Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old birthday advice?

Options
  • 23-11-2019 11:31pm

Hi all,

It's my little girls second birthday in a few weeks. We're going to night lights in Dublin Zoo for the actual day, but thinking we should really throw a little party.

Thing is, our apartment is tiny, and wholly unsuitable for any sort of gathering, whatever about kids.

The challenging part:

A) We're pretty broke, so budget has to come in to play unfortunately.
    B) Neither of us drive, so it would have to be accessible to Dublin City or the Southside by public transport.

There would probably be Around 7-10 adults and 8-10 or so kids under 5.

Any ideas, because I can't think of anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My advice is don’t feel you have to throw a party! You don’t! In a couple of years your child will know it’s her birthday and will really want a party, but at the moment they don’t know the difference., enjoy your family day out and have a cake on the day for the photos!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's loads of time for parties. Wait till she starts school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its ok to have a party provided you recognise that its for you and your friends, not for the child and other children of her age.

Alternatively leave it till next year, or better still the year after, which is quite soon enough to start regularising a play date and filling the kids with various forms of sugar and additives.

Am I a grump and a grinch? Yes, where children's parties are concerned.

Thanks all.

We did that last year (just the three of us celebrating her birthday). This year, because we're making friends with kids the same age (who's parties we've been invited to), I suppose I feel a bit of pressure about it.

But they're able to have parties in their houses, (and everyone else seems to be born between May and September lol!), so we are at a massive disadvantage with our location.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Spare yourself while you still can. Give her a lovely day and leave it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As your child gets older you will have the discussion 'why can't I do so-and-so, everyone else is going/ allowed/ doing it'. And your answer will be 'Well you are not 'everyone' and its just not going to happen' Or a more skilfully phrased version of that. And this is what you have here. Sometimes stuff is not possible, so don't do it. Unless you are great friends with all the parents they will not even notice. And if they do just say 'where we are at the moment is too small we couldn't possibly have a crowd, it would not be fair on the children, and we couldn't invite some and not others. Another year maybe, when we have more space'.

Have a lovely day at the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

100% agree with the others. Enjoy your day at the zoo, have a cake just for whoever is around on the day and leave parties for later!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks all.

We did that last year (just the three of us celebrating her birthday). This year, because we're making friends with kids the same age (who's parties we've been invited to), I suppose I feel a bit of pressure about it.

But they're able to have parties in their houses, (and everyone else seems to be born between May and September lol!), so we are at a massive disadvantage with our location.

That's all a two year old wants really. You could invite one or two other kids, but realistically at the age of two, it's all about family, cake, blowing out candles and nice pressies that don't cost the moon and only a two year old can appreciate.

Happy birthday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Few suggestions:
    ~Scale back the party ( two or three children)
    ~Look at hiring a room in a Gaa centre or sports hall and bring in your own food and decorate room balloons etc. budget is a consideration though
    ~Postpone the full party and then have a double party with a child who has a birthday next year- could you hire a hall as I mentioned and split the cost then get a food delivery from a local takeaway
    ~ Do the birthday as you planned now ( first poster gave really good advice I thought as did everyone )about taking photos, making it memorable, candles cake, plus decorations etc get some balloons and make or buy a birthday banner, it’s coming up to Christmas so maybe include some Christmas themes like a Santa poster or decorations etc.

Totally get that as a parent you want to make the birthday nice for your child and feel you’ve done your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks all.

Given the proximity the Christmas it’s perfectly acceptable to not do a party if you don’t want to. The other parents will thank you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

bee06 wrote: »
    Given the proximity the Christmas it’s perfectly acceptable to not do a party if you don’t want to. The other parents will thank you for it.

Completely agree!! Believe me those parents who invited you to their kids parties will not be annoyed you didn’t invite them back. They will be delighted. Does any adult actually enjoy attending kids parties?! Particularly the ghastly play centre ones. Honestly don’t do it!

Advertisement