Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for business opportunity or advice

Options
  • 23-11-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I own this website ireland.re (this is not an ad nor spam link, the website is still in its infant stage), created it with an idea of Irish Real Estate hence the domain Ireland.re.
    All ads posted there now are specimen just to demonstrate how it is supposed to be.
    Now, I hope there's a potential for growth and expansion, my question is if anyone here is working in this particular area (real estate) and can give me some advice or maybe partner up and kick start this project. It has facebook page and generates some organic traffic from there, but it's very little. Is there's any possibility to make something out of it?
    I have other projects in progress and this particular one is not my priority but I don't wanna dump it. If you have any other ideas, something new to build around this domain related to Ireland (tourism, trade, etc.), I'd consider it.

PM me for discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

irelandre wrote: »
    I own this website ireland.re (this is not an ad nor spam link, the website is still in its infant stage), created it with an idea of Irish Real Estate hence the domain Ireland.re.
    All ads posted there now are specimen just to demonstrate how it is supposed to be.
    Now, I hope there's a potential for growth and expansion, my question is if anyone here is working in this particular area (real estate) and can give me some advice or maybe partner up and kick start this project. It has facebook page and generates some organic traffic from there, but it's very little. Is there's any possibility to make something out of it?
    I have other projects in progress and this particular one is not my priority but I don't wanna dump it. If you have any other ideas, something new to build around this domain related to Ireland (tourism, trade, etc.), I'd consider it.

PM me for discussion

I would say you have made a fatal error using the .RE domain. It's the domain for Reunion Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irelandre

davindub wrote: »
    I would say you have made a fatal error using the .RE domain. It's the domain for Reunion Island?

I don't see any error here. There's no strict rules on using ccTLD only for the country it is referring to. A lot of tech companies use .io which is meant for British Indian Ocean territories, did they make an error?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I don't see any error here. There's no strict rules on using ccTLD only for the country it is referring to. A lot of tech companies use .io which is meant for British Indian Ocean territories, did they make an error?

Yes they have according to some commentators, I have experience in marketing a new .com in a Irish only context, I think it was made significantly harder than using a equivalent .ie. Yes .io was internationalised by some notable companies (some of these tech companies have moved on from .io since), but the .re hasn't been.

https://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors#domain

Another thing that really will go against the .re is that you just don't have a physical address like a company page might to tie it to Ireland if you are going to use a different ccTLD.

Look I'm not trying to knock what you did, but growing traffic organically is the hardest part of what you are trying to do and you are competing with some really established websites. By your domain name choice and extension , I think you have made an error, you can imagine someone searching "Ireland property", "Ireland property search" will be unlikely to come across your website organically. At least if you had a distinctive name, if you searched by name you would probably find it on page 1.

Anyway I think since you have other projects that you prefer, part of you recognises the scale of the challenge ahead? You have a domain but no firm idea of what it can be used for, the .RE may be relevant to real estate, the "Ireland" may be useful to tourism. The website hasn't been developed beyond installing WP and a theme and some demo content and some tiny facebook traffic. I think you could walk away from this and not regret it too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irelandre

davindub wrote: »
    Yes they have according to some commentators, I have experience in marketing a new .com in a Irish only context, I think it was made significantly harder than using a equivalent .ie. Yes .io was internationalised by some notable companies (some of these tech companies have moved on from .io since), but the .re hasn't been.

Another thing that really will go against the .re is that you just don't have a physical address like a company page might to tie it to Ireland if you are going to use a different ccTLD.

Look I'm not trying to knock what you did, but growing traffic organically is the hardest part of what you are trying to do and you are competing with some really established websites. By your domain name choice and extension , I think you have made an error, you can imagine someone searching "Ireland property", "Ireland property search" will be unlikely to come across your website organically. At least if you had a distinctive name, if you searched by name you would probably find it on page 1.

Anyway I think since you have other projects that you prefer, part of you recognises the scale of the challenge ahead? You have a domain but no firm idea of what it can be used for, the .RE may be relevant to real estate, the "Ireland" may be useful to tourism. The website hasn't been developed beyond installing WP and a theme and some demo content and some tiny facebook traffic. I think you could walk away from this and not regret it too much?

On one hand you sound right and reasonable. On the other hand I said what I wanted to say in my original post - if anyone might have some fresh ideas, we could bring it to life somehow. I still think there might be potential, maybe someone has better vision and we could team up.
    And if it's a stillborn dead-end project no one gets interested in, I can live with that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Find someone that thinks the Ireland.Re think is catchy and fits for their marketing and sell it to them for a few hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OP, other than the domain name, what are you bringing to a potential business? Because the domain name has little inherent value. Unless it has already-existing related traffic, or an instantly recognisable unique selling point (of which there are maybe a handful in each business - if you were the owner of home.ie, that might be valuable), then what value would a business have in taking you on has a partner, instead of just purchasing a cheap domain like, say, ireland.realestate or ireland.house or some variation of real-estate.ie/realestate.ie/myrealestate.ie/sellyourhome.ie?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

.re is certainly inferior, but that is the least of your worries.

You are late to market, very late, at least 15 years late to what is now a relatively mature market. Your brand equity is almost zero which means almost zero business. To build the brand you need shedloads of resources and money before you have any chance of coming near to the well established brands. And need an awful lot of money to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I bet Myhome.ie and daft.ie would crap themselves with worry on this new entrant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Google treats some ccTLDs as if they are generic TLDs. Examples include .io .me .tv .ws

.re is not one of those ccTLDs so I don't see how the domain would have any value/use at all.

Advertisement