Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETB

• 22-11-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What are the Education and Training Boards and how do they relate to the DoES?

Sorry, I know I could research - but perhaps someone can just give me a concise lazy man’s answer!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

State owned boards of education - used to be called Vocational Education Committees.

They supply teachers to some State owned second level schools, some primary schools, some Third level colleges, prisons, Youthreach, literacy centres, outdoor education centres and a range of other educational places.

The VEC/ETB schools and staff were innovators in PLC courses and Further Education Colleges. ETB schools are not owned by religious orders.

I'm sure others will add more.

https://www.education.ie/en/The-Education-System/Post-Primary/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_and_Training_Board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

There used be a traditional truism amongst teachers that voluntary ( religious ran) secondary schools were far better places to work than these ETBs .That seems to have flipped in the last decade with word of more 'openness and transparency' in them especially with regard to appointments and promotions .Is the ETB online application / website actually meant to discourage people from applying / be a trial by fire ?! ( Practically looking for details of your teenage Summer jobs etc ?!) And then the money shenanigans in KWETB emerged on RT...So what's current state of play ? Is it dependent on the individual school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

ETBs are the Goldenest of Golden Circles!
    We recently had a teacher who worked in a voluintary secondary school last year and received her salary within a few weeks after sendng in her Teaching Council Number and Vetting.
    The same teacher joined an ETB this year and had gone from first week of Sept to mid term WITHOUT PAY and yet had sent in the same info as last year.......but they came back asking for more (tactical delay) ....yet same have no problem throwing out EXPENSES to their Golden Circle friends who sit on interview panels yet the young teacher is ignored!

Advertisement