Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coombe experience

Options
  • 23-11-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

What's peoples experience of the Coombe emergency room?

I was referred there by my GP on Thursday and honestly so upset since. After you check in at admissions you're told to "knock on the door" of the emergency room to let them know you're there. Was shouted at by an abrupt midwife for doing that. She didn't take my name and I had no idea for hours whether they knew I was even waiting. After 5 hours when I finally was seen I honestly felt like a piece of meat on the trolley being told to strip with the curtain left open and being poked and prodded which was very painful and then made feel like I completely wasted their time by being there and told to leave. All rushed in less than 5 minutes and I'm still feeling pain with no real answer, just a "we'll call you if results come back with anything".

I didn't want to be there, I went to my GP to check out if my post c section pain was normal to feel worse weeks later and was told I had to go in. I didn't want to take up their time. I'm guessing they must be understaffed like all health service but giving patients some dignity is a small ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

That's not been my experience of it at all and I was there for hours as I was waiting on blood tests so I could see how they were treating other patients too, which was with dignity and patience. This was pretty recently.

That sounds horrible, I would definitely complain

http://www.coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=24

Hope you are feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

I was sent by my GP for a gynae issue a few weeks ago & I would agree that it seems a bit haphazard - queue for admissions was all over the place, no idea who was next, and no one really saying what you need to do, have to pay close attention to the signs!

I knocked on door to hand them my file and urine sample & the midwife did seem quite flustered but was fine. I was brought in a while later to see a midwife who got more info and sent me for bloods, then brought into a cubicle to undress & be examined. Curtain wasn't properly closed but cubicle was at end of the room so it wasn't as if anyone else would be passing so i wasn't bothered. The doc who examined me was very nice and I was out with prescription in a few hours. Also there were a few other people there while I was, including one couple who seemed to be getting bad news, and they all seemed to be treated well.

I would say that the ED isn't normally situated there, so I think they're a bit disorganised during the renovations. It is normally inside the front entrance where you go to register for maternity appointments, it seems a few things are moved around and possibly not running at their best capacity.

I would certainly complain if I were you and felt that way after being in there.

Hope it has improved.

Advertisement