Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heard of this text scam?

Options
  • 23-11-2019 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

There's apparently a scam going around at the moment reporting to be from Boot's pharmacy. It tells you you've won a second place prize and to click on a link, and then after that you enter your email and phone number. You will then get a text back that reads something like "congratulations, you are involved in blah blah, if you wish to leave please send the following message (as instructed)" and once you send that message (as instructed) you will be charged circa €10.

So my question is, how do they 'get' this money unless it's an actual phone company that's running the scam? And if it's that easy, why can't they just charge €100 for the text? Why only €10. Is it not at all possible to report these numbers to the police in their country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Ha, I won first prize! Second prize is for losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Had it from “Tesco” on my irish mobile... thing is, I live in the States and haven’t been in a Tesco in about three years..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's apparently a scam going around at the moment reporting to be from Boot's pharmacy. It tells you you've won a second place prize and to click on a link, and then after that you enter your email and phone number. You will then get a text back that reads something like "congratulations, you are involved in blah blah, if you wish to leave please send the following message (as instructed)" and once you send that message (as instructed) you will be charged circa €10.

So my question is, how do they 'get' this money unless it's an actual phone company that's running the scam? And if it's that easy, why can't they just charge €100 for the text? Why only €10. Is it not at all possible to report these numbers to the police in their country?

Most people will have €10 credit on a PAYG phone, very few would have €100. Lots of small thefts make a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They get the money via your phone. It's not the phone companies scam but imo they could do more to stop these type of outfits.
    Simple advice is dont click on random links.
    I got the boots one via text message last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

mickdw wrote: »
    Simple advice is dont click on random links.
    Do you mean on your computer or on phone? I don't think there's any harm on clicking on them unless you don't give away your passwords or bank acc numbers.

• Advertisement

Do you mean on your computer or on phone? I don't think there's any harm on clicking on them unless you don't give away your passwords or bank acc numbers.

On any device. People got signed up to subscription scams from clicking links.

Even if they get nothing from you by clicking on the link you have validated the email address, you'll get way more spam.

Del2005 wrote: »
    On any device. People got signed up to subscription scams from clicking links.

Even if they get nothing from you by clicking on the link you have validated the email address, you'll get way more spam.
    Which email address though? Would that be any email address that you're currently signed in with at the time? Most likely the gmail address so?

Which email address though? Would that be any email address that you're currently signed in with at the time? Most likely the gmail address so?

The address in the To line of the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

mickdw wrote: »
    They get the money via your phone. It's not the phone companies scam but imo they could do more to stop these type of outfits.

Not true. These scammers need business agreements with the mobile operator in order to be able to take the money and most of it goes to the mobile companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Del2005 wrote: »
    Most people will have €10 credit on a PAYG phone, very few would have €100. Lots of small thefts make a lot of money.

And if 100s were being taken from lots of people daily, something would get done pretty quick to shut them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What sort of halfwit would fall for this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Nal wrote: »
    What sort of halfwit would fall for this?

Plenty,
    Greed makes people do stupid things

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Topped up €20 on Sunday and generally don’t make calls mostly use WhatsApp.

Just got 8 texts from some gaming company I’ve never signed up to then an alert from Three saint I have less than €2.50 credit remaining.

I’ve no idea wtf just happened. Called three and they’ve blocked the number from my phone but the lady warned me they often switch numbers so watch out next month of it happens again.

The number is 59577 and it seems to be some premium messaging/gaming thing?

Just a heads up be careful

Cabaal wrote: »
    Plenty,
    Greed makes people do stupid things
    In this case it's not greed though, as you'd be texting to opt out!

Topped up €20 on Sunday and generally don’t make calls mostly use WhatsApp.

Just got 8 texts from some gaming company I’ve never signed up to then an alert from Three saint I have less than €2.50 credit remaining.

I’ve no idea wtf just happened. Called three and they’ve blocked the number from my phone but the lady warned me they often switch numbers so watch out next month of it happens again.

The number is 59577 and it seems to be some premium messaging/gaming thing?

Just a heads up be careful
    So they can take money from you just by texting you? Did Three refuse to refund this?
    What is Three saint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What is Three saint?

A typo for saying

So they can take money from you just by texting you? Did Three refuse to refund this?
    What is Three saint?

Sorry. Typo. Meant said.

They can’t refund it but gave me the details of the company. Rang it and voicemail saying hold and be out through to customer service. Waited a while. No luck. Just hung up.
    No idea how they got my number. And only on this number a few months.

Sorry. Typo. Meant said.

They can’t refund it but gave me the details of the company. Rang it and voicemail saying hold and be out through to customer service. Waited a while. No luck. Just hung up.
    No idea how they got my number. And only on this number a few months.
    I don't understand how it could be that easy! If all you have to do is text somebody to get their money, then would do other scams (like the one I mentioned) try to even get you to text back?

Three mightn't be telling everything. Were you ages waiting to talk to a rep when you rang Three!

I don't understand how it could be that easy! If all you have to do is text somebody to get their money, then would do other scams (like the one I mentioned) try to even get you to text back?

Three mightn't be telling everything. Were you ages waiting to talk to a rep when you rang Three!

Ah not at all. The girl was very helpful. Apparently if you go on certain sites with pop ups it can grab your info. I was using a dodgy streaming site to watch a series not available here and it was pop ups galore before I could watch so it was probably that.
    She blocked the number from calling or texting me and I blocked it from my phone too.

Ah not at all. The girl was very helpful. Apparently if you go on certain sites with pop ups it can grab your info. I was using a dodgy streaming site to watch a series not available here and it was pop ups galore before I could watch so it was probably that.
    She blocked the number from calling or texting me and I blocked it from my phone too.
    I get them too, but I haven't given my number to youtube or facebook, so maybe that's why I don't get them?!

• Advertisement

I get them too, but I haven't given my number to youtube or facebook, so maybe that's why I don't get them?!

Me neither. It’s a mystery

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Me neither. It’s a mystery

Did you ask Three to put a premium SMS bar on your account as that's the only way to prevent this happening again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The next one's always the winner....

Quackster wrote: »
    Did you ask Three to put a premium SMS bar on your account as that's the only way to prevent this happening again?

That’s what she did yeah. But she said these companies often change numbers so come at your number from a different one and to keep an eye on it next time I top up.

Here’s the texts I got almost all at once.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That’s what she did yeah. But she said these companies often change numbers so come at your number from a different one and to keep an eye on it next time I top up.

Here’s the texts I got almost all at once.

No, a premium SMS bar blocks all 53xxx and 57xxx numbers so you can never again get caught out. Your network provider has to provide it if you ask them to.

https://community.three.ie/t5/3MadeEasy/Premium-Rate-Services-FAQs/ba-p/759382

Quackster wrote: »
    No, a premium SMS bar blocks all 53xxx and 57xxx numbers so you can never again get caught out. Your network provider has to provide it if you ask them to.

https://community.three.ie/t5/3MadeEasy/Premium-Rate-Services-FAQs/ba-p/759382

Yeah that’s what she did but she just said watch out in case it happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Three aren't innocent in this whole premium SMS issue...

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/107872737

The gist of it is that Three give your number to these companies.

That's a cop out on Three's part, they're either blocking them or they're not.

Wonder how many people are getting scammed and unaware of it.

With the drop in revenue from NGN calls, this premium SMS problem could become more common...Comreg of course will do little to rein them in.
    Make sure it's for all premium numbers, not just the one from the sender of the one you received.

Someone suggested in another thread that under distance selling rules, you should be able to avail of cooling off to get a refund from the premium SMS provider...no idea if that would work.

I think what he might have been saying, was that you wouldn't need to watch out if all kinds of 53xxx and 57xxx numbers were blocked... that any number they would change to would be blocked too.

I think what he might have been saying, was that you wouldn't need to watch out if all kinds of 53xxx and 57xxx numbers were blocked... that any number they would change to would be blocked too.

Hopefully.

Funny enough I rarely use my credit. Use WhatsApp for calls and texts and threes deal is brillaint and there’s no cut off until your month runs out and you top up again.
    I usually let it run out and use the credit to buy internet add ons for a fiver. Then when they run out but a new top up. I’ve always done that.

Maybe thy saw me doing it and as previous poster said nipped it in the bud

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Three aren't innocent in this whole premium SMS issue...
    I suppose we all suspected that deep down.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    The gist of it is that Three give your number to these companies.
    Yeah, but why did they target him? I've had Three sneak 50c off me here and there, but nothing like what happened to this guy!

Advertisement