Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when are black Friday sales on in city usually?

Options
  • 23-11-2019 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Would they be on all next weekend or just on the Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

seefin wrote: »
    Would they be on all next weekend or just on the Friday?

Usually on for a week or weekend, depends on the shop and how engaged they are in the whole craze. The big out of town electrical retailers for example have their black Friday sales going already.

I think it's daft to be honest and it puts pressure on smaller retailers to discount
    when they are already trying to compete against the bigger retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Do we really need the Black Friday thing? Outside the U.S. it’s a makey-uppy day without any basis. They have it over there because most people have a day off, and many have either travelled to spend the previous day with parents/in-laws/family or are themselves hosting visitors. Come Friday morning, everyone is desperately looking for an excuse to get out of the house and away from said parents/in-laws/family. “Let’s go shopping!” It’s like what we do on St. Stephen’s Day and it makes perfect sense...over there. But over here, it is just a normal Friday after a normal Thursday. The retail sector has essentially come up with a BS non-reason for us to “save money” and we’ve all obediently jumped aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

cantalach wrote: »
    Do we really need the Black Friday thing? Outside the U.S. it’s a makey-uppy day without any basis. They have it over there because most people have a day off, and many have either travelled to spend the previous day with parents/in-laws/family or are themselves hosting visitors. Come Friday morning, everyone is desperately looking for an excuse to get out of the house and away from said parents/in-laws/family. “Let’s go shopping!” It’s like what we do on St. Stephen’s Day and it makes perfect sense...over there. But over here, it is just a normal Friday after a normal Thursday. The retail sector has essentially come up with a BS non-reason for us to “save money” and we’ve all obediently jumped aboard.

What fools we are availing of lower prices this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

What fools we are availing of lower prices this side of Christmas.

Yeah, I hear you. But that's why I put quotes around "save money". For some people, a sale is an opportunity to pay less money for something they intended to buy anyway. Maybe the OP falls into this category. Fair enough. But the people who know about these things tell us that most purchases during sales do not fall into this category. Most purchases are just crap we wouldn't have otherwise bought (those runners are a bit dodgy but sure they were a great deal and I might wear them if Barry hosts an 80s party again next summer, that cheap Bluetooth speaker has sh1tty sound but sure it was €30 and I might take it to the beach if we get a sunny day, etc.). Sales don't really save us money.

Advertisement