send someone out but never follow up they promise the moon and the stars but nothing is ever done have all the photos and dates but it seems it’s falling on deaf ears every time I speak to someone in the council

Long post ahead, but my story with the council went from 'we'll call you back' for nearly two years, to my problems being solved overnight. Might be of use to you, if you have indeed been calling them constantly.

Pretty much I had an issue with my local council. It wasn't house-related, but it did involve the housing section within the Council.

Like yourself, i rang frequently and rarely got anywhere other than reception. I was always told I'd get a call back or my message would be sent onto the relevant person.

After about 18-20 months of this ferry-go-round, i got annoyed. I'm pally with the local newspapers as i used to work with them.

I rang the Council again. I asked again could I speak to X person, was told the usual spiel that they weren't available and i could leave my number to get a call back. Which I did.

However, whilst on the call to reception, i asked could I get a copy of the call log posted out to me, as I reckon i've called about 80+ times and never had a reply. I told them I worked on and off with the local papers and I felt there was a good story in this, and it'd be worth exploring.

This call was about 11am in the morning, the receptionist said she can get a call log sent to me, yes, but can I wait until about 2pm and call back then, and she'd get my address and have it ready to be sent out to me. I agreed.

At about 12.30 I got a call from the Council, a lady who said she was the manager over customer services and asked would I be available the following day, as they wanted to send out the head of housing and an engineer to deal with my problem. (there are two 'heads of housing' whose actual title's i cant recall off the top my head, but it was one of them they wanted to send out).

Naturally, I agreed. The next morning, at 9.30am I had a knock on the door from two council officials to talk about a problem i had. This was a thursday morning. The following day (friday morning) I had workmen in my street fixing the issue.

That story is the kind of story I wouldn't believe if it didn't happen to me, personally. So my advice to you, would be to ask the Council for the call logs. Once they see you asking for that, they might take more notice of you, as they will realise they have to put down in black and white that you've been contacting them, and they've been ignoring you.

A shocking but all too common saga.

Long post ahead, but my story with the council went from 'we'll call you back' for nearly two years, to my problems being solved overnight. Might be of use to you, if you have indeed been calling them constantly.

Pretty much I had an issue with my local council. It wasn't house-related, but it did involve the housing section within the Council.

Like yourself, i rang frequently and rarely got anywhere other than reception. I was always told I'd get a call back or my message would be sent onto the relevant person.

After about 18-20 months of this ferry-go-round, i got annoyed. I'm pally with the local newspapers as i used to work with them.

I rang the Council again. I asked again could I speak to X person, was told the usual spiel that they weren't available and i could leave my number to get a call back. Which I did.

However, whilst on the call to reception, i asked could I get a copy of the call log posted out to me, as I reckon i've called about 80+ times and never had a reply. I told them I worked on and off with the local papers and I felt there was a good story in this, and it'd be worth exploring.

This call was about 11am in the morning, the receptionist said she can get a call log sent to me, yes, but can I wait until about 2pm and call back then, and she'd get my address and have it ready to be sent out to me. I agreed.

At about 12.30 I got a call from the Council, a lady who said she was the manager over customer services and asked would I be available the following day, as they wanted to send out the head of housing and an engineer to deal with my problem. (there are two 'heads of housing' whose actual title's i cant recall off the top my head, but it was one of them they wanted to send out).

Naturally, I agreed. The next morning, at 9.30am I had a knock on the door from two council officials to talk about a problem i had. This was a thursday morning. The following day (friday morning) I had workmen in my street fixing the issue.

That story is the kind of story I wouldn't believe if it didn't happen to me, personally. So my advice to you, would be to ask the Council for the call logs. Once they see you asking for that, they might take more notice of you, as they will realise they have to put down in black and white that you've been contacting them, and they've been ignoring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Leaks can contribute to moisture in house. They need to be fixed.

External leaking gutters/down pipes can cause ingress dampness. Homes are becoming more and more air tight and can lead to excessive moisture. No point putting a vent in if there is no cross ventilation.

OP do you like 99% of us in Ireland dry clothes on radiators?

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Leaks can contribute to moisture in house. They need to be fixed.

External leaking gutters/down pipes can cause ingress dampness. Homes are becoming more and more air tight and can lead to excessive moisture. No point putting a vent in if there is no cross ventilation.

OP do you like 99% of us in Ireland dry clothes on radiators?

I am of the 1% percent; I have no radiators.

This is the first place I have not had damp; my home is a " demountable dwelling" made of aluminium and totally dry. I am in and out all day so the air circulates. I dry clothes outside as much as I can, or round the stove.

Here it is the constant air through the door that is the secret.

Advertisement