Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 amp socket

Options
  • 24-11-2019 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

I have 3 standalone lamps plugged into 3 5amp sockets in each corner of my living room.
    They are controlled by a dimmer switch that is part of a 3 gang 400 watt dimmer switch. The other two dimmer switches control a pendant light and a couple of spot lights.

I was wondering could I disconnect one of the standalone lamps and connect two Christmas tree light sets into its 5amp plug and socket instead.
    This would mean one of the dimmer switches on the 3 gang plate would now be controlling two standalone lamps and two Christmas tree light sets.

Would this work safely?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No.

Why not? As long as the current doesn't exceed 5 amps what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

aido79 wrote: »
    Why not? As long as the current doesn't exceed 5 amps what's the problem?

Because the dimmer will mess with the waveform.

Also the driver won't have a 5A plug on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The simplest solution is to replace the dimmer with simple on/off type switches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Or plug them into a 13a socket.

Are they LED lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Won't work unfortunately. The dimmer modifies the mains electricity going to the bulb.

So, you'd be feeding a weird chopped up mains signal from the dimmer into the Christmas light power transformer.

Its expecting a normal signal, so it won't like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Think I will leave it as is. I had thought that the dimmer switch might mess with the Christmas lights alright.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    Or plug them into a 13a socket.

Are they LED lights?

Yes, I was assuming that the location of the 5A socket outlets suited best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I was assuming that the location of the 5A socket outlets suited best.

Yea I was just saying that might be easier than all the messing about.

Dimmers sometimes can be left at full, and clicked on and off.

And we dont know if they were leds or standard incandescent which could have a 5a plug fitted probably. Probably led.

Advertisement