Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forget broadband

• 23-11-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

Forget about broadband - I haven't even got a mobile phone signal. There should be no mobile black spots in the country before broadband has been started.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Forget about broadband - I haven't even got a mobile phone signal. There should be no mobile black spots in the country before broadband has been started.

Youd have communication back with broadband.

I gather you know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

listermint wrote: »
    Youd have communication back with broadband.

I gather you know this.

I have internet via satellite costing €45 per month so I can use Skype and what's app. However, I really need a mobile signal - I'm 73 and live alone. If I fall or have a medical emergency a mobile signal is really essential.

My nearest neighbours are over 1 km away so no calling them and they don't have a mobile signal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have internet via satellite costing €45 per month so I can use Skype and what's app. However, I really need a mobile signal - I'm 73 and live alone. If I fall or have a medical emergency a mobile signal is really essential.

My nearest neighbours are over 1 km away so no calling them and they don't have a mobile signal either.

You can call them on WhatsApp and VoIP allows you to call anyone including the emergency services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Eir are legally obliged to provide you a landline, they may do it over a radio link if you are remote but it would be something else you could use in an emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Is there a mobile signal outside your house?

• Advertisement

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Is there a mobile signal outside your house?
    No no signal. I on Vodafone which seems to be the best operator in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even Finland, the home of Nokia and world leader in mobile tech, has black spots in the hinterlands. We have nearly all the pop covered but circa 95% geographic coverage. This is the nature of things, the last couple percent are massively expensive to service as they require cells in places that are very hard to reach with mains electricity and service vans.

OP you probably live in a small depression in a very rural area or a valley in Wicklow. Not many other spots are totally black. If I lived in the Sahara I wouldnt expect snow each Christmas.

ED E wrote: »
    Even Finland, the home of Nokia and world leader in mobile tech, has black spots in the hinterlands. We have nearly all the pop covered but circa 95% geographic coverage. This is the nature of things, the last couple percent are massively expensive to service as they require cells in places that are very hard to reach with mains electricity and service vans.

OP you probably live in a small depression in a very rural area or a valley in Wicklow. Not many other spots are totally black. If I lived in the Sahara I wouldnt expect snow each Christmas.
    No, the forgotten county - Donegal; and north Donegal at that. Now, if there were to be a serious car accident there is no way of calling an ambulance or AGS.

Advertisement