Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuters! Flat bar or drops?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

After the ride home tonight, discs all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭downtheroad

my main issue regarding commuting (two or three times a week, 20km each way, road bike with drop bars, SPDs) is that i've disc brakes, and in the wet, the crud thrown up from the road contaminates the rear pads in no time. i have a full length mudguard on the front, comes to within two or three inches of the road.

Is that why my recently serviced rear disk brake isnt working properly since last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

As far as I remember Lidl had disc brake spray cleaner couple of weeks ago, worth looking out for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is that why my recently serviced rear disk brake isnt working properly since last week?
    depends on how it's not working!
    i cross over the east link on the way home - not that it might be any grubbier underfoot than any other route through the city centre, but it's what i ascribe my back brake performance to; partly because my front brake does not seem to suffer nearly as much, and partly because cycling in the wet on country roads also does not seem to have the same effect on the rear brake.
    it's usually fine after my normal cleaning routine (i leave the pads sitting in boiling water for five minutes, hit them with a heat gun, and a minor rub with some fine sandpaper (but not necessarily in that order)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭downtheroad

depends on how it's not working!

If I'm not on the bike the brake works fine for the rear wheel but when I'm cycling it just does not seem to be braking, the mechanism is moving but the wheel isn't locking. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Cable or hydraulic? Mine are cable and I have my rear adjusted so that its harder to lock up but still can if pulled all the way. There are two adjusters at the caliper on mine as only one side moves and I get them as close as possible to the disk and then back each out slightly. There will always be a tiny amount of rubbing but once its not consistent I'm happy to live with it. It's also worth making sure the wheel to properly centered as is the caliper as a few mm off can have a great affect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If I'm not on the bike the brake works fine for the rear wheel but when I'm cycling it just does not seem to be braking, the mechanism is moving but the wheel isn't locking. Any ideas?

well, if you're pulling the brake with the bike stationary and the rear wheel elevated, it doesn't take much braking at all to stop the back wheel. if you're on the bike and moving, you're asking the brake to stop anywhere between 60kg and 110kg, instead of its own weight (probably about 1kg).
    does it squeal in the wet? it could be contaminated. are you handy enough to take the back wheel off and take the pads out to look at them?

Advertisement