Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auto-levelling headlights

• 24-11-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I had the awful experience of my headlights move to their lowest setting 30 mins into a 3h journey at night on N-Roads.

The warning light came on briefly during the summer but not in months so I thought it was just an intermittent thing. No warning light on, no problem, right? Wrong!

It eventually kinda returned to normal but over the last few days has been completely aimed at the 3 metres immediately in front of the bumper. There is no manual dial to raise/lower the lights. The car has factory fitted HIDs so it's fully automatic.

So where do I start to diagnose/fix this? It's a 2012 Subaru Outback. No Subaru dealer near me (and the last time I went to the nearest I swore 'never again').

I think it's a suspension load sensor as both lights do it, so if there was a motor on each side of which one failed it would be askew. But what is the sensor called, and where the hell is it? Is this a possible DIY job for a normal bloke without a lift or is it indeed a huge pita to fix?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

It’s almost certainly the ride height sensor most cars just have one at the rear.

I’ve replaced one on pretty much every car I’ve owned.

Get under it and see if you can locate it and see if it’s broken. Vw/Audi usually put them on the rear passenger side not sure about Subaru. They usually physically break but the last one I needed to replace wasn’t physically broken but had failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

Yep, spot on.

I got a guy to stick it up on the lift and he spotted it immediately. Broken.

Balls of a yoke to find online too. €265 new from Subaru. :(

Pique wrote: »
    Yep, spot on.

I got a guy to stick it up on the lift and he spotted it immediately. Broken.

Balls of a yoke to find online too. €265 new from Subaru. :(

If you move the broken arm on the potentiometer to the position it would be in if it wasn’t broken you’ll get your headlight range back to what it should be - at least you can drive safely at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

Yeah did that alright but haven't checked it in the dark yet.

Actually found the little bar online for £40. Might take a gamble on it rather than the €265

Pique wrote: »
    Yeah did that alright but haven't checked it in the dark yet.

Actually found the little bar online for £40. Might take a gamble on it rather than the €265

Worth a try, 265 is a haevy price, average Audi, VW price was 100e, latest one i bought was for a MK7 golf that was 180 ish i think (can't remember)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I had the same issue on a Saab 9-5 Aero I had. Replaced both sensors for €100. Worked flawlessly afterwards.

Advertisement