Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quote for kitchen extension

Options
  • 23-11-2019 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am attaching a quote for our kitchen extension and re design of existing space with inclusion of a wc.
    It's from a company that do all work except painting and decorating. It seems high to me but I've only had quotes for a basic build.there is 6k included for patio and 12k for kitchen.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks. I can put up drawing if needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

75k for 15m2 extension sounds expensive to me for that size.
    Chickus wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am attaching a quote for our kitchen extension and re design of existing space with inclusion of a wc.
    It's from a company that do all work except painting and decorating. It seems high to me but I've only had quotes for a basic build.there is 6k included for patio and 12k for kitchen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Only way to know is get alternative quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Thanks. We are finding it very difficult to get builders out to quote. They either aren't taking on new jobs til after next summer or aren't replying to phone calls. I dunno.🀷*♀️ I have had one other guy out but price seems much lower-less detail included in price. The search continues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

that does seem very high .What area are you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi,

Thats bananas to be fair. Even take the patio and kitchen out at 18k they are looking for 57k for 15sqm??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi,

Outrageous.

And of course it perfectly rounded to 75k.

Joke.

scwazrh wrote: »
    that does seem very high .What area are you in.

Thanks for that, we are in Dublin 12

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We've just had a vat inclusive quote for 9sqm of 25k...

Now that excludes flooring but still.. no idea how they got to 75k before VAT.

North County Dublin based.

Thats bananas to be fair. Even take the patio and kitchen out at 18k they are looking for 57k for 15sqm??

Yeah we were thinking this. Such a small extension and even with reno of existing kitchen area it seems v high. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

You'd get a kitchen for €6k plus appliances. That's what I paid for mine and it's a bigger kitchen than yours.

Shop around for other quotes or hold off for a while to see if prices settle down. You could also consider doing the job by direct labour, i.e. hire in the separate trades yourself and eliminate the builder and his profit. Or perhaps do some of the work yourself? I got quotes of €14,000-€19,000 to renovate the old attic conversion in the house I bought. So I did it myself for just €2,300 on materials (timber, solid insulation panels, plasterboard, plaster, paint and flooring).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, we are in Dublin 12

That’s high even for Dublin at the moment .Most builders don’t need the work so are throwing big figures out to see if anyone bites.

A Realistic price for the build would be around €50k.thats allowing €30k for build , €10 for structural work to existing house , prelims and vat would bring it to €50k .Patio & kitchen would be additional to that price .

scwazrh wrote: »
    That’s high even for Dublin at the moment .Most builders don’t need the work so are throwing big figures out to see if anyone bites.

A Realistic price for the build would be around €50k.thats allowing €30k for build , €10 for structural work to existing house , prelims and vat would bring it to €50k .Patio & kitchen would be additional to that price .

Jeez, thanks for that. Price for attic was around 30-35k incl adding dormer in and raising gable end. This was way above a previous guesstimate we had gotten.

Jeez, thanks for that. Price for attic was around 30-35k incl adding dormer in and raising gable end. This was way above a previous guesstimate we had gotten.

What’s the details of the attic conversion ? €30k could be a fair price if there is substantial changes

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Im particularly interested in this as we had just completed an extension ourselves.

Ours was demo work and rebuilding 60M2 extension - price was 80K inc VAT but not inc. kitchen, doors or windows (an extra 24K)

I actually think we paid a heafty fee compared to a couple of years ago however I was willing to do it given a number of factors (time to start date & quality of builder)

Unless there's something glaring I'm missing (plumbing, rewire, demo work and ability to dispose of waste) this does seem far too much.

A couple of things I noted at 2AM :) :
    - 75K doesn't inc. VAT - so actually cost to you is 85K.
    - Everything is included (expect painting and decorating) however your architect doesn't specify how much to allow for cost of tiles , WC etc. This will cause arguments so be sure to agree this before you start. I've not much experience with architects but I think these plans are lacking in detail.

As it would seem there is little structural work expect 1 piece of steel , if you are familiar with construction or have a friend that is; consider managing this build yourself and bringing trades as you need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Received a quote in Co. Cork for a 20 sqm single storey flat roof extension to rear of property. 65k inc. vat.

Price includes a regular sliding door, 3 windows, and 2 large rooflights (2k each).

Price excludes floors, kitchen, painting, landscaping etc.

No structural steel required as we are using the openings for the previous patio door and kitchen window to connect the extension to the existing ground floor.

Seems incredibly expensive to me based on per sqm figures ive seen mentioned around.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Received a quote in Co. Cork for a 20 sqm single storey flat roof extension to rear of property. 65k inc. vat.

Price includes a regular sliding door, 3 windows, and 2 large rooflights (2k each).

Price excludes floors, kitchen, painting, landscaping etc.

No structural steel required as we are using the openings for the previous patio door and kitchen window to connect the extension to the existing ground floor.

Seems incredibly expensive to me based on per sqm figures ive seen mentioned around.

Ffs. Eye watering.

Ffs. Eye watering.

The boom is back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesus I'm moving to the city.
    I'm involved in building design side in the West and some of these prices are nuts really.
    I can see that everything will be a little more in the city but Jesus there is still someone making silly money with some of these prices.
    When you consider the simplicity of some of these flat roofed extensions, it's mind boggling.

mickdw wrote: »
    Jesus I'm moving to the city.
    I'm involved in building design side in the West and some of these prices are nuts really.
    I can see that everything will be a little more in the city but Jesus there is still someone making silly money with some of these prices.
    When you consider the simplicity of some of these flat roofed extensions, it's mind boggling.

15 grand for the groundworks and substructure alone :eek: Its a flat site with 1.5m side gate access.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    The boom is back :rolleyes:

Not for me anyway.....

In the wrong game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement