Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone not releasing NUC code for handset.

Options
  • 23-11-2019 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Took out a contract with Vodafone two years ago for a high end smartphone. Recently, as I was out of contract I chose to move to a better 30 day sim only deal with another provider. As handset is tied to Vodafone I requested network unblocking code. Over one month later and numerous calls to their support, escalations to supervisors etc. I am still no clearer about when and if I will receive the NUC code for what is now my handset. How do I resolve this? As I was out of contract I assume that the handset and all data associated with it is now my property. Vodafone are in effect refusing to provide me with something that is legally mine. By doing so they are rendering a pice of equipment with an original value of over €1000 worthless. How can they get away with this..... Where can I turn for help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irishneo

i filled out the form on there site and had the code for my iphone in less than a week.
    worth a try

https://nac.vodafone.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

irishneo wrote: »
    i filled out the form on there site and had the code for my iphone in less than a week.
    worth a try

https://nac.vodafone.ie/

Thanks but already did that over 4 weeks ago. Checked with customer service when I got no reply after 10 days and they gave me some story about having system problems and asked me to fill it in again which I duly did. Still no response......

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

LostInLM wrote: »
    Thanks but already did that over 4 weeks ago. Checked with customer service when I got no reply after 10 days and they gave me some story about having system problems and asked me to fill it in again which I duly did. Still no response......

Just go onto ebay all get a code, prob cost around €10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Had this problem recently with 3, was just about to use this site https://www.unlockriver.com/ after watching a video on YouTube about unlocking. But then 3 came through. Op, Vodafone have to get apple to unlock it, when they do, you don’t get a code, you just wipe data from phone, then when you connect to iTunes, it automatically unlocks so you can put new sim in.

Try doing that, if Vodafone sent request to Apple, it may be unlocked now even though Vodafone don’t know.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Had this problem recently with 3, was just about to use this site https://www.unlockriver.com/ after watching a video on YouTube about unlocking. But then 3 came through. Op, Vodafone have to get apple to unlock it, when they do, you don’t get a code, you just wipe data from phone, then when you connect to iTunes, it automatically unlocks so you can put new sim in.

Try doing that, if Vodafone sent request to Apple, it may be unlocked now even though Vodafone don’t know.

Unfortunately mine is a Sony! Trying the private route as totally fed up. Any way that I can bill Vodafone if the other crowd comes good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Unfortunately mine is a Sony! Trying the private route as totally fed up. Any way that I can bill Vodafone if the other crowd comes good!!
    contact comreg they should sort it

massy086 wrote: »
    contact comreg they should sort it

I did, now things have taken an interesting twist.

Comreg advised to raise an individual complaint case with Vodafone and seek a unique reference id for the complaint. Their code of practice gives the operator 10 working days to resolve the complaint before Comreg will pick up.

Thing is, when I ring or chat online to vodafone customer service they refuse to give me a unique reference number. Instead citing that I must get a call back from a supervisor or manager and that they will provide the number.

They cite that they have a case opened with Sony and are awaiting a reply from them! I contacted Sony customer support and their response was "nothing to do with them" and that its an operators prerogative whether to lock handset to their network.

Try to raise a complaint at complaints.vodafone.ie and first thing they ask for is a unique reference number!

Vodafone informed me it will take up to 24 hours for a manager to call back. I haven't received the call yet!

Vodafone truly are taking the p**s at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Thing is, when I ring or chat online to vodafone customer service they refuse to give me a unique reference number. Instead citing that I must get a call back from a supervisor or manager and that they will provide the number.

Try to raise a complaint at complaints.vodafone.ie and first thing they ask for is a unique reference number!

Vodafone informed me it will take up to 24 hours for a manager to call back. I haven't received the call yet!

Have similar problems with Vodafone related to the Pixel thread. I think complaints to Joe/on twitter about this is the way to get around this by Vodafone.

You can send a snailmail letter to them too without a complaint reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

It really is mind boggling why people still accept vodafone as there provider, there are much better deals out there so why sign up for a deal that is so inferior to other nextwork providers, vodafone data allowence is well below other providers and is more expensive. Why sell yourself short? I find vodafone arragent o deal with. They need to start matching other providers but most inprotantly people need to break tbe habbit of staying with one provider

It really is mind boggling why people still accept vodafone as there provider, there are much better deals out there so why sign up for a deal that is so inferior to other nextwork providers, vodafone data allowence is well below other providers and is more expensive. Why sell yourself short? I find vodafone arragent o deal with. They need to start matching other providers but most inprotantly people need to break tbe habbit of staying with one provider

That's the crux of the issue. I want to move away, now I'm being held to ransom because they have a network lock on my handset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Best thing to do is bite the bullet and bring your phone into a placeto unlock ut, will pay off for you, then just changed providers and don't look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Worst thing that Eir and Vodafone did was to get rid of their community forums, those places are the best way to get issues like these fixed

Best thing to do is bite the bullet and bring your phone into a placeto unlock ut, will pay off for you, then just changed providers and don't look back.

:rolleyes: Looks like this is the best way to go. Or else flash it myself. Its nothing more than an expensive paperweight at the moment so at least I'll get to update my tech skills.

So long Vodafone. This has been an eye opening experience. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I had same issue, they wouldn't follow their complaints procedure but comreg have raised the issue twice with Vodafone and still no engagement with me. When do comreg start to fine them?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭celiam

I currently have the same issue with vodafone. I am waiting 23 working days for my nac. Vodafone tells me it is the manufacturer of the phone[huewei] who provide them with the code and they haven't received it yet. Despite contacting comreg and Vodafone not providing me with a complaint no I don't know what else to do. Vodafone manager was supposed to phone me back and provide me with a complaint ref. but didn't. I even sent Aine O'leary (vodafone Ireland CEO) an email about my issues with her company but she didn't reply either.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bunderoon

It can take up to 6-8 weeks to get the code from them. You'd swear it's their tactic to wear you down and just stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I think it's about time that the regulator considered bringing in a rule that the NUC is automatically provided to the customer when their contract period expires.

bunderoon wrote: »
    It can take up to 6-8 weeks to get the code from them. You'd swear it's their tactic to wear you down and just stay with them.
    Initially they told me that it would take 7 working days (as per their site info) when i hadn't got it after that I phoned them and was told it can take 10 working days from Huawei. Now waiting 23 working days and haven't received code. Vodafone are saying my request is been processed and blaming huawei for the delay. Nothing but lies from them

I think it's about time that the regulator considered bringing in a rule that the NUC is automatically provided to the customer when their contract period expires.[/QUOT
    Agree with that totally but find Com reg as much use as a chocolate teapot

I did, now things have taken an interesting twist.

Comreg advised to raise an individual complaint case with Vodafone and seek a unique reference id for the complaint. Their code of practice gives the operator 10 working days to resolve the complaint before Comreg will pick up.

They cite that they have a case opened with Sony and are awaiting a reply from them! I contacted Sony customer support and their response was "nothing to do with them" and that its an operators prerogative whether to lock handset to their network.

welcome to the pi**ed of vodafone customer club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bunderoon

celiam wrote: »
    Initially they told me that it would take 7 working days (as per their site info) when i hadn't got it after that I phoned them and was told it can take 10 working days from Huawei. Now waiting 23 working days and haven't received code. Vodafone are saying my request is been processed and blaming huawei for the delay. Nothing but lies from them

Yep. My work phone is from voda and it's a dual sim. The took their time sending the code even after many emails and calls to them. 6-8 weeks...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had the same problem. Applied for the code via their website, heard nothing, had to hound them for a response and eventually got some email saying it would be 20 working days (Samsung) so I asked in the Android forum, and a very helpful poster recommended an Irish based Ebay unlocker.

I paid around €10, sent the IMEI number and within 24 hours he sent the code and it worked perfectly. I still haven't heard anything else from Vodafone.

Then the saga of trying to get in touch with them to cancel the insurance for the phone. Took days and I ended up having to go in to a store because you can't speak to someone by phone and online chat seems to be offline most of the time. I don't know what happened to them because previously I always found their customer service great, never had any trouble contacting them. They must have scaled back the service side in a major way because all their forums are gone now, online chat and phone is always "busy" and their twitter is very hit and miss.

I'd move networks in a heartbeat but Vodafone is the only one that I can get decent signal on where I live, so I'm stuck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

I wonder if you could give me name of the Irish based unlock site that you mentioned? I’m trying to get code for iPhone locked to VF and interested in paying to get it done at this stage!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

https://www.ebay.ie/usr/gsmsolver?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

That’s the one I used.

I wonder how these guys can come up with it in 24 hours, but Vodafone takes months!

I’m not sure if this one does iPhone ones, but if you search for it on eBay, make sure and read the seller feedback to see if they’ve gotten good/bad reviews from previous customers.

Advertisement