Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping health insurance

• 24-11-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭

If I swap my current health insurance, to a higher cover one, do I keep all the benifits of my current plan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

2smiggy wrote: »
    If I swap my current health insurance, to a higher cover one, do I keep all the benifits of my current plan?

Yes, you'll only serve waiting times for new services/limits your increasing to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Just to be clear, while you don't have new waiting periods for anything in the new plan that was already covered in the old plan, you don't keep benefits that aren't in the new plan. For example, say the old plan covered Physiotherapy visits, but the new plan doesn't. By switching to the new plan, you lose that benefit, even if the overall cover is better.

It's usually not an issue if you're upgrading within the same insurer, as the higher plans are often a superset of the lower ones, but it's definitely something you want to check out if you're changing insurer

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

28064212 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, while you don't have new waiting periods for anything in the new plan that was already covered in the old plan, you don't keep benefits that aren't in the new plan. For example, say the old plan covered Physiotherapy visits, but the new plan doesn't. By switching to the new plan, you lose that benefit, even if the overall cover is better.

It's usually not an issue if you're upgrading within the same insurer, as the higher plans are often a superset of the lower ones, but it's definitely something you want to check out if you're changing insurer

thanks , I will make sure to compare the plans, and not knock off anything that could be of benefit to me !!

Advertisement