Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

777-300 Engine Surging with Fuel Burning periodically just after takeoff.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Aircraft landed back after 12 minutes, it's basically what is known as a surge, probably caused by damage as a result of a bird strike during the take off roll. Looks dramatic, but not actually that dangerous, and only "terrifying" to people like media journalists looking to fill column inches.

The aircraft is fully capable of flying on one engine, even just after take off. Having said that, the flight deck crew would have had plenty to do, so it may not have been possible for them to communicate what was happening to the cabin, the workload would have been high, and talking to the cabin would have been low on the priority list.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aircraft landed back after 12 minutes, it's basically what is known as a surge, probably caused by damage as a result of a bird strike during the take off roll. Looks dramatic, but not actually that dangerous, and only "terrifying" to people like media journalists looking to fill column inches.

The aircraft is fully capable of flying on one engine, even just after take off. Having said that, the flight deck crew would have had plenty to do, so it may not have been possible for them to communicate what was happening to the cabin, the workload would have been high, and talking to the cabin would have been low on the priority list.

Agreed, very high workload preparing for an overweight landing, descent and landing checklists, engine surge checklists, talking to the cabin defo not a priority. I could, however, see how perturbing this might be for a passenger seeing flames shooting out of an engine, so you can't blame the passengers for feeling a tad terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I would suggest it would be terrifying enough for passengers as well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I would respectfully suggest that an engine shooting flames is likely to be terrifying to just about everyone who isn't a professional pilot.

Even those who do know how these things work are likely to be at least moderately unsettled by the loss of one engine, as there will be a real problem if something happens to the other one.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I had a bird strike on approach around half a year ago, went through a flock of geese, one geese destroyed the spinner/governor, the other one killed the engine itself. On one hand, sure enough, engine failure drills are the most practiced drills in the sim so that by itself is not that much of a problem. On the other hand, sim never really prepares you for the smell of fumes and burned feather/flesh that promptly enters the cabin/flight deck. Suddenly instead of one checklist/memory items set, you need to juggle 3 and prioritize well.. It does get your blood pumping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I understand the B777-ER300 are certified for single engine auto-land.
    I can understand the passengers worries but the old rule of Aviate-Navigate-Communicate
    may have been what kept the crew from briefing the passengers during the incident.
    Good work by the crew to land anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I understand the B777-ER300 are certified for single engine auto-land.

Not while at close to takeoff weight mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Off topic but what a plain livery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I prefer to take the positives rather than the sensational media spin - "777 engine gets taken out, is spurting fire, but still lands no problem and everyone goes home. Modern engineering, folks."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Gear retraction would have been handy but the noise of a compressor stalling believe me is like an explosion in the flight deck and certainly is a distraction factor

• Advertisement
Advertisement