Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Connell Street: Now with enhanced parking bays

Options
  • 23-11-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Spotted this over on the Sligo Parking at its Finest facebook page.
    I don't think anybody could be too shocked at this; people parking in a bus stop "Ah sure, I'll only be a minute, they won't mind".
    There's really no end to how big of an ar5ehole Sligo drivers can be. They'd be better off pedestrianising the town core.
    78388411_2686135601662420_1814271134464475136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=y8JiSrwCoqsAQkqajIi_dE6U1tKXgCvy8xlEPmGsqdN6js0nvJNyyLSmA&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=dd9720650e8ea5427110374356d1b1f8&oe=5E8C20EB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Is it marked as a Bus Stop yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Spotted this over on the Sligo Parking at its Finest facebook page.
    I don't think anybody could be too shocked at this; people parking in a bus stop "Ah sure, I'll only be a minute, they won't mind".
    There's really no end to how big of an ar5ehole Sligo drivers can be. They'd be better off pedestrianising the town core.

If they did that the same ar5ehole drivers would be bitching about the fact they'd have to walk. They're already complaining about lack of parking and Stephen St. car park when Connaughton road is another 5 mins walk and tonnes of free spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Neither of those cars look to be local.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

An alert traffic warden would sort that issue!

muffler wrote: »
    An alert traffic warden would sort that issue!

What is he issue?

• Advertisement

prodsc wrote: »
    What is he issue?
    This was posted above....
    people parking in a bus stop

That bay is not currently marked as a Bus Stop therefore there is currently no issue with parking there. On ther other hand, the bay(s) on the opposite side of the street are marked as loading bays during certain periods and no parking at all other times as well as some disabled parking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

sligojoek wrote: »
    Neither of those cars look to be local.

It's not uncommon for people from Sligo to drive cars registered to other counties, or from a different country. I've know some locals who have Northern Irish registered cars, like the Merc above, but that's a completely seperate topic.
    That bay is not currently marked as a Bus Stop therefore there is currently no issue with parking there. On ther other hand, the bay(s) on the opposite side of the street are marked as loading bays during certain periods and no parking at all other times as well as some disabled parking!!

Does the red pole outside Johnstons Court not indicate that it's a bus stop? I don't think it has to be indicated by road markings. Even if it was, it doesn't stop people parking in them anyways;Both bus stops on Knappagh road are a perfect example of that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not exclusive to Sligo, you should see what it's like in Dublin. They'd park their car on your granny if they could. The problem is there are no repercussions. They can do this every day and they know that only 1 in 1000 times they do it will they get any bother over it so of course they'll take the chance. Then someone else who wouldn't normally do it sees everyone else getting away with it so they think, 'sure fúck it, I'll do the same'. It has become the norm as opposed to the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Brought some Norwegian relatives recently up to Sligo. They were horrified at the traffic going through the town. We choked on traffic fumes. They didn't want to go back down the next day.

I hear Kilkenny 's air quality is lethal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Chinasea wrote: »
    Brought some Norwegian relatives recently up to Sligo. They were horrified at the traffic going through the town. We choked on traffic fumes. They didn't want to go back down the next day.

Seriously?

Yes.

Whatever you do, dont take them to Dublin :eek:

muffler wrote: »
    Whatever you do, dont take them to Dublin :eek:

We'll they come to Ireland attracted by Board Failte promises of an emerald Isle and they find most towns choked with cars and puzzled locals wondering what the problem is....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

THere's a good possibility some of the fumes the fumes are from Norwegian oil.

The town will stick in its car choked, gray rut,when you have narrow minded, short sighted car crazy cowboys at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

The town will stick in its car choked, gray rut,when you have narrow minded, short sighted car crazy cowboys at the helm.

Having lived in Sligo for 20 years, and having asthma all my life, I’ve gotta say I have never thought of Sligo having an air pollution problem. If anything, being so close to the sea and always seeming to have a breeze, the air is very good. I would agree that O’Connell street is prone to slow moving traffic, but you show me a one way Main Street in a large town that isn’t.

I think you are being a bit precious.

What's your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I have noticed on some Sundays that cars are now parking on the pedestrianized part of the new paving close to source restaurant effectively up on the footpath and the street is a car park on Sunday’s even though there are double yellow lines on both sides. There are no parking charges on Sunday’s so no traffic warden. No enforcement so people take the p..s. I never thought I would say it but they need a traffic warden on a Sunday. Be handy few bob for a few weeks. Just blitz the street for a few Sunday’s and it will be sorted

• Has that bay been designated as a bus parking space? I was there a few days before Christmas and a Garda was having a stern word wth 2 drivers who had parked in the bay, but I ddnt spot any signs.

• Advertisement

Has that bay been designated as a bus parking space? I was there a few days before Christmas and a Garda was having a stern word wth 2 drivers who had parked in the bay, but I ddnt spot any signs.

The bus stop sign was restored early December.

O'Connell Street will be closed from Monday 6th until the end of April to vehicles!

The bus stop sign was restored early December.

O'Connell Street will be closed from Monday 6th until the end of April to vehicles!

With the exception non emergency, a forever prohibition of private cars would be a positive progressive step (literally) forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

With the exception non emergency, a forever prohibition of private cars would be a positive progressive step (literally) forward.

I agree with this sentiment in principal, but the reality is that it's not feasible with the current traffic setup in the town. Wait and see on Monday - traffic will be at a complete standstill on John St, Adelaide St, Temple St. Traffic will back all the way up to Mail Coach Road from Temple St - all because they won't re-sequence the traffic lights for the increased volumes at the Junction of John St & Adelaide St, and Adelaide St & Wine St.

Motorists will be left to just suffer with this without a care in the world from our County Council. It's an absolute disgrace.

I seen in the last day or so they won a national award there in Ireland's tidies urban centre. Cant be that bad of a place :)

Edit....Linky for 2nd place in the catagory

I agree with this sentiment in principal, but the reality is that it's not feasible with the current traffic setup in the town. Wait and see on Monday - traffic will be at a complete standstill on John St, Adelaide St, Temple St. Traffic will back all the way up to Mail Coach Road from Temple St - all because they won't re-sequence the traffic lights for the increased volumes at the Junction of John St & Adelaide St, and Adelaide St & Wine St.

Motorists will be left to just suffer with this without a care in the world from our County Council. It's an absolute disgrace.

A lot of that problem could be fixed if they just rerouted the traffic that would normally be going from temple street to the John street/Churchill junction to either the Caltragh exit or Summerhill roundabout (Which is what the inner relief road was designed for).

Resequencing the lights would be far easier without having to account for that lane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

A lot of that problem could be fixed if they just rerouted the traffic that would normally be going from temple street to the John street/Churchill junction to either the Caltragh exit or Summerhill roundabout (Which is what the inner relief road was designed for).

Resequencing the lights would be far easier without having to account for that lane

That road is a carpark at rush hour, who'd want to go up there if they're going around the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sligoblue wrote: »
    Having lived in Sligo for 20 years, and having asthma all my life, I’ve gotta say I have never thought of Sligo having an air pollution problem. If anything, being so close to the sea and always seeming to have a breeze, the air is very good. I would agree that O’Connell street is prone to slow moving traffic, but you show me a one way Main Street in a large town that isn’t.

I think you are being a bit precious.

I was in Sligo a couple of years ago and had my 1st experience of smog since they banned smoky coal in Dublin. It was a cold winter night and domestic fires were causing it not the traffic

That road is a carpark at rush hour, who'd want to go up there if they're going around the town?

If someone was just going around town then why would they be turning from Temple street on to John street? The quickest route would be to go via Adelaide street.

It would be a trade off as to which ended up with slow moving traffic, the town "core", or the inner relief road - which is supposed to be designed to deal with it.

If the road between Caltragh and Ballydoogan road had been finished for the works, it would have minimised the traffic coming from Strandhill and Finisklin accessing the relief road. Maybe next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Which is what the inner relief road was designed for).

I think design is too strong a word, it was in fact imposed as a substitute for a Western bypass and that is why it's such a monumental feck up.

• Advertisement

• As far as traffic and visitor confusion is concerned, are there worse places in Ireland or does Sligo win that prize?

Advertisement