Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge species with red "berries"?

Options
  • 24-11-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Would anyone happen to know the species of the hedge shown in the attached photo which I took just recently (mid November)? I'd guess it's perhaps 8ft tall.

It has many red "berries" on it as can be observed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭standardg60

Pyracantha by the looks of it, been a great year for berries

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Are they edible? Make pretty jam... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Graces7 wrote: »
    Are they edible?

Don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

All berries are edible. Some are only edible once though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

endacl wrote: »
    All berries are edible. Some are only edible once though.

And these particular ones contain a cyanide type compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Would it be a good plant to use to surround a house, attached to about 250m of wire fence? Does it take much work? Just looking for something to give privacy and some security and looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not entirely self supporting, you would probably need a post for each plant, then keep topping it till it has thickened up and is the height you want it. At that stage it would probably hold itself up. When you get to this stage it will be impenetrable, with long sharp thorns. I don't think I would put it round a garden with children or pets, it really does have potential to injure someone falling into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hoboo wrote: »
    Would it be a good plant to use to surround a house, attached to about 250m of wire fence? Does it take much work? Just looking for something to give privacy and some security and looks good.

At some stage you'll want to trim it. Then you'll want someone else to trim it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    At some stage you'll want to trim it. Then you'll want someone else to trim it.

Someone with very tough gauntlets. Got to love Pyracantha as a defensive hedge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Make sure you get the right variety if you want red berries. Orange berries are more common on it.

Advertisement