Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Boxing. Smith vs Ryder. Wilder vs Ortiz 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

9-3 Smith hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭squinn2912

117-111 seems really unfair. Marginal. I think smith got better shots off you can’t give points for pushing into a corner and nutting as much as it drains energy. What’s certain though Smith’s stock hasn’t gone up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think a motivated BJS beats Callum fairly easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Enjoyable enough fight but I find I usually end up with a sour taste in my mouth watching some of these scores on Eddies cards.

Canelo will murder him

Lost a lot of respect for Andy Lee recently too. Going full Sky company man.

Saying it doesn't matter that Crolla won by robbery the other week and now that scorecard tonight giving Smith the 12th round which he clearly lost. Abysmal.

• Advertisement

Ironically this might make the Canelo fight much more likely. He’s be thinking easy night’s work looking at that.

Blaming the quality of his opponent tonight on a ****e performance! Making himself less likeable aswell! Well done Callum Smith, Jesus!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Ironically this might make the Canelo fight much more likely. He’s be thinking easy night’s work looking at that.

Yep, he would be thinking a handy night alright, he would be wanting the knock out to be sure if it's fought in the UK

Eddie Hearn is also full of ****e as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

squinn2912 wrote: »

It would be an easy nights work for him, he would do well to last 6 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Lost a lot of respect for Andy Lee recently too. Going full Sky company man.

Saying it doesn't matter that Crolla won by robbery the other week and now that scorecard tonight giving Smith the 12th round which he clearly lost. Abysmal.

Lee was talking a bit of nonsense tonight, alright.

Eddie saying that his phone was ringing during the fight from potential opponents is a joke.
    I'd love to see BJS vs Smith in a unification. I reckon BJS schools him.

walshb wrote: »
    Lee was talking a bit of nonsense tonight, alright.

Disappointing, he's usually great to listen to but you don't bite the hand that feeds you I suppose

Eddie saying that his phone was ringing during the fight from potential opponents is a joke.
    I'd love to see BJS vs Smith in a unification. I reckon BJS schools him.

BJS is nothing like Ryder physically...

I think BJS more upright appearance makes it a more comfortable style for Smith..Smith has power and reach. BJS would find him a handfu.

Anyway, neither have done anything approaching special. They’ve fought eff all..

Fair play to Johnny Nelson! Going against the grain

If you stand there like Bellew and spend the night talking about why Smith struggled so much and justify his performance based on Ryder being a Southpaw then your really showing Smiths level

BJS is nothing like Ryder physically...

I think BJS more upright appearance makes it a more comfortable style for Smith..Smith has power and reach. BJS would find him a handfu.

Anyway, neither have done anything approaching special. They’ve fought eff all..

Hopefully they both fight and we can consider the winner to be decent. Because so far neither are much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If Ryder was the big name there and the champion the 117-111 116-112 scores would have been for him. Was a close fight but there was no way Ryder was getting any decision there tonight. It’s frustrating but it’s just the way boxing is and I doubt it will ever change.

Johner wrote: »
    If Ryder was the big name there and the champion the 117-111 116-112 scores would have been for him. Was a close fight but there was no way Ryder was getting any decision there tonight. It’s frustrating but it’s just the way boxing is and I doubt it will ever change.

You’re dead right there. Interesting to see punches landed stats when they come out. I reckon smith up on that. You really have to take the belt off the champ. I don’t think he quite did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I felt Ryder had the better of it on the night landing the more meaningful shots.
    There was plenty of close rounds but I thought the scorecards were a complete joke.

With 9-3, the only rounds the judge gave to Ryder were ones you couldn’t attempt to justify giving the other way. May as well have his brother scoring it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

colly10 wrote: »
    I felt Ryder had the better of it on the night landing the more meaningful shots.
    There was plenty of close rounds but I thought the scorecards were a complete joke.

With 9-3, the only rounds the judge gave to Ryder were ones you couldn’t attempt to justify giving the other way. May as well have his brother scoring it

Well actually considering Paul had it 5-2 Callum after 7 rounds, he probably gave Ryder more rounds than Terry O'Connor did !

• Advertisement

Xu Can v Josh Warrington is a guaranteed fight of the year contender if it happens in 2020. Can's work rate is unreal.

Honestly never seen power like Wilder's. Forehead shot and Ortiz is completely done. Unreal.

Wilder fights so timidly for such a puncher. Only really seriously opens up when his opponent is clearly hurt or clearly weaker...

Great finishing shot. That’s boxing. One punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Wilder is so limited with that one great equalizer. Surely its only a matter of time though before someone stays out of harms way for 36 mins

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Wilder is so limited with that one great equalizer. Surely its only a matter of time though before someone stays out of harms way for 36 mins

Yeh, but they still have to win the fight.

He’s so awkward and it is difficult to establish any real rhythm against him...

The division has nobody, really.

Fury’s style and Usyk’s style best suited...

But huge risk for either to not get tagged hard and clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Yeh, but they still have to win the fight.

He’s so awkward and it is difficult to establish any real rhythm against him...

The division has nobody, really.

Fury’s style and Usyk’s style best suited...

But huge risk for either to not get tagged hard and clean...

Usyk is too small and he doesnt hit hard enough to gain Wilders respect. He will win rounds handily but its a matter of time.

Fury has the size but again doesnt sit down on his shots enough to keep wilder honest, he will get tagged at some stage. Fury v Wilder 2 will be a fascinating fight though

Judges had it 59-55 x 2 and 58-56 to Ortiz after 6.
    I know it doesn’t matter now but how can anyone have seen 2 rounds for Wilder?
    I thought he perhaps won the 3rd but that’s it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wilder is a freak amongst freaks. He didn't wind up hugely on that punch to end the fight, just let it go. The leverage he has is insane. He can truly lose every second of a fight bar one and still win by ko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Omar juarez looks like someone that could sell out a pay per view in a couple of fights but his opponent looks like he took money to wear them Nike’s and put them on for the first time before the fight to realise they have no grip.

• Advertisement

Wilder has the most powerful punch in the history of the sport.

Impossible to verify...

Just looking at boxrec doesn’t cut it...

He’s certainly in the mix..

Advertisement