Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Build - What is this?

• 23-11-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Inspecting my new build today in the rain and saw this odd pattern on the side wall, is is normal?

There's no actual cracks visible but the pattern looks like hairline cracks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.specifile.co.za/news/cement-and-concrete/causes-of-plaster-cracks/

How come path is so green already in a new build?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Thanks I’ll raise with the developer. Haven’t closed yet.

The path was built about 12 months ago, I’ve asked them to power wash before close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

sozbox wrote: »
    Thanks I’ll raise with the developer. Haven’t closed yet.

The path was built about 12 months ago, I’ve asked them to power wash before close

Can lead to problems. Spiderwebbing it's often called. Once painted it's fine but can let moisture in prior to painting which inturn can freeze and damage render further

bfclancy wrote: »
    Can lead to problems. Spiderwebbing it's often called. Once painted it's fine but can let moisture in prior to painting which inturn can freeze and damage render further

Good to know. Should I demand it gets painted before closing?

Good to know. Should I demand it gets painted before closing?
    Demand:D
    In the current climate the developer will just look at next in the queue

• Advertisement

Demand:D
    In the current climate the developer will just look at next in the queue

Would it not be painted anyway as standard, do developers sell houses unpainted, I've never seen it but maybe they do

Would it not be painted anyway as standard, do developers sell houses unpainted, I've never seen it but maybe they do

It comes painted but the foreman mentioned he’d prefer to wait until spring as it’s too cold now.

Not sure if that’s bollox or not.

They are are site for another year finishing the rest of the estate so I’m not worried about them not doing it.

I noticed the spiderwebbing afterwards so haven’t spoken to them about it yet

It comes painted but the foreman mentioned he’d prefer to wait until spring as it’s too cold now.

They are are site for another year finishing the rest of the estate so I’m not worried about them not doing it.

Be fine to paint in spring doubt moisture will impact, they usually recommend painting within 1-2 years at the longest

Be fine to paint in spring doubt moisture will impact, they usually recommend painting within 1-2 years at the longest

So no long term problems if painted?

Ok thanks for the info, it’s really helpful!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There's no actual cracks visible but the pattern looks like hairline cracks?

Render possibly dried out too quickly when it was applied. May have been a hot/sunny day when it was applied? That's usually the reason for that sort of pattern of hairline cracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Le shovelle

Foreman is 100% correct to wait until warmer weather. Be fine when its painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't be overly happy with that cracking. It may be ok but something caused it. It can be down to drying out quickly etc but just make sure it hasn't started to separate from the wall under. I've seen this happen numerous times where the plaster will sound hollow so that is an easy check to do.
    Also the plaster is not straight where it meets the soffit. Poor work on a new build.

mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly happy with that cracking. It may be ok but something caused it. It can be down to drying out quickly etc but just make sure it hasn't started to separate from the wall under. I've seen this happen numerous times where the plaster will sound hollow so that is an easy check to do.
    Also the plaster is not straight where it meets the soffit. Poor work on a new build.

Thanks just checked and it’s not hollow sounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

mickdw wrote: »

Same as Mick here, seen this lead to delamination of the plaster further down the line. I would be trying to negotiate a a clause in the contract that it would be reviewed at 3 and 5 years with the contractor remaining responsible for any defects up to that point.

kieran. wrote: »
    Same as Mick here, seen this is lead to delamination of the plaster further down the line. I would be trying to negotiate a a clause in the contract that it would be reviewed at 3 and 5 years with the contractor remaining responsible for any defects up to that point.

comes with usual ten year structural warranty, would that cover it?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

comes with usual ten year structural warranty, would that cover it?

No. That's not a structural issue in the sense of what's covered in a warrantee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

If the plaster is solid i wouldn't worry about it, theres a multitude of reasons why this would happen and very hard to prevent for a variety of reasons, once its painted it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure they use a good quality paint such as colourtrend or weathershield and itll be a lifetime job

Keep an eye on it in case the cracks get bigger or plaster starts to get hollow before painting

If the plaster is solid i wouldn't worry about it, theres a multitude of reasons why this would happen and very hard to prevent for a variety of reasons, once its painted it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure they use a good quality paint such as colourtrend or weathershield and itll be a lifetime job

Keep an eye on it in case the cracks get bigger or plaster starts to get hollow before painting

Thanks. Getting a variety of opinions here. Not sure if I should be worried or not 😬

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Get that downpipe installed asap

Thanks. Getting a variety of opinions here. Not sure if I should be worried or not ��

Its common enough in sand and cement finishes, it rarely causes any problems other than being unsightly

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Get that downpipe installed asap

Mentioned that alright, being done tomorrow.

Its common enough in sand and cement finishes, it rarely causes any problems other than being unsightly
    In a new build its not acceptable, IMO

Well it can only really happen in a new build or a renovation. Seems a lot more prevalent these days is there some reason for this or have I just been more vigilant as I was doing a self build in the last year and was watching out for stuff

Is there a way to prevent s&c finish cracking ?there are measures a plasterer can take to try and limit it but no sure way of stopping it, s&c finishes are just too wide a variable to guarantee a nob blemish finish compared to acrylic/silicone renders

Advertisement