Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Syrian "Gas Attack" of 2018 fake news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The Syrian war has been a ****show from day one, and though I haven’t read the link you provided (but I will) even if ou take out this incident, Assad has been butchering the populace for years, supported by Putin and the Iranians.

The fact that the Western nations have been incompetent in relation to how to deal with it has made the situation even worse. We’re left in a place now where Turkey has invaded part of Syria, Putin has started to call in the favours, for which the Syrians will pay for for years, and the US has forces now securing oil fields to steal the natural resources of the Syrian people.

When history judges us in years to come, it will not be for the better.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

After the whole weapons of mass destruction "found" in Iraq as a prelude to that land/oil grab I'd not be too surprised.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I remember trying to argue with all the jihadist apologists in threads like this back in the day, where are they all now?
    Although the reports and films could not be independently verified, as the alleged events took place in a war zone then under the control of brutal Islamist militants,
    Theres the answer to your question OP, no journalists would dare go anywhere near areas under the control of brutal Islamic militants but the western media, including RTE were very enthusiastic in spreading ISIS propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Obama made a brave decision not to attack Syria after everyone was screaming that Assad has crossed his “red lines” with chemical attacks.

There just wasn’t enough evidence, and even at then some voices like Robert Fisk and Seymour Hersh were skeptical.

Now, what about the remaining Al Qaeda stronghold in Idlib. Are they still “rebels”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I remember trying to argue with all the jihadist apologists in threads like this back in the day, where are they all now?

Theres the answer to your question OP, no journalists would dare go anywhere near areas under the control of brutal Islamic militants but the western media, including RTE were very enthusiastic in spreading ISIS propaganda.

Robert Fisk, I believe it was, went and said that he didn't think it was a chemical attack.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-chemical-attack-gas-douma-robert-fisk-ghouta-damascus-a8307726.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I don't know, where did all the imaginary jihadist apologists go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

, Assad has been butchering the populace for years, supported by Putin and the Iranians.

pre the uprising - which lets not forget was funded by foreign powers - assad was quite the reformer in Syria most probably influenced by his time in the west especially London.

When the civil war started he had to ditch the reformer types and bring back the hardline advisors of his father for the long hard slog of civil war.
    Of course it was brutal , war is. What was he supposed to do ?
    Let's not forget much of Syria was pro assad and supported him.

interestingly all "western" enemies in the middle east worthy of attack have been the secularist types who you'd imagine would be allies of the west,

but nah US/UK need that Saudi cash and of to dance to whatever tune comes from the Knesset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

paw patrol wrote: »
    pre the uprising - which lets not forget was funded by foreign powers - assad was quite the reformer in Syria most probably influenced by his time in the west especially London.

When the civil war started he had to ditch the reformer types and bring back the hardline advisors of his father for the long hard slog of civil war.
    Of course it was brutal , war is. What was he supposed to do ?
    Let's not forget much of Syria was pro assad and supported him.

interestingly all "western" enemies in the middle east worthy of attack have been the secularist types who you'd imagine would be allies of the west,

but nah US/UK need that Saudi cash and of to dance to whatever tune comes from the Knesset.

Very true. Also, all the shilling for "moderate" rebels in Western media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't know, where did all the imaginary jihadist apologists go?
    I have no idea where all the posters who parroted the reports from 'rebels', 'moderates', 'activists' and not to mention your man who lives in Coventry are now, how would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

sxt wrote: »

So, you mean just like the one in 2013?

• Advertisement

Robert Fisk visited just after it, he interviewed a variety of people, including doctors, and couldn't find any evidence that there was a gas attack. People were suffering from hypoxia (due to a massive cloud of dust as a result of shelling and aircraft overhead).

If the most distinguished of journalists (one of a last breed) can find no evidence, that's good enough for me. I'd take his word over the word of organisations with a myriad of ulterior motives every day until the end of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The head of the world’s chemical weapons watchdog has defended its conclusion that chlorine was used in an attack in Syria in April 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/25/chemical-weapons-watchdog-opcw-defends-syria-report-after-leaks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

As fake as Bana Alabad's English.

Advertisement