Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build...tips and starting points

Options
  • 24-11-2019 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

In the process of buying a new build(hold on it and with solicitors etc) and spending all my time online/window shopping. We're going to move in when it's a shell and do it in stages so we won't be paying rent and a mortgage. Going pricing kitchens soon but wondering have people ordered much appliances/sinks etc online? Anyone use wish or is that way too risky for like a large kitchen sink?
    Also plan is buy washing machine, American style fridge freezer, oven and bed in store in black friday sale and see from there.
    Pay the extra for a timber frame kitchen or have laminate for a few years??
    Going to ask foreman if he has any kitchen recommendations or interested in doing it himself in the evenings cash?? Does this happen, someone told me to ask����*♀️
    I live in a city so do people reckon going to smaller electrical shops /floor sellers is better for price and installation or stick with right price tiles and the likes?

Also, going to get a house alarm and never had one before so will shop around, monitored alarms best I assume? 101 qs today�� All tips welcome as we live about 2 hours from family and not 'in the building game'

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you buying the new build from a developer?
    Is it in a multi unit estate?

Legally speaking the developer cannot allow you to move into the shell as it won’t comply with building regulations. They will also have to have some form of kitchen in place, particularly running water and sink etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matildamurray

They have sinks, toilets, showers, running water. Also will hopefully get kitchen moving before we move in...aiming mid January, is that overly ambitious?? Yep, from a developer in an estate. We get an allowance towards the kitchen and wardrobes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They have sinks, toilets, showers, running water. Also will hopefully get kitchen moving before we move in...aiming mid January, is that overly ambitious?? Yep, from a developer in an estate. We get an allowance towards the kitchen and wardrobes.

Agh ok. When you say she’ll, that usually means just structurally complete with no finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Also hoping to move into a new build soon, also currently window shopping like it's my full time job.

I'm no expert here - but if you really want the timber frame kitchen and you can spring for it, then do it. Paying for a place-holder kitchen now and planning to rip it out sounds like it'll cost you more time and effort in the long run.

Advertisement