Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuters! Flat bar or drops?

Options
  • 22-11-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey guys just wondering what sorta distance are you doing for a commute and what's the weapon of choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

zonular wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering what sorta distance are you doing for a commute and what's the weapon of choice?

30km each way , using drops and mtb cleats and pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

25k Road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

15km one way, about 11km return, 40kg flat-bar bakfiets cargo bike, which isn't ideal, I have to say, but I have to drop the kids off to school on my way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

16km each way. Road bike. Genuinely can't remember the last time I even used a flat bar bike. I'd probably wobble and fall off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

15k each way, flat bar, belt drive, alfine 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

13km each way road bike. Much more options for hand positions / comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

droidus wrote: »
    15k each way, flat bar, belt drive, alfine 8.

Snap, same as but shorter distance. Just under 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

6k each way. Often "getting lost" on the way back so it might be as well 30k return. Drop bars + MTB SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

15k each way, flat bars with ergo hand grips that have mini extensions.
    Touring pedals -MTB SPD & flat on the flip side.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

gman2k wrote: »
    15k each way, flat bars with ergo hand grips that have mini extensions.
    Touring pedals -MTB SPD & flat on the flip side.

How to do find the mini extensions?

• Advertisement

Spose I should check in my self, I've cycled swords to city centre on everything fixie, BMX (not to be recommended apart from the weight loss) to 90's MTB and a now stolen gravel bike.

On a Halfords hybrid which is ok, but eying either a new gravel bike or flat bar road bike with discs.

Hydro brakes I'm a total convert

SPD for years but switch to MTB flats recently and they are great too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my main issue regarding commuting (two or three times a week, 20km each way, road bike with drop bars, SPDs) is that i've disc brakes, and in the wet, the crud thrown up from the road contaminates the rear pads in no time. i have a full length mudguard on the front, comes to within two or three inches of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Changed my cheap Halford's Carrera Zelos over to flats, so use that sometimes.

If I need to carry anything then the Cube Touring E-Bike with butterfly bars.

Like this..

Butterfly-Trekking-Handlebar-for-Bicycle-Touring-1000x603.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

11KM each way on drops, albeit on a CX bike so the riding position is a bit higher than a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have drops but positioned quite high at the front so comfortable for commuting. Most of the time my hands stay on top of the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

zonular wrote: »

I have a flat bar Frankenbike.
    Early this year, I put a pair of Lifeline Handlebars grips with mini extensions on it.
    They are great. They give another hand position, and are very comfortable on the palms. I think Lifeline is a Wiggle or CRC brand.
    There are other far more expensive brands out there.
    Since I got them, I've done a couple of 60-70 kilometre spins on them, no discomfort on hands or arms.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-ergonomic-handlebar-grips/rp-prod155625

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

20km each way, 29" HT MTB, SPDs, disc brakes.

Tried all combinations but the above is the most comfortable and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

2-4 km + bus Brompton S

I've gotten used to being lazy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

7.5km each way, flat bar. City traffic, stop start. Drop bars scare me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Depends on the route and amount of traffic. If you are going to need to be constantly ready to brake, flat bar is probably best. If you have good long stretches of open road, drops might be better.

I used a flat-bar Cannondale with bar-ends for a good few years on my 5k commute after getting neck pain from being on the brake hoods on my previous drop-bar bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

22k each way on a CX bike with drops, disc brakes and regular pedals dunno how guys can clip in in traffic!! I did it for 18 months on a Hybrid with flats and could never go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I use mtb style SPDs and have no issue commuting in them. The road bike style SPD-SLs/Keos are a pain in the hole.

Always an annoying decision coming up behind someone with them at traffic lights as I know they'll overtake me once they get going but it'll be a good 30s or so before they manage to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

zonular wrote:

Nice to have an extra position to move to. Wouldn't mind ones slightly bigger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stark wrote: »
    I use mtb style SPDs and have no issue commuting in them. The road bike style SPD-SLs/Keos are a pain in the hole.

I switched from the road style to MTB style and best decision ever. Small things like walking from locker room at work to bike shed is so much more comfortable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

20k each way, old track bike, now a fixie, drop bars. SPD-SL's, tried SPD's and found them harder to clip in and out of, couldn't get on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

125km round trip on a Friday, drops and mtb spds.

Tis a "adventure" bike with kinda relaxed geo so easy enough to look about in traffic.

28c @ 75psi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

KevRossi wrote: »
    Changed my cheap Halford's Carrera Zelos over to flats, so use that sometimes.

If I need to carry anything then the Cube Touring E-Bike with butterfly bars.

Like this..

Butterfly-Trekking-Handlebar-for-Bicycle-Touring-1000x603.jpg

Thats seriously fugly

Oh and, 8km e/w on a road bike with disc brakes, croozer trailer attached for the first 1km, parked at creche and picked up on my commute home.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Thats seriously fugly

Oh and, 8km e/w on a road bike with disc brakes, croozer trailer attached for the first 1km, parked at creche and picked up on my commute home.

Is it wrong I sorta like em, pulling that string brought round to velo orange crazy bars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

15km each way on drops, spd-sl (mountain bike cleats) and discs.

I was an adamant flat bar rider for a long time. I had my hybrid stolen maybe 7 years ago and bought a drop bar single speed and saw the light. In my mind, it's all the benefit of the flat bar with the added comfort factor of being able to shift your hand position whenever you feel like it.

The drops have added benefit commuting through towns/cities with traffic as your bike isn't as wide. Which can be handy when filtering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

50KM daily roundtrip on flatbars with small stubby bar ends. Find the flatbar a more comfortable riding position for commuting and better control around the city. If I was doing long trips for leisure on weekends I'd probably have drops but I don't so no need.

Also SPD's and discs. I don't find the problem a previous poster mentioned about discs in the wet, I find their performance great in the wet.

Advertisement