Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter cycling

Options
  • 24-11-2019 2:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting a bike soon and looking for tips for the winter. Should I avoid cycling in icy or snowy conditions. I knew someone who was always cycling and they brought out their bike when it snowed in 2018. I suppose the roads will be gritted and will be easier?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Depending on the bike I wouldnt be cycling in the snow or ice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've studded ice tyres which work well in most conditions. Bit of a pain to put on and heavy but do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll be getting a bike soon and looking for tips for the winter. Should I avoid cycling in icy or snowy conditions. I knew someone who was always cycling and they brought out their bike when it snowed in 2018. I suppose the roads will be gritted and will be easier?

If you’re new to cycling then I suggest you avoid icy/snow conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also, re cycling in the cold - beware extra corrosion on your bike if the roads have been gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Your local council should have a map of the routes they grit
    I'd use these going to Dublin when it's dry and cold, but not when its wet(i.e. risk of standing water frozen, or the like)

When its falling snow, the bike is grand, the wheels will cut down to the road surface, when its hard on the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Your local council should have a map of the routes they grit
    I'd use these going to Dublin when it's dry and cold, but not when its wet(i.e. risk of standing water frozen, or the like)

When its falling snow, the bike is grand, the wheels will cut down to the road surface, when its hard on the ground...

Had a bad crash a couple of years ago on the N11 cycle path in the snow near the bus depot. Grit the roads but not the cycle path and with black the bike literally disappeared...really scary....take great care of ice and bikes have little traction you cannot trust you'll find the gritted part of the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I cycle in anything but ice. Snow I find grand.
    If you're starting out, be observant and take it easy, lock the bike up and get PT if it's getting slippery or you feel unsafe.
    You will be fine, but I wouldn't knowingly cycle in icy conditions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

falling on a bike on ice is (in my experience) violent. having been knocked down, and having been the author of my own misfortune, due to inattention, it was slipping on ice which felt the most violent, because it felt like someone kicked the front wheel out from under me without any warning whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep, had that on one occasion. Saw the ice ahead, decided I'd just roll through easy without steering/pedalling. Was on the ground with practically no warning...

I should point out in the interest of fairness, that in the three incidents I mentioned, I did actually come off lightest falling on the ice. The bike, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree with everyone else. Not worth the risk if the roads are icy unless you like hospital food:D

Advertisement