Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from accommodation forum

Options
  • 23-11-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭

I have been banned in what I feel is a very unfair way by a mod, could you please look into this.

PMs exchanges:

Dear Dav010,

You have been banned from Accommodation & Property for three days for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

L1011

Moderator Note

Bans increment. Next is a week.

Your post:Quote: Dav010
    Quote: L1011

Ahem. Should be cards flying like that old Royal Mail Christmas ad now, and there will be if the immigration stuff continues.

I don’t wish to challenge a mod, particularly one as easily offended as your good self. But leaving aside the “foreigners” reference, which I totally agree should have no place in this discussion. An increase in population, including the majority of Irish emigrants returning home after having to leave during the recession is having an effect on housing. The CSO graph posted earlier shows net immigration. It was announced last week that the employment rate is now the highest in he history of the State. It would therefore be foolish to think that increased population, employment and a static build rate is not effecting the housing stock in Galway in some way.

Discussing a housing shortage while ignoring one of the main reasons for increased demand does not make sense. The response to the ops question is multi factorial including build costs, planning issues, services, roads, etc etc etc.

——————————————————————
    BACK
    Dav010
    To: L1011
    Date: 23/11/2019 | 13:38
    Ya I figured you would do that even though population increase is mentioned in every discussion about demand for housing.

Look, I know you are wrong by banning me for what is a key factor in answering the ops question, it’s an appalling abuse of your mod powers, but very much in keeping with your form on boards.

I will of course be taking it to dispute forum.

——————————————————————-

BACK
    L1011
    Date: 23/11/2019 | 13:40
    You disobeyed a moderation instruction twice. Your last action lead to a one day ban, so three is the normal escalation

Your next will be a week. You can of course avoid this by obeying mod instructions

——————————————————————

BACK
    Dav010
    To: L1011
    Date: 23/11/2019 | 15:09
    You were the only one getting excited, how any discussion about lack of available housing would not, or in your opinion should not include the acknowledgment that an increase in the population is playing a part, would be beyond belief to most people.

You are trigger happy, as well as being ill informed. The posts were not xenophobic, immigration into Ireland is primarily Irish people returning home. Why would that be an issue for you?

——————————————————————-

BACK
    L1011
    Date: 23/11/2019 | 15:26
    Take this to your DRP thread. I'm not overturning it

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/home-garden/housing-bottleneck-will-worsen-as-population-growth-speeds-up-37042110.html

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/irish/soaring-population-to-ramp-up-housing-pressure-in-capital-37996296.html

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/housing-census-3348618-Apr2017/?amp=1

http://www.housingagency.ie/data-hub/population-households

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Any update on this CMods?

Have all the mods left as well?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for the delay, but I've notified the relevant CMods. Hopefully one will be along before too long

I appreciate your ban has now expired, but we can still make a note on your account should the ban be overturned

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay, but I've notified the relevant CMods. Hopefully one will be along before too long

I appreciate your ban has now expired, but we can still make a note on your account should the ban be overturned

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hi dav i will pick this up thanks for your patience.

i see you have posted the PMs already which is great so bear with me while i look at the posts, possibly discuss with mods, etc.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    hi dav i will pick this up thanks for your patience.

i see you have posted the PMs already which is great so bear with me while i look at the posts, possibly discuss with mods, etc.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hi dav,
    there was a moderator instruction on thread in bold.
    you quoted it and argued with it.
    this is a very clear breach of charter and not allowed across boards as a whole.

in terms of the ban itself, it was an escalation of exactly the same issue which has happened twice before if not more.
    in july you received a yellow for the same thing, which actually said 'you've been warned before'.
    the next day you received a ban for the same issue.

you are now back here again for arguing with a mod on thread.
    the reason why you were arguing is entirely beside the point. the way to deal with an issue you have with a mod warning is to pm the mod, the mod team, or failing that, a cmod.

i really recommend you learn from this and try PMing next time you disagree with a mod instruction. as i said, if you don't get anywhere in direct PM with the mod, then try another mod etc.

i am therefore upholding the ban.
    please let me know if you would like an admin review.

I would like to escalate this.

Please refer to the “Rent” thread. The third post refers to “immigration”, not only did the mod in question ignore it, L1011 replied to it. How can a poster be banned for a subject of a post while a mod ignores and responds to it?

We are not talking about a controversial issue when posting about Irish people returning from abroad. The fact that L1011 issues a ban, while ignoring similar comments on other threads shows clear bias.

While I respect mods, mods should also respect posters, banning a boards member for discussion about Irish emigrants returning home displays a highened degree of ignorance which hardly encourages people to engage in the Boards forum.

What is Boards if not a forum for discussion? Give a mod like L1011 a mandate to ban moderate discussion, then where does Boards stand?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will look at this again for you.

Please bear with me.

I will look at this again for you.

Please bear with me.

Thank you.

Though I understand the point, and censure for disobeying a mod, there must be room to disagree with their viewpoint on the topic being discussed, rather than their capabilities as a mod.

Population growth in Ireland and the services we need is an important consideration when discussing housing, schools, GP access etc. If L1011 cannot understand an important strand of that conversation, should he/she be a mod? Why shut it down and ban someone for raising a valid, non controversial point on one thread, while a couple of days later L1011 replies to a post on the exact same topic in another thread?

L1101 has stated loftily, accommodation is a “serious” thread for “serious” conversation, yet when discussing a serious contributing factor to pressure on housing, it gets shut down and a ban ensues when a poster points out the importance of increase in population.

I honestly don’t see the logic in this, posters are punished for L1011’s inability to understand the subject matter.

• Advertisement

Any update on this?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As I said, please bear with me. I will try and come back with a decision on this today.

As I said, please bear with me. I will try and come back with a decision on this today.

Thank you.

From this morning’s independent, article about ex-pats finding it difficult to buy/rent houses when they return home due to lack of supply/cost.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/expats-rank-dublin-as-worst-city-in-the-world-to-find-home-38752353.html

Dav, I had some difficulty understanding the course of your history in A&P that has resulted in this most recent ban of 3 days.

I am looking into this a bit more than I anticipated and it's therefore taking more time than I initially appreciated.

Please give me another day or two.

Also just to note that the question here is whether or not the sanction was correctly applied rather than whether the content of your post was correct, imo.

Dav, I had some difficulty understanding the course of your history in A&P that has resulted in this most recent ban of 3 days.

I am looking into this a bit more than I anticipated and it's therefore taking more time than I initially appreciated.

Please give me another day or two.

Also just to note that the question here is whether or not the sanction was correctly applied rather than whether the content of your post was correct, imo.

For some reason L1011 took umbrage to posters discussing the increase in population which has occurred over the last few years and its effect on available housing for sale. Whether he thought there was xenophobic tone or not, I’m not sure, but I was clear as you can see from the PM in my first post on this thread, that I was referring to immigration relating to Irish people returning home.

I have had equal difficulty understanding how I ended up with a ban, particularly as the same mod, L1101 replied to a similar post on the “Rent” thread, without sanction. As indeed have other mods.

I feel this is a case of a mod being vindictive, or, more likely L1101 does not understand the forum he is charge of moderating. Perhaps he would be more suited to a forum where less knowledge/understanding of economics, market forces, populations etc are required.

I appreciate that you feel strongly here but I would ask that you do not make personal digs in the course of your appeal for the sake of decency.

I appreciate that you feel strongly here but I would ask that you do not make personal digs in the course of your appeal for the sake of decency.

Goes to context.

Hi Dav010, I have reviewed this and your history in A&P, necessitated by the fact that this was stated to be an incremental ban arising from previous issues on the forum.

I have reversed a yellow card received on 10 July and I am also reversing the ban the following day 11 July and replacing that ban with a yellow card warning. Your recent 3 day ban, which has already expired, is also reversed as it was in my view an unenforceable instruction given the validity of the question of immigration on supply/demand of accommodation irrespective of the race, nationality or creed of the immigrants.

As such, there is just the one warning in A&P now for your inappropriate response to a mod instruction on 11 July 2019, as per the PM you will have received from me.

Due to software limitations, the bans are still recorded but if anything turns on that, you can direct to this post. The alternative is to attach a profile yellow card to your account recording the overturning of the bans. You might let me know which you prefer.

Thank you very much for considering my appeal, and for explaining your thinking on this, I appreciate it very much.

Dav010.

Would you prefer to have this thread as the record of the result here or to have a profile warning applied to your account for the purposes of recording it?

• Advertisement

Would you prefer to have this thread as the record of the result here or to have a profile warning applied to your account for the purposes of recording it?

Please delete this thread. Thanks

Advertisement